Slow to Warm Up (2017 CX-5)

2017 CX5 Grand Touring. Its slow to warm up compared to any other car I know. I live in MA and when the outside temp is only around 32 to 35F the engine does not reach operating temp until about 8 to 10 miles and over 15 mins. Max speed reached is 45 for a good portion of that. Heater control set to 72, fan on lowest and outside air. Car sits in a garage overnight and its about 55 in the attached garage in the morning. Overall trip is 45 min at max speeds of 70 and while it does reach normal (205 – 210) I think it takes too long. Dealer says normal. I have read somewhere the t-stat bypass is excessive and thus are stuck with this situation.
What do other folks experience?
I do plan on changing out the T-Stat but looking for any tips on what may also be going on than a slightly stuck open t-stat. Thanks.

Is this a change compared to the past with the car or is the car new to you and this is the first cold temperatures you are experiencing?

If you're taking your thermostat out, I suppose you could test your thermostat the old fashioned way by placing it in a pot on the stove with a thermometer and see what temperature it opens.

Or use an app on your phone such as FORScan to monitor the actual temperature of your coolant.

For our 2019 signature with the 2.2 diesel on a 36° morning a couple of days ago, I was 6mi / 8 min to 175°F coolant temperature (on the highway in 3mi)

Last edited:
Looks like ’17+ uses an electronic coolant valve

The heater on my ‘15 is starting to pump out heat within a block of mine on a cold start.

IMG_1876.jpeg

Last edited:
I notice the same thing compared to my Toyota. On a 30 degree morning it could be 2 or 3 miles before that blue light goes out, a few miles more until I get full heat. I haven't hooked up the OBD reader yet to compare temps, but I notice it. You could get a mechanical temp gauge and stick it in your radiator cap opening and see what temp the thermostat is opening.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

First off, how are you measuring engine temperatures? coolant or oil?

have your the fan set to either the lowest temperature or switch it off entirely for the first 10-15 minutes of driving. it will be almost at full operating temp within 20 min. This is based on oil and coolant temp logging from my laptop while I was ecu tuning. you do not need a new thermostat.. just make sure you're not robbing heat from the coolant to warm the cabin while its warming up and youre good.

Kedis82ZE8 > thanks for this, I had no idea this was the configuration. Perhaps this is why I was being told by dealer “not an issue.” I will pull that string.

Snorting2.5 > temp is measured solely by the dash gage so its coolant. I do have a PC (laptop) based OBD2 software that records, so I can do that for more info. As stated, I have the fan set to low and the temp set to 72. I do this to preclude fiddling too much with it during my commute > as the car warms up I crank it down to 70 or 69 having never touched the fan, at least in this part of the season. Since its garaged and starts off at 50 to 55, and with outside temps of around 32, to me 20 min is excessive for warmup time. If was 0 outside, sure.

Roger that. This is a fairly new to me car > was my wife’s but she now has a ‘22 turbo CX5 which seems to heat up faster. Perhaps I am used to my V8s but I also recently commuted for a few years in a 2011 Corolla that reached operating temp in half the time…

Roger that. This is a fairly new to me car > was my wife’s but she now has a ‘22 turbo CX5 which seems to heat up faster. Perhaps I am used to my V8s but I also recently commuted for a few years in a 2011 Corolla that reached operating temp in half the time…
The coolant gauge on a vehicle is by no means accurate... Don't overthink it.

cz5gt > Heater works normally. I was suspecting a faulty t-stat but per post no. 3 it uses a electric / computer controlled one.

Madar > I missed your comment about the thermometer. I do have one in my toolbox but with the new understanding of an electric valve vs. a typical t-stat, not sure of the approach.

Snorting2.5 > here is my thinking: the computer control of the value would be akin to a typical ‘modern’ wax t-stat or perhaps even a ‘tighter curve’ since computer controlled. As a 2017, and being a Mazda, a very savvy company, this vehicle takes advantage of every possible engineering ‘trick of the trade’ to both reduce emissions and maximize gas milage. Getting the engine to operating temp as rapidly as possible is one of the foundations to achieving this. Is there a way to validate the proper operation of the computer-controlled valve? Or is there any evidence of ‘too large or a bypass’ that you are aware of? Thanks for your continued help.

Only the cylinder deactivate models use the electronic valve controlled thermostat.

I dont think yours is such. Is your car late 2017 with CD?

If it is, then those a problematic unfortunately. I have the opposite problem on my 2018. Too hot.
If its not CD, you have normal tstat

Last edited:
We have a 17 CX5 GS, and it’s just like what you describe. Our 02 Toyota Tacoma heats up much faster and seems to put out hotter air. I have a 15 minute drive to work, same kind of speeds you are talking about, and in mild conditions, 15 or 20 above zero, it’s about to full temp by the time I get there. When it gets cold 0 to -25, it takes a bit longer. But, once it heats up, there is plenty of heat. When it’s really cold, I do let it warm up for a few minutes before I take off.

cz5gt > It is not a CD… so thanks for pointing that out. Date of mfg is 4/17

Jnclem > good to know that you are seeing the same. Thanks!

That is good. You got normal one then.
Is this the first DI ? DI are a bit slow initially. Unless its the tstat of course

Just as a data point, my NA took a while, too. The turbo is quite a bit faster to get warm air blowing. It's definitely not something I considered when debating the car.

FSM for my '15 shows

Thermostat initial-opening temperature
80.5—83.5 °C {177—182 °F}

Thermostat full-open temperature

95 °C {203 °F}

Thermostat full-open lift

8.5 mm {0.33 in} or more

Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.50.45 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.52.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.53.41 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.53.48 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 1.54.01 AM.png

Kedis82ZE8 > thanks for posting. I plan on flushing / replacing the coolant in soon (along with the t-stat) so appreciate the instructions. I will also hook up my pc based OBD2 and see if I can get a read / record over time the temps fm start.

Based on all the posts it appears it is operating normally, so thanks everyone!

2017 CX5 Grand Touring. Its slow to warm up compared to any other car I know. I live in MA and when the outside temp is only around 32 to 35F the engine does not reach operating temp until about 8 to 10 miles and over 15 mins. Max speed reached is 45 for a good portion of that. Heater control set to 72, fan on lowest and outside air. Car sits in a garage overnight and its about 55 in the attached garage in the morning. Overall trip is 45 min at max speeds of 70 and while it does reach normal (205 – 210) I think it takes too long. Dealer says normal. I have read somewhere the t-stat bypass is excessive and thus are stuck with this situation.
What do other folks experience?
I do plan on changing out the T-Stat but looking for any tips on what may also be going on than a slightly stuck open t-stat. Thanks.

I run a ScanGauge II to monitor trans temp while towing. My water temp reaches 180F at 7 miles from cold. The blue light goes off at 132F and about 2 miles. The trans temp gets to 180F at about 20 miles. It has always done this and has been very consistent through 114k miles.

During moderate cruise speed the engine/trans runs 185F/185F. At high speed on the highway they run 185/205.

During my normal routine, my speeds are always under 2500 RPM and 60 MPH, usually under 50 until fully warm.

BTW, don't change the coolant before 120k mi/10 years. check your manual.

Last edited:
Back