What have you done to your non-mazda today?

New mirrors came in today... and went on today. One of the pluses of working from home I suppose ;)

Here's what was on there:
IMG_20120124_180035.jpg

IMG_20120124_180050.jpg

To adjust elevation, you had to remove that big set screw, remove the mirror itself, loosen the screw that holds the bar-end into the bar and rotate the bar-end. Tighten everything back down, then set your "windage", and put the big set-screw back in, and hopefully don't nudge the mirror while you're doing that... That screw at the back of the mirror just holds the mirror on, doesn't do anything useful for adjustment.

Here's what went on:
IMG_20120124_180116.jpg

IMG_20120124_180128.jpg

IMG_20120124_180201.jpg

I haven't ridden yet, but I already like them better... they're about 1/2" bigger in diameter, so there's a good bit more visibility. They fold in, which is cool I guess, there's only 1 screw to loosen to adjust, and you can tweak it by hand afterwards. The only good thing about the old ones is that they had way better installation hardware than these did to install them onto the bars, so I swapped that from the old to the new and am very pleased. These would have *sucked* to install w/ the hardware they came with. It should be nice enough for me to take the bike in to work tomorrow, so I'll follow up I suppose, but I'm a fan so far.

I had the tranny and transfercase rebuilt because the dude messed that up too, $600! Picking it up on Friday so the Jeep will be driving this weekend.

Video teaser of it running!

Got a Battery Tender Jr. for my birthday :D
Basic routing
IMG_20120128_105606.jpg

I like it under the rear seat as, obviously, it comes off with the key, so it's secure but still easy to access, while not being 100% outside the bike. I'd originally planned on routing it out near the frame somewhere, but I like this a lot better.

IMG_20120128_105612.jpg

w00t Italian Flag zip-ties! Should make finding it in the dark in the garage a little easier.

IMG_20120128_105621.jpg

And finally, plugged up:
IMG_20120128_111014.jpg

Now I just need to get a longer extension cord to plug the BTjr into, and run a cable cover across the floor so we're not tripping over it ;)

I did a good bit to the Jeep which is why I haven't been on at all.

f2e56268.jpg

1f860760.jpg

da00980e.jpg

b612055d.jpg

c8509f22.jpg

It would look better if it wasn't flaking off. I'm totally embarrassed by the paint job. Have to repaint the whole Jeep too. When I feel up to it I will pull the motor and repaint everything. I have a sand blasting cabinet and powder coating oven so it will all be done the way I intended.

It's Original Sin hard cider. Soon I will have a PBR catch can for the oil on the other side.

SV650: Picked up a few drops of rain last night on the way home. Could probably count them on my fingers lol

Jetta: Has a slow leak in a heater hose in the engine bay near the thermostat housing, needs new brakes on the front, and probably at least 1 wheel bearing. That stuff probably will have to wait til later on when there's reliable good weather and I can get away with only having the bike for transportation, but the hose shouldn't be a hard job. I'll probably replace both of them while I'm there.

Pathfinder: It very suddenly yesterday, when we were nearly home from the airport (thankfully on surface streets), it picked up this very sudden "rotating clunk of doom" from the driver's side front wheel area. It went away when that side was laterally loaded, and got exponentially worse when that side was unloaded. I checked a few things (including putting my hands on the lug-nuts to make sure they weren't loose) on the side of the road then limped it home. After a 17 hour travel & work day, I crashed into bed dreading tearing into the suspension today. This morning I had a thought to check the lug-nuts again, because besides a wheel bearing (which are fairly new and recently re-packed), I couldn't think of anything else that would make that sort of racket. Sure enough, all 6 of them were 1/4 to 1/2 turn off of full tight. WTF?
I've had that happen on other cars, but always RIGHT after I'd worked on something. I'd forget to torque a wheel down and w/in 1/4 mile there was unmistakable noise that something was wrong. But I changed the brakes 2 months ago, and it just started making noise all of a sudden... Regardless, I'll probably put it up on jacks this weekend and check for any obvious signs of damage to the studs, but they weren't loose enough to really do any harm I hope. Weird issue, I'm just glad the suspension or something else wasn't the problem.

I parked my car in the driveway of the car, told me to avoid the fixed brake line, at the same time to take it home, I just busted their ass! I was lucky, it broke the slow block from my house and going for more than 90 freaking speed bumps.

Pathfinder got new tires and an oil change this weekend. It's a lot happier now and a lot less skittish in the rain lol

Took it for a little test run in my back yard. The granny gear is amazing, foot off the clutch and gas and it just idles on up!

Also came into some sweet Simpson 5 point restraints.

d14af36a.jpg

431313_10150566477825563_632010562_9431203_825590939_n.jpg

Spent some time carefully bending some of the alternator fan blades back into place. A few were bent out just enough to come in contact with the belt. Made a horrible racket. Getting better tho.

Took it for a drive up to the store and back. Probably blew thru a half a gallon in the 6 miles I drove it. Carbs are still tuned for Louisiana weather.

Got wet for the 1st time on the bike. So much for the weather holding off until "the over night hours". Oh well. Fortunately, most of my gear was squared away, though I learned a couple things. The inside of my helmet fogged up, nothing I could do would keep it dry. Gonna have to find something to fix that because I can deal with being a little cold and a little wet (should have put the liner back into my jacket... lesson learned), but having poop for visibility is not a lot of fun. Gonna run by Cycle Gear tomorrow and see what kind of anti-fog stuff they have.

Back