Off Topic Buying another car, non Mazda (2023 KIA Stinger)

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
16 Lexus RX350
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Hi folks.
Not sure if this is the right place, but I have been contemplating buying something new for a while.
Don't get me wrong, my 2017 Mazda 6 GT has been a great car, and I have nothing to really complain about.
I was just at the point I wanted something newer and faster.
In a word, I went shopping for KIA Stinger. I loved that car from the day it was introduced in 2018.
I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new 2023, as this is the last year of production.
There will be no more Stingers after this year.
They are already hard to get, and I had to wait a month for one to come in.
I started shopping back in June, and put a deposit down with a local dealer, and then just waited.
I got the call today that the car has arrived. I take delivery on Friday.
I offered up the Mazda as a trade, but the price they offered was not to my liking.
Just for fun, I also visited my local Mazda dealer, as they advertise they will buy cars for cash.
That was even more insulting. They offered to buy my car for $16,000. The KIA dealer offered $19,000.
As a comparison, the same Mazda dealer has a 2016 Mazda 6 GS (2 levels down from mine), with twice the miles on it (79,000 kms) compared to mine (39,000 kms), and it's listed at $19,000. No wonder they call them stealerships.
I will keep the Mazda for now.

Update:
Picked up my brand new 2023 Kia Stinger yesterday afternoon.
Drove it straight home, which is only about 10Kms., so I didn't really give it a work out yet.
I can tell that this is one mean vehicle. Like I said, I didn't push it, but I can feel the ponies under the hood just dying to get out and run.
Kia built a winner, and it's unfortunate it didn't sell better. This is the last year for the Stinger.
There is also a ton of tech in this thing. Too much to figure out without going through the manual.
This weekend I'm reading it cover to cover, and probably sitting in the driveway setting it up to my liking. Should be fun.
I haven't made any final decisions on the Mazda yet. It's in the driveway as well for now.
I've enjoyed it, and it will be hard to let it go at some point, but I don't need two similar cars in the future. Time will tell.

Congrats on the Stinger. I ogled those for a while along with the "usual sedan suspects" prior to deciding on a CUV. Hyundai/KIA seems to be gunning to be the top dog in the automotive world by volume. They kind of remind me of an earlier Honda or Toyota. They certainly seem to stand behind their product- even when there are big issues like on the Theta engine IIRC.

Ya, the Stinger was kind of a one off halo car for Kia. They were sending a message that said we can build more than just cheap subcompacts and CUV's. This is a BMW 3 series killer.
After playing with it this weekend and driving it around the neighbourhood a bit, it's really growing on me.
It is comfortable, quiet, refined and loaded with all the latest tech.
The twin turbo V6 doesn't hurt either. 368 HP. I haven't wrung it out yet.
I'll wait until it's broken in to really test it, but it is definitely eager to run.
It's like it's talking to me saying, come on dude, let's go....lol.
I've only had it two days, but I've already had two 20 something guys in a Honda Civic pull up next to me at a red light and look over at me, implying that maybe they want to try and run me.
I thought about it, but didn't take the bait. As soon as the light turned green, they took off.
Whatever. Don't care. Have fun.
I'll continue to post here periodically, especially when I make a decision on the Mazda (if you guys are interested). Right now my mindset is to keep it for at least this winter, and put the Stinger in the garage.

Well, I've been carefully going on line to see what I might be able to get for the Mazda.
I did the BBK thing where it gives you retail, wholesale and private sale values. It was anywhere from $24k to $30k. Cash offer was $23,000 and change.
As mentioned above, my local Mazda dealership offered to buy it from me for $16k and the Kia dealer offered $19K on trade. Nope. Wasn't happening.
Everyone I talk to is telling me to keep it. I will probably do that. Put the Stinger away for the winter.

Well, I've been carefully going on line to see what I might be able to get for the Mazda.
I did the BBK thing where it gives you retail, wholesale and private sale values. It was anywhere from $24k to $30k. Cash offer was $23,000 and change.
As mentioned above, my local Mazda dealership offered to buy it from me for $16k and the Kia dealer offered $19K on trade. Nope. Wasn't happening.
Everyone I talk to is telling me to keep it. I will probably do that. Put the Stinger away for the winter.
whats bbk thing?

that's one helluva car you got there. good idea about holding onto the mazda for now if (since) you're able to, especially with trade-in values down from where they were a year ago. you may be able to find a private party buyer who'll pay more if you wait, too. got any pics for us?? :whistle:

whats bbk thing?

Big Brake Kit. Just kidding, I know he meant kbb lol

@Buzzman12 yeah I'd keep the Mazda6 as a secondary for winter. Offload it in the spring, hopefully you'll be able to get more money for it. Congrats on the Stinger! I'd love to see pics of it, if you have any. Any plans to modify it in any way?

Ya OK, you got me there. :) Kelly Blue Book is what I was trying to say.

Congrats on the Stinger! I'd love to see pics of it, if you have any. Any plans to modify it in any way?
I'm initially doing a few modest cosmetic mods.
It's in the shop right now getting the windows tinted.
I've ordered a trunk lid spoiler (small duckbill type), as well as OEM mud guards, and I just received my custom colour matched body side mouldings that I ordered two weeks ago.
I'm anal when it comes to Wal Mart type parking lots, and parking next to SUV's filled with small kids. Can you say door dings?
I'll be putting them on this weekend probably.
Also got some 3Dmaxpider floor mats. I have them in the Mazda, and love them.
The next thing on my list is Xpel clear wrap for the front bumper and part of the hood.
I also have that on the Mazda, and works wonders for preventing stone chips.
As for performance mods, maybe next year. For now I'm just getting through the break in period and enjoying the ride.
At 368 HP, it's pretty darn peppy as is. :giggle:
I'll take a few pics when the toys are installed and post them, if I can remember how to do it.

I'm initially doing a few modest cosmetic mods.
It's in the shop right now getting the windows tinted.
I've ordered a trunk lid spoiler (small duckbill type), as well as OEM mud guards, and I just received my custom colour matched body side mouldings that I ordered two weeks ago.
I'm anal when it comes to Wal Mart type parking lots, and parking next to SUV's filled with small kids. Can you say door dings?
I'll be putting them on this weekend probably.
Also got some 3Dmaxpider floor mats. I have them in the Mazda, and love them.
The next thing on my list is Xpel clear wrap for the front bumper and part of the hood.
I also have that on the Mazda, and works wonders for preventing stone chips.
As for performance mods, maybe next year. For now I'm just getting through the break in period and enjoying the ride.
At 368 HP, it's pretty darn peppy as is. :giggle:
I'll take a few pics when the toys are installed and post them, if I can remember how to do it.

Sounds great! If I may make a suggestion.. do the whole hood instead of just part of it. I personally don't like seeing the line where the PPF ends halfway up my hood, and I'd do the whole hood instead if I had to do it again.

I went on the BurgerTuning site to see what a JB4 would do for the Stinger. +100 hp/tq is really tempting lol

+100hp/tq is definitely very tempting indeed but it might lower the reliability of the drivetrain + warranty might be jeopardized for a brand new car. I would get some bolt on first

+100hp/tq is definitely very tempting indeed but it might lower the reliability of the drivetrain + warranty might be jeopardized for a brand new car. I would get some bolt on first

Easy enough to remove the JB4 for warranty purposes; it leaves no trace. Burger does state on their site that the 3.3 stock motors are prone to spark plug misfires, and they sell a spark plug upgrade that is highly recommended whether you modify or not.

I signed up on a Stinger forum and I am surprised how many Stinger owners on there modify their cars. The JB4 seems to be the go to mod for the 3.3 engine.
Something to consider down the line I guess.
I'm not a racer and I don't intend to track the car, so I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.
Possibly some other mods like sway bars and stuff I might look into.
One thing that is a sore point with these (and Genesis G70's as well) is the OEM brake pad material.
Apparently it leaves deposits on the rotors and you end up with pulsing brakes. It's a known problem and Kia /Hyundai won't do anything about it.
The forum highly recommended I replace the stock pads, the front ones especially, ASAP. It's on my to do list.

I signed up on a Stinger forum and I am surprised how many Stinger owners on there modify their cars. The JB4 seems to be the go to mod for the 3.3 engine.
Something to consider down the line I guess.
I'm not a racer and I don't intend to track the car, so I'm not sure it's worth it at this point.
Possibly some other mods like sway bars and stuff I might look into.
One thing that is a sore point with these (and Genesis G70's as well) is the OEM brake pad material.
Apparently it leaves deposits on the rotors and you end up with pulsing brakes. It's a known problem and Kia /Hyundai won't do anything about it.
The forum highly recommended I replace the stock pads, the front ones especially, ASAP. It's on my to do list.

Yeah JB4 is probably a down-the-line kind of mod, if you even want it. 0-60 in 4.7s isn't slow by any means!

Sounds great! If I may make a suggestion.. do the whole hood instead of just part of it. I personally don't like seeing the line where the PPF ends halfway up my hood, and I'd do the whole hood instead if I had to do it again.
Met with a rep from a shop that does PPF, and he seemed very knowledgeable and honest.
My Stinger is white, and he said if you do a partial hood covering, the demarcation line will be very visible, and the shades of white will be slightly off. It's not a problem with darker colours apparently.
He suggested the same thing as you. Do the whole hood.
That's the plan now. Just need to set up an appointment.
Thx.

Yeah JB4 is probably a down-the-line kind of mod, if you even want it. 0-60 in 4.7s isn't slow by any means!
Yup.
I only have a few 100 Kms on it so far, so I haven't pushed it.
However, yesterday I was on a straight stretch of road in my neighbourhood, with no-one around.
I didn't floor it, but I gave it a good shot for the first time. Holy crap this thing can go. The smile factor went through the roof. :p

Well, had it done late last week, and went with the front bumper and full hood, as you suggested, as well as partial front fenders. Can't even see it. They did a fantastic job. I'm going back there tomorrow with the Mazda to see about getting it buffed and polished. The Mazda still looks good, but I'd like to get the swirls (faint, but I can see them), and minor scratches buffed out before the winter sets in.

Back