What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hey, I'm new here also, live about 2 hours east of Dallas. Thought I would chime in now that I'm an owner. Bought the car mostly for my wife after looking at the CRV and the RAV4. Much more impressed with the CX-5..

Anyway, was going to go with either the Touring with Moonroof Package, or GT without any package. Wife was wanting Titanium or Deep Crystal Blue. After calling around and getting several quotes, I ended up going local with a newer smaller dealer, he is now the only Mazda guy in town, next closest is an hours drive, and I did want to give him a chance, as if I did buy, he would get the service work.

After further review, I ended up going Grand Touring with the Technology package, Crystal Blue, which he had in stock. Also had installed the rear bumper guard, door sill trim plates and wheel locks. They had a Titanium with out these extras, but my wife ended up wanting them and the blue.

MSRP was $30,885 before his dealer installed stuff, windows, paint and pinstripes (I know).

His "sticker price" was $31,880.

I was trading a 1999 4Runner with 133,500 miles, had some dings, was in an re-portable accident about 7 years ago, he gave the KKB price basically, $2,800, I was fine with that.

He offered a price before TTL and fees of $28,854, and I qualified for no Mazda discounts, which was better than a couple quotes I got over the phone, above another, but I did not trust that one, never did go visit them.

Sounds pretty much what you are looking for scorpion632.

Tax here is 6.25%, and additional fees totaled $226.

I was OTD for $27,909, which doesn't sound outrageous I guess.

Also went with Mazda financing for 63 months at 1.9%, but put some cash down and financed $20,000. Could have paid cash, but want to hold some in reserve.

I might have done better at another dealer, but the closest that had any I wanted were 90 to 100 miles away.

Been stalking this forum for a few months now, first time poster. Just picked up our new CX-5 and wanted to share our results:

2016 CX-5 GT AWD in Meteor Gray w/ Tech package

Short story:
MSRP: $31,855
Invoice: $30,850
True Car estimate: $30,362
Selling price: $29,510
Doc fee: $168.43
Electronic filing fee: $25
Trade in allowance: $4,200 (2007 Mazda 3 HB - offered $4,000 and negotiated to $4,200)
TTL: $1,888
Loyalty rebate: ($500)
Financing rebate: ($250) (this was a bit odd - took the 1.9%/60 mo special financing incentive, but they also gave me half of the standard financing incentive of $500; guess my credit score was good enough!)

Long story:
Ran multiple negotiations over email per realcartips.com. No dealer would touch the original quote by the dealer saying they must be playing games and not including fees that were going to be due. Upon arrival and getting the Bill of Sale, stealership added the destination fee when their quote clearly identified it was included. They said "you're right" and revised the document removing the fee. Then they included a $100 prep fee, which wasn't on the original one. I questioned the new fee and they explained it was getting the vehicle ready for delivery. I read online reviews that other buyers had similar experiences, so I just said "OK" and signed, at which point I am starting to regret even giving this place my business. We get a soft sell on the extras (undercoating, paint protection, remote start, etc) all of which we decline. We then get into financing and start to sign paperwork. Reviewed the installment contract and I didn't catch the price changed originally. He then said corporate just emailed him and notified him that I was approved for 1.9%/60 AND half of the standard rebate. Upon reprinting the contract to resign, I caught the cash price was wrong based on the Bill of Sale that I signed ($750 higher). I question it and say that's not what I originally agreed to. He says "OK, I'll change it. I'll take your word for it" (totally weird, right? To me, this meant they knew EXACTLY what they were doing and it wasn't a simple mistake). I show him the original quote and he pulls the Bill of Sale from the file. It was completely different than the one I signed! I asked "where is the one I signed?". Deer in headlights. He takes everything including the original quote email to his manager. Comes back and says "You're right. Let's get it re-printed". Triple check the contract and everything finally looks correct. Sign and finally take delivery. I couldn't get out of that place fast enough.

Conclusion:
While I love the CX-5 and felt like I got a good deal, I can't believe this place tried to pull two over on me. Totally shady. Kind of regret not giving my local dealership, which seemed much more upfront and honest, my business. Plan on reviewing my experience on social media to help someone who may not be looking as closely as I was from getting taken.

Last edited:
While I love the CX-5 and felt like I got a good deal, I can't believe this place tried to pull two over on me. Totally shady. Kind of regret not giving my local dealership, which seemed much more upfront and honest, my business. Plan on reviewing my experience on social media to help someone who may not be looking as closely as I was from getting taken.

Stuwad21, do you mind saying what dealership this was (or just the city it's located in)? I'm also in the Chicago area, bought a 2016 GT AWD in sonic silver this Saturday and had went through a very similar experience negotiating with dealers by email. I wonder if you ended up at the dealership that also offered us the lowest price! I saw some shady reviews online and we managed to find just one dealership who'd match the sale price of $26,955 (includes the $500 financial cash and $500 chase rebates) so we went there instead. I'm sorry the experience was such a hassle for you!

Hello all,

I finally decided on buying the CX-5, I made a deposit last weekend for a silver 2016 CX5 Touring AWD with the moonroof package. I checked with several dealers around the area and this the best i could get.
MSRP was $28500
Sale price with no rebates - $26900
Final price- 26900 + doc fee of 166.90 + tax,title and registartion.
I am not financing the car from mazda/chase, but i am a chase customer so i think i qualify for 500 discount for being a chase customer. I hope i got a descent deal. I also wanted to know if the extended warranty is worth it?

Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. I'm looking at the CX-5 GT with the tech package for around 28,000-28,500. I don't currently qualify for any of the promotions they have going on, so I won't get any help there.

I went today and got the following offer:

Car: $29,502
Doc Fee: $599
Registration Fee: $190 to transfer my plate (not sure if this is something that can be negotiated)
Other Fee: $5.50
Waste Tire Management Fee: $5.00

Don't know what those last two are, but they're minor compared to the other stuff.

I said I would do the deal today at $28,500, but they declined. I've got some time on this, so I'm contacting other dealers and waiting to see if they have any better promotions (4th of July, August sales, etc).

What do you guys think? Is my price (28-28.5) realistic? I've seen a few people on here who have gotten in that range. I also have another dealer TrueCar quote for about $200 less, so I know I can get it a bit cheaper than the current offer without having to negotiate further.

I think that's doable.. I was able to get a GT + Tech + White for $28,300 fairly easy

An update: I just got my CX-5 today, with the tech package and some cargo mats. Found another dealer who offered an out-the-door price that was $1000 less than the original dealer ($31,288 -- includes car, docs, registration, etc). The original one called me and I told them the price. They rushed to try and beat it, then said they would be losing $1,000 if they did that price. I don't really believe that, since that means they would have been selling me the original one for no profit at all.

I ended up getting the car in white, which was an added bonus, since the original one I was looking at was in gray. So it's almost like getting an extra $300 off. Also, this is awesome because I live in Florida where it is very hot all year, so a white car will help.

The original dealer said that the new one was playing games. I had two minor issues which were fixed. The first was that they presented me with a sheet that was $200 more than the original offer. I pointed it out and they got it fixed quickly. I also told them I had financing, but let them take a look at the Chase financing. Their interest rate was higher than mine, but they matched my offer when I pointed that out (they claimed it was lost that I had financing). Maybe there was some shady stuff going on there, and I would have paid an extra $1500 over the life of the loan if I hadn't pointed it out. But I had no problem with this, since they didn't argue any of it. They may or may not have been playing games like the original dealer said. But I don't think the original one was being honest about their prices at all. They only took off $100 during the negotiations, then took a hard stance that they'd be losing money if they took off any more. They also told me that they'd leave my offer open, figuring I'd be back. So maybe they just didn't believe I had a better offer, despite sending it to them.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread, and in private messages. Through this I was able to find out the sad reality that cars and doc fees tend to run higher where I live, but I was still able to push forward and get a deal done at a price I liked.

An update: I just got my CX-5 today, with the tech package and some cargo mats. Found another dealer who offered an out-the-door price that was $1000 less than the original dealer ($31,288 -- includes car, docs, registration, etc). The original one called me and I told them the price. They rushed to try and beat it, then said they would be losing $1,000 if they did that price. I don't really believe that, since that means they would have been selling me the original one for no profit at all.

I ended up getting the car in white, which was an added bonus, since the original one I was looking at was in gray. So it's almost like getting an extra $300 off. Also, this is awesome because I live in Florida where it is very hot all year, so a white car will help.

The original dealer said that the new one was playing games. I had two minor issues which were fixed. The first was that they presented me with a sheet that was $200 more than the original offer. I pointed it out and they got it fixed quickly. I also told them I had financing, but let them take a look at the Chase financing. Their interest rate was higher than mine, but they matched my offer when I pointed that out (they claimed it was lost that I had financing). Maybe there was some shady stuff going on there, and I would have paid an extra $1500 over the life of the loan if I hadn't pointed it out. But I had no problem with this, since they didn't argue any of it. They may or may not have been playing games like the original dealer said. But I don't think the original one was being honest about their prices at all. They only took off $100 during the negotiations, then took a hard stance that they'd be losing money if they took off any more. They also told me that they'd leave my offer open, figuring I'd be back. So maybe they just didn't believe I had a better offer, despite sending it to them.

Thanks to everyone who helped in this thread, and in private messages. Through this I was able to find out the sad reality that cars and doc fees tend to run higher where I live, but I was still able to push forward and get a deal done at a price I liked.

Was the $31,228 what you paid, or was thar the original offer from the other dealer?

I paid OTD $30,709 if I add my trade value back in. The trade also reduced my tax by about $175.

Was the $31,228 what you paid, or was thar the original offer from the other dealer?

I paid OTD $30,709 if I add my trade value back in. The trade also reduced my tax by about $175.

The $31,288 was what I paid, including taxes, doc fees, and registration.

Apparently doc fees are high in Florida. I talked with a few people on here from Texas who paid less than $200 in that department. Every dealer around here was charging $599 or more, and that was less than the state average, according to Edmunds.

I didn't have a trade in.

Howdy You,

That's wonderful news, Congratulations !!! I'd say you really did well !!!

You'll have to post some pics and give us an Update
on how you like it.

Take Care,

Craig

The $31,288 was what I paid, including taxes, doc fees, and registration.

Apparently doc fees are high in Florida. I talked with a few people on here from Texas who paid less than $200 in that department. Every dealer around here was charging $599 or more, and that was less than the state average, according to Edmunds.

I didn't have a trade in.

The dealer was saying he was losing about $1,000 at that price because it is about what that much lower than the invoice is. But I'm not sure what incentives Mazda has going on for their dealers, but just as a coincidence, the price my dealer offered was also almost exactly $1,000 under invoice on my car as configured. My guess is there is about $1,000 coming back to the dealer from invoice, and their true cost is about that much lower. So in my instance, my dealer's "sticker price" of $31,880, which includes the pin stripping, paint protection, etc. for $995, (otherwise known as "profit"), was about $3,026 more than the true cost to the dealer, $995 dealer installed items, MSRP less invoice of $1,026, and $1,005 difference between invoice and what he sold it for......

And your fees do seem high, my all in fees after the price was negotiated was $226 (excluding Taxes), this was for Title, plates, and I think a $50 miscellaneous "doc fee", and maybe some other small charges.

We bought our CX-5 a couple of days ago. We are located in Montgomery County, MD.

CX-5, AWD, Grand Touring + Tech. Package, Soul Red (MSRP: $32,155)

+ Final selling price = $29,607.83 ($2,547.17 off MSRP)
+ Tax = $1,776.47
+ Tags & Processing = $615.70

TOTAL OTD PRICE = $32,000 even.

No trade in, and I did not qualify for any incentives. I used the OTD price as my negotiating number. My original goal was $32,500 OTD, so I offered $31,500. I was able to beat my original goal by pitting 2 dealers against each other at the eleventh hour before the end of the month. The other dealership actually offered me $100 more off, but I did not like the way they handled business (they were not straightforward with me on the phone, refused to e-mail me the quote, and then went radio silent). I did not mind paying the extra $100 to the other dealership who were nothing but accommodating and a pleasure to deal with, and actually sent me the price quote in an e-mail. Spoke to the sales manager at noon to agree on price over the phone. They had to go and find the Soul Red vehicle with the options I wanted. My red CX-5 was on the lot by 3:00pm. They called, and my wife and I went that night after dinner. The purchasing process was completely painless and quick (2 hours total). A ringing endorsement for Gaithersburg Mazda.

I feel like I could have done a little bit better, or gotten a few accessories thrown in if I had endured the night and waited until the next day to close the deal, but frankly I was happy with the deal as is and went for it. I wanted to pay cash for the car, but the salesman told me that in order to honor the price I would have to sign up for $8,000 minimum through Mazda financing. No big deal, pay 3 months of payments @ 2.99%, then pay off the remainder of the balance in full. All in all, I lose $30ish in interest. I can live with that.

Very happy with the car so far. A couple of minor cosmetic issues on the interior, but very, very minor. And those wheels...MY GAWD.

Anyways, just thought I'd offer up my experience to this extremely useful thread. I definitely think that the end-of-month negotiating had a lot to do with getting the deal that I wanted. Both dealers were upfront with me that they needed this deal to meet their quotas.

Good luck to all prospective buyers!

Last edited:
I picked up my 2016 Red Soul CX-5 GT w/ Tech Package AWD from Tuttle-Click Mazda 2 weeks ago (sorry for not joining the forum sooner :/). Anywho, I got the price down to $29.2k before taxes and fees. I also decided to get the 3 year service plan for another $200. Yes, the final price does include a $500 rebate for being a chase customer (I opened my account one day before purchasing) and another $500 for financing through Chase (I plan to refinance soon at a lower APR).

Hope this helps the group. I love my CX-5. Price was definitely more than I ever wanted to spend on a crossover but after I test drove it, there was no going back :)

Good price in NYC?

Currently shopping for a 2016 CX-5 GT FWD, no tech pkg.
It has to be special ordered since there are no Crystal Blue FWD versions of the vehicle in this region.
I'm getting quotes between $28,000 - $28,300 without taxes and fees.
Is this a good range?

It has to be special ordered since there are no Crystal Blue FWD versions of the vehicle in this region.
Is this a good range?

I would say so. Invoice on that configuration should be $29,511. Those price quotes might include assumed rebates, I would make sure.

in NY/NJ area, i would expect at least $1000 off MSRP and if you can get $2000 off i think you got a good price.

I would say so. Invoice on that configuration should be $29,511. Those price quotes might include assumed rebates, I would make sure.

I would be eligible for any other rebates/incentives that are available at time of delivery, which would be in about 3 months max.
Edmunds has the MSRP at $29,100 for this config.

Last edited:
Howdy You,

That's wonderful news, Congratulations !!! I'd say you really did well !!!

You'll have to post some pics and give us an Update
on how you like it.

Take Care,

Craig

So far it has been great. I'm 6' 4", so the space in the car is good. I drive with the seat all the way back, but that still allows room for someone to sit comfortably behind me, which I found out last night. I'm still getting used to all of the controls and features, especially the features with the key and locking the door. I got out of the car last night to pick up some food, but left it running for my girlfriend, who was inside. I had the key with me, and the car started beeping at me as I walked away. I wasn't sure if it would continue running, so I just walked back and gave her the key.

Here are two pictures I took after getting it:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Is this a good range?

It sounds ok-ish. For about $1000 more, I was able to get the same vehicle in AWD and with the tech package. This is before my trade-in and rebates.

It sounds ok-ish. For about $1000 more, I was able to get the same vehicle in AWD and with the tech package. This is before my trade-in and rebates.

Any tips/suggestions on how to get a better price?
I've been doing all my negotiations via email.
I feel like I don't have much wiggle room since this car needs to be special ordered.
They're quick to get rid of the AWD versions and are trying to push me to get one, but I just don't need it.

Any tips/suggestions on how to get a better price?
I've been doing all my negotiations via email.
I feel like I don't have much wiggle room since this car needs to be special ordered.
They're quick to get rid of the AWD versions and are trying to push me to get one, but I just don't need it.

That's tough. Just searching in Md, I was only able to find one with what you're looking for. It looks like the FWD drivetrain is severely limiting your options at the Gt level. Perhaps it's a decent price given the lack of options.

When I was negotiating, I never got the lowest price via email. I took the lowest email price, and walked in to that dealer to get OTD, knowing what others had paid here, and negotiated there. When I thought the deal was just ok, I let it be known. I then told the dealer that I wanted to double check with another dealer. At that point, they dropped the price another $1500 to make the sale today.

It's hard to negotiate when there aren't other options though. I imagine even harder when you special order.

Last edited:
Back