Watch the live stream from the 2018 NY Auto Show - Mazda

For those that are concerned about whether the Apple Car Play update will be available for their model year or country should reread the post.

Basically, if you have "Mazda Connect", you are eligible for the update.
That's how I read it, and how some other news sites have read it.
I think you can verify it here, http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/
Vehicle listed? Then it has "Mazda Connect" I'm guessing.

I can't imagine the CPU/memory of the infotainment system changed at all through the current generation CX-5. I can't imagine it being too much different from any model that's come out in the last 7yrs, because the software features hasn't changed much either. If it is too old, then the upgrade would cost more than newer vehicles.

It will be nice to say, "Hey Siri" "Ok Google" "Alexa" with better voice recognition, better map navigation, and perhaps the ability to voice respond to text messages. I'm guessing the cost will be about 2x the price of the most expensive Echo. $160x2= $320 Even though it's just a software update, it's also the cost of licensing Siri/Google/Alexa in one package. I definitely think it's worth it. We already thought about adding a wifi hotspot to the truck and putting the extra Amazon Dot we got in the truck. $320 is much more expensive, but has more capabilities.

For those that are concerned about whether the Apple Car Play update will be available for their model year or country should reread the post.

Basically, if you have "Mazda Connect", you are eligible for the update.
That's how I read it, and how some other news sites have read it.
I think you can verify it here, http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/
Vehicle listed? Then it has "Mazda Connect" I'm guessing.

I can't imagine the CPU/memory of the infotainment system changed at all through the current generation CX-5. I can't imagine it being too much different from any model that's come out in the last 7yrs, because the software features hasn't changed much either. If it is too old, then the upgrade would cost more than newer vehicles.

It will be nice to say, "Hey Siri" "Ok Google" "Alexa" with better voice recognition, better map navigation, and perhaps the ability to voice respond to text messages. I'm guessing the cost will be about 2x the price of the most expensive Echo. $160x2= $320 Even though it's just a software update, it's also the cost of licensing Siri/Google/Alexa in one package. I definitely think it's worth it. We already thought about adding a wifi hotspot to the truck and putting the extra Amazon Dot we got in the truck. $320 is much more expensive, but has more capabilities.

CarPlay needs an Apple authentication chip to work. That may be all that's involved in the "retrofit". It might be tied into the card reader module or something relatively easy to replace. Actually come to think of it, probably the USB module.

Last edited:
I saw the pics of the new Rav4 and I think Toyota will have great success from that model.

Did anyone else notice that Mazda like style of the interior dash with the nav screen on top? Looking at other new model crossovers the horizontal look is catching on.

2019 Subaru Forester is a step back imo. Dated design, the swoop at the rear just doesn’t match with the rest of the car. For the Subie diehards, the death of the manual transmission is going to be tough to swallow.

Rav4 stole the show ⋯
Definitely with new 203 hp Dynamic Force 2.5L VVT-iE I4 mated to a new 8-speed Direct-Shift automatic transmission、industry-first Rear Driveline Disconnect system which actually stops rear driveshafts rotations、TNGA K midsize platform、Wi-Fi Connect and Apple CarPlay.

I saw the pics of the new Rav4 and I think Toyota will have great success from that model.

Did anyone else notice that Mazda like style of the interior dash with the nav screen on top? Looking at other new model crossovers the horizontal look is catching on.

2019 Subaru Forester is a step back imo. Dated design, the swoop at the rear just doesn’t match with the rest of the car. For the Subie diehards, the death of the manual transmission is going to be tough to swallow.

The Rav4 may sell well but it's looks both interior and exterior are nothing to write home about. The CX-5 is still a rung above it.

Seems like the Rav4's exterior was the result of a Toyota Highlander and Toyota FJ Cruiser mating. Meh.(notcool)

Definitely with new 203 hp Dynamic Force 2.5L VVT-iE I4 mated to a new 8-speed Direct-Shift automatic transmission、industry-first Rear Driveline Disconnect system which actually stops rear driveshaft’s rotations、TNGA K midsize platform、Wi-Fi Connect and Apple CarPlay.

Been waiting for that new Rav4 to come out. Looks legit. Should give the current Honda CRV a run for its money. I like that its reaching 200+HP which forces others in the class to do the same.

The Skyactiv 2 NA engine should easily reach 200 hp no problem.

Skyactiv 2 and Dynamic force engines staying under the 2.5L route. Honda went the 1.5l turbo route.

I like that its reaching 200+HP which forces others in the class to do the same.
This is what I like about the new Rav4 as well. It forces everyone else to step up their game with their engines. Most likely still wouldn't consider one (the Rav4) for myself.

Been waiting for that new Rav4 to come out. Looks legit. Should give the current Honda CRV a run for its money. I like that its reaching 200+HP which forces others in the class to do the same.

The Skyactiv 2 NA engine should easily reach 200 hp no problem.

Skyactiv 2 and Dynamic force engines staying under the 2.5L route. Honda went the 1.5l turbo route.

IIRC, Mazda was quoted something like 20-30% gains in both power an efficiency on the 'X' motors. Assuming they eventually make 2.5L 'X' for the next gen CX5 - 188HP x 1.2 = 225HP. That's on the low end I'd assume.

Yes please.

IIRC, Mazda was quoted something like 20-30% gains in both power an efficiency on the 'X' motors. Assuming they eventually make 2.5L 'X' for the next gen CX5 - 188HP x 1.2 = 225HP. That's on the low end I'd assume.

Yes please.

That thing will be ready for the Nurburgring! [emoji23]

Yes please.

Could be even more depending on the market

Yes please.

"Mazda was quoted..."

Hell, they haven't even brought us a diesel yet. I dont care what they say at this point, until I see product.

"Mazda was quoted..."

Hell, they haven't even brought us a diesel yet. I dont care what they say at this point, until I see product.

Mazda North America hasn't brought the diesel.

Rest of the world Mazda pretty much deliver their products on a timely basis.

The problem is Mazda North America.

Yes please.

I would not bet on the 2.5 Sky-X engine. I have a feeling you will see the 2.0 Sky-X, which’s has similar HP and torque numbers as the current 2.5 engine first.

I would not bet on the 2.5 Sky-X engine. I have a feeling you will see the 2.0 Sky-X, which’s has similar HP and torque numbers as the current 2.5 engine first.

They haven't ruled it out either

Back