Warming car up without key in

and by the time I am getting home is when the car is finally warm on the inside. While yes, the blue coolant light goes off within 10 min or so of driving, the interior of the car is not warm and it takes a bit longer for the heat to start pumping to the temperature I like. I have the heated seats, and for me they are what I consider barely hot on the highest setting.

So true!!

I'm shocked and disappointed at how coddled and wimpy Americans have become in the last twenty or thirty years! The zombie apocalypse is real, it's here and the zombies are amongst us! We no longer sustain our warmth from within but need to cuddle up to a fossil fuel life support system.

If the people who founded the US of A were no more resilient than this, America would have been a doomed nation from day 1!

Have to agree with you on this one. Awhile back I pulled the choke knob and hoped for a start. Then auto choke, and hoped for a start. Now they start. Hell with heat, I'm ready to roll.

Have to agree with you on this one. Awhile back I pulled the choke knob and hoped for a start. Then auto choke, and hoped for a start. Now they start. Hell with heat, I'm ready to roll.

Remember when you had to crank down the windows by hand!

Remember when you had to crank down the windows by hand!

Yes, I do. Biggest benefit of electric windows is you can control them all from the driver's seat.

I had a car with a 4 liter straight 6 with a manual crank starter. Fortunately it also had electric start. But if you had a dead battery, it was very convenient! Crank handle was held in the cargo area with clips.

Check this out: forgot the link. Mercy is testing tech whereby when you but the car they program with you in mind. It will detect you coming near the car and start it. The connector is a RFID or something which could be it seems even in your engagement ring.

Check this out: forgot the link. Mercy is testing tech whereby when you but the car they program with you in mind. It will detect you coming near the car and start it. The connector is a RFID or something which could be it seems even in your engagement ring.

So if you broke off the engagement, and gave the ring back, only your ex's new spouse could drive your car? (hand)

Yes, I do. Biggest benefit of electric windows is you can control them all from the driver's seat.

I had a car with a 4 liter straight 6 with a manual crank starter. Fortunately it also had electric start. But if you had a dead battery, it was very convenient! Crank handle was held in the cargo area with clips.

Years ago Road and Track had a tongue in cheek "Do you drive a real sports car" rating. You got points for different features.

From memory
Electric windows 0
Crank windows 1
Windows that go on with turn fasteners 5
No windows 10

4 doors 0
2 doors 1
no doors 2

Automatic 0
Manual 5
unsynchronized Manual 10

and so on for seats, power steering, ETC.
There was also a - 1000 points for a minivan and -2000 points for a V8 Jeep

We have the mazda remote start on our 2014. Not the smart phone type. Comes with a FOB and simply plugs into the existing wiring of the car. A backyard mechanic should be able to install it. Anyways, it starts the engine, locks the doors, and also shuts down when the door is opened. The coverage is ok, line of site for sure it works, but doesn't start if you're 12 miles away. Don't use it all the time but it does come in handy when real cold.

We have the mazda remote start on our 2014. Not the smart phone type. Comes with a FOB and simply plugs into the existing wiring of the car. A backyard mechanic should be able to install it. Anyways, it starts the engine, locks the doors, and also shuts down when the door is opened. The coverage is ok, line of site for sure it works, but doesn't start if you're 12 miles away. Don't use it all the time but it does come in handy when real cold.

Depends. In US - you'll need to install the hood switch.

So if you broke off the engagement, and gave the ring back, only your ex's new spouse could drive your car? (hand)

I will take it to Chinatown, NY first and have it cloned and give the clone back... never was I questioned later on...

Yeah, I was looking at the mobile version of Compustar, too, one less key fob to carry in my pocket, but the annual fee for the SIM card put me off, and it doesn't work where you don't have cell/mobile signal.

Gotta say it is very rare you are ever in an area without cell service these days. If so, you have bigger problems. :)

I'm shocked and disappointed at how coddled and wimpy Americans have become in the last twenty or thirty years! The zombie apocalypse is real, it's here and the zombies are amongst us! We no longer sustain our warmth from within but need to cuddle up to a fossil fuel life support system.

If the people who founded the US of A were no more resilient than this, America would have been a doomed nation from day 1!

I am sure the same things were echoed when the car replaced the horse. And people laughed at those people then too. (zombies)

Gotta say it is very rare you are ever in an area without cell service these days. If so, you have bigger problems. :)

Although the car is mostly parked outdoor, my phone has to rely on T-Mobile Wifi-calling everyday as my office barely has any signal. It's pretty common around Mpls to have full bar outdoor and no bar inside these brick buildings, especially in the basement.

I spend 50% of my time with zero cell service from any carrier for many miles. My second home has zero cell service. What do you mean "have bigger problems"?

I am sure the same things were echoed when the car replaced the horse. And people laughed at those people then too.

Actually, I think people understood that a horse drawn carriage had no heat while a horseless carriage did (regardless of how weak it was). People made do with what they had.

Although the car is mostly parked outdoor, my phone has to rely on T-Mobile Wifi-calling everyday as my office barely has any signal. It's pretty common around Mpls to have full bar outdoor and no bar inside these brick buildings, especially in the basement.

Cell service is largely line of sight. Yes, there is some penetration but it's not great unless the signal is strong to begin with.

Here in the NW corner of the country we have rugged terrain with relatively low population density. So the carriers write off any terrain that would be too expensive to service.

Mine will continue to run after I get out with the fob. I have not tried to lock the doors. Try it at home.

Ok, so I work nights 7p-7a and I'd like to warm my car up during the winters so I don't freeze for half my drive home. Does the CX-5 have a safety feature if someone tries to get in and drive off without the key in the vehicle? I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm not used to these cars with push button starters. I just want to know my car is safe (except for being unlocked of course) while its warming up.
Tammy

If you, in your 2016 get in the car, start it up and walk away this is what will happen if someone enters the car and does NOT have a key fob:

Will he/she be able to enter the car? YES, since doors are unlocked.
Will he/she be able to drive the car? NO, as display will say "Key Not Detected" and pressing brakes do NOT work, gear does NOT move from PARK.
Have you tested this? YES, today again.
Is this same for pre-2016 models? NO idea.
Is this same for manual transmission vehicles CX5 - 2016? No idea.

Latest posts

Back