Warming car up without key in

Another +1 for Mazda Mobile Start that you can do from your cell phone.

Yeah, I was looking at the mobile version of Compustar, too, one less key fob to carry in my pocket, but the annual fee for the SIM card put me off, and it doesn't work where you don't have cell/mobile signal.

I'm looking to get some form of remote start installed as well. Not just for warming the car up for me, but I think it's better for the car to run at least 30 seconds before taking off. But like you OP, I generally work 7p-7a so I'm in same position as you. The MMS sounds nice but I've heard some bad things about the app. It has a terrible rating on the Google Play Store. Not to mention the monthly fee. The remote start your limited to distance but seems like a sure thing every time you hit it.

I just did the math. On an average 12 hour shift, I lift about 12,000lbs and walk 8-10 miles!

I'd like the answer to that too! I don't know of too many 12 hour shift jobs that are sedentary. Most of them are industrial based!

First thing that came to my mind as well, and I know the feeling...

If your employer will give you access to 120 VAC you have a couple of good options. A engine coolant heater, or a cabin heater. (A small low power space heater with thermostat control made for use in vehicles.) I have used a cabin heater and it is very nice to come out in the morning to a warm car with clear windows.

I have the Compustar RF-2W9000-SS on both my CX-5 and Accord, it works great. My wife can start the car in the basement of a brick building a block away, with 2-way confirmation. I usually have it remotely started for within 5 minutes (e.g. as the bus approaching the station) on cold days (below 10F). I'm not sure if that's good or bad for the car.

Because of security, as soon as I open the door, the engine will shut off, then I'll start the car again to drive. Is that bad for the engine to have it shut off then start again within a minute?

Not really. But most engine wear happens at cold startup.

I always viewed remote start as standard equipment on SUV type vehicles.

I'm shocked and disappointed at how coddled and wimpy Americans have become in the last twenty or thirty years! The zombie apocalypse is real, it's here and the zombies are amongst us! We no longer sustain our warmth from within but need to cuddle up to a fossil fuel life support system.

If the people who founded the US of A were no more resilient than this, America would have been a doomed nation from day 1!

Cheap solution - 12V 1000W electric heater, 180AH marine battery, and a timer.
Set it to go off for 30 minute period right before you get off work.
Recharge it using cigarette lighter on way home, or plug into charger at home.

I'm shocked and disappointed at how coddled and wimpy Americans have become in the last twenty or thirty years! The zombie apocalypse is real, it's here and the zombies are amongst us! We no longer sustain our warmth from within but need to cuddle up to a fossil fuel life support system.

If the people who founded the US of A were no more resilient than this, America would have been a doomed nation from day 1!

Hmm, so I guess you'll be voting for Vermin Supreme? Good for you, considering your wife likes horses and a free pony is part of his platform. I can't see you arguing with his mandatory tooth brushing laws either.

Hmm, so I guess you'll be voting for Vermin Supreme? Good for you, considering your wife likes horses and a free pony is part of his platform. I can't see you arguing with his mandatory tooth brushing laws either.

Trump wants to give away free ponies? I hadn't heard that!

Seriously, why do you want to turn this into a political discussion?

Trump wants to give away free ponies? I hadn't heard that!

Seriously, why do you want to turn this into a political discussion?

You need to get out a bit more Mike... he's running as a D... and just finished in 4th place in the NH primary! It was simply a joke... but I thought it might be a good opportunity to add to your stable.... and get a few more bonus points with your wife. (whistle)

c4d1db302c8a1092687f36a250c06941.jpg

I do not understand this. I have been doing it, continuously. My garage is detached. I go in, start my car by putting my foot on the brake, pressing the push start (do NOT even sit in the car), close the door and walk away. The car starts making a series of beeps but DOES NOT SHUT DOWN.

My wife entered the car while in this position (engine running) and tried to back out. The gear did NOT BUDGE FROM THE PARK POSITION. She did not have the key fob with her. Came back inside, took the key fob, went back inside the car and the gear moved to Rear.

I have NO idea if this is in 2016 but that's what happened. My friends told me, that's how it is even for his Grand Cherokee with remote start.

If you have remote start - key fob remote start/mazda mobile remote start : as soon as the door's opened the car shuts down. Now, if someone keeps the windows down and someone else (a snake?) enters thru the window, then again the car should stop as to move the gear from P, he/she/snake will have to press the brakes. That's when the car will stop if started using vanilla or strawberry flavored remote start.

I don't get it. Whether you have remote start or MMS, one would think that when you start the car remotely, why in the world is the door unlocking at that point? The car should just be starting and only that. I'm assuming this is the case because you guys are saying that when you open the door the engine shuts off. This makes no sense. You should just have to unlock the car doors once you get to the car, with it remaining locked up until this point.

I don't get it. Whether you have remote start or MMS, one would think that when you start the car remotely, why in the world is the door unlocking at that point? The car should just be starting and only that. I'm assuming this is the case because you guys are saying that when you open the door the engine shuts off. This makes no sense. You should just have to unlock the car doors once you get to the car, with it remaining locked up until this point.

There's been 100 threads here and there on this. Frankly, it is the way it is. Call it a Mazda quirk. Quite similar to the Jap cars where the window lock depressed, deactivates even driver's windows....

In the mornings, I have my keys in my pocket. I walk outside, start the car, and walk back inside, keys still in my pocket. Once I am ready to leave, I go back to the car and drive to work. Car remains on, but I think you're still able to drive it without the key present.

When you remote start, the car will lock the doors when the engine starts. You can unlock the doors and the engine still runs, but as soon as you open a door, the engine will shut off. Were you confused between "open" and "unlock"? Am I misunderstanding your question?

When you remote start, the car will lock the doors when the engine starts. You can unlock the doors and the engine still runs, but as soon as you open a door, the engine will shut off. Were you confused between "open" and "unlock"? Am I misunderstanding your question?

Okay makes sense. Just the idea that a door opening turns the car off is what confused me. It is what it is though.

Okay makes sense. Just the idea that a door opening turns the car off is what confused me. It is what it is though.

You, my friend is not the 1st. There's a thread here which goes up to 8 posts before OP understood. Unlock doesn't mean door opened. BTW: CX5 almost immediately locks it back, if you don't open the doors. As soon as you do open: boom:engine dies. Think for a moment: 1st. time this occurs how you'd feel/react? LOL.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't ask: does it apply to all doors or just the driver side?....:)

PLEASE, PLEASE don't ask: does it apply to all doors or just the driver side?....:)

All doors. I open the rear passenger door first most of the time to put my backpack in. My remote starter installer told me it's likely a security feature to prevent somebody from driving your car away.

Cheap solution - 12V 1000W electric heater, 180AH marine battery, and a timer.
Set it to go off for 30 minute period right before you get off work.
Recharge it using cigarette lighter on way home, or plug into charger at home.

Not a bad idea, with some changes. There are 12 volt 300 watt cabin heaters available, and battery operated timer switches Depending on the weather one or two hours should do it. The link you gave is for a diesel fuel heater. BTW A 1000 watt 12 volt heater would draw 83.3 AMPs. If you found a 1000 watt 12 VDC block heater I don't think the timer switch and wiring would be practical.

Back