Vibrating driver side mirror?

I would like to take my mirror apart. Roughly what are the steps? Has anyone had the TSB fix done and did it actually fix the problem? Our vibration is really annoying but not a safety issue. The dealer is on the other side of town from me so it is 2-3 hour time commitment to take it to the dealer and wait for them to fix it, or longer if I have to drop off the car and pick it up later.

Just got our CX-9 last month. Manf date 05/08. Just noticed the slight vib in the driver's side mirror on the way to work at hwy speeds. However, when I adjust the mirror and point it out (away from the body) it seems to be ok...

Same issue with my 08 CX-9 GT with BSMS

I noticed the same vibration of the driver's side mirror only (the passenger side is stable -- no vibration). I took it to the dealer for the recall maintenance and they claimed to tighten a bracket. After driving away from the dealer onto the highway, the problem remained (as bad as ever).

Is the foam solution something that Mazda has come up with to solve the problem or is it just something your dealer figured out?

I also have this problem on my 08' Touring CX9 c/t the driver side only. Only had the rig for about 2+ months now. When it goes in for its first service I plan to have them address.

Thanks for the info guys!

i just bought a 09 touring and i notice that my mirrors vibrate when the music is on.those bose in the doors really thumps!(mj)(wiggle)(dance)

Took my car in to have the mirrors looked at. Dealer said there was not a TSB but there was some other document that said to put foam tape under the mount where the mirror housing swivels.

This resulted in absolutely no improvement on the vibration issue. I called the dealer soon after leaving the parking lot to tell them there was no improvement. Service advisor talked to Mazda tech support and came back with "Some vibration is normal" Recommended I drive another car on the lot to see if they vibrate the same. I don't really care if they all do, it is unacceptable and clearly a design issue or else all cars would have this same issue.

I've never owned a car where the mirrors vibrated. I was driving home in our VW Jetta over some bumpy rodes and noticed no vibration at all. When I got home, I lightly tapped the Jetta mirrors and there was no noticeable movement. Same tap on the Mazda CX-9 mirrors caused the mirror to vibrate.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who notice the vibration issue, do you also see 60hz flicker in computer CRT monitors? This drives me nuts, I can't work at a monitor that flickers or even be in someone office where it is flickering. I always reset the refresh rate to something above 75hz.

I am logging all my phone calls and trips to the dealer on this one. I have a hunch that MAZDA will eventually have to fix this problem.

I have taken driver side apart. I even unscrewed motor unit and took it apart, add more grease to two actuators, but no help at all.
On the passenger side, even though the mirror is moving when we tap it but it is not shaking at freeway speed.
I will take a look closer to both side to see what's difference.

Last edited:
I used this tube.
I apply grease inside 2 actuators, the hole in mirror panel and motor module.
I am afraid that the vibrate is whole mirror, not just removable mirror part.

What kind of grease did you use?

Where exactly did you put it?

Attachments

• DSC06148_resize.JPG
    DSC06148_resize.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 443
I am going on tomorrow to get mine corrected. the dealer called the techline and on the invoice wrote notes indicating "...information on newsletter jan/feb 2009 - k001-wo-225 foam kit for mirror base."

Gotta love forums... I've lived with that vibration for nearly 3 years... :) Gonna get it fixed before the warranty clears out...

Both driver and passenger vibrate. Driver side is worse. What is interesting is that my 2004 Mazda 6S did the same thing. Both mirrors vibrated. 1st car I had owned that had that issue. Must be a Mazda thing.

Both driver and passenger vibrate. Driver side is worse. What is interesting is that my 2004 Mazda 6S did the same thing. Both mirrors vibrated. 1st car I had owned that had that issue. Must be a Mazda thing.

It must be because my 2006 Mazda5 also had vibrating mirror glass. Had them replced once under warranty but the new ones were just slightly better...Mazda thing I guess!

See further back in the thread.

Okay, so I put die-electric grease or any other thick grease I can find in the female sockets of the rear side of the glass. One last question, do you just pull on the glass mirror and pry it off the tiny arms in the actuator?

I just bought a 2010 CX9 Sport AWD last week and noticed the Driver Side Mirror Vibrating. The Passenger Side is just fine. Are there any suggestions I can tell the dealer so they will actually fix it, and not tell me "that's just how it is."
Anything I can print out and show them .
Oh, would you bring your CX-9 to the original dealer you bought it from, or a mazda dealer that's close to your house.

Thanks!

SportOwner fixed his vibrating mirror by pulling the glass part off the mirror housing assembly and packed the sockets behind it with grease. This way the ball sockets that snap into the glass assembly are nicely packed and cushioned by thick grease.

Go to your nearest Mazda dealer or the one that you develop the best relationship with, you don't need to go to the purchasing dealer.

Good luck!

While my car still has the bumper to bumper, I'll have the dealer fix it. But I will definitely keep the Grease method in mind. Thanks!

I had mine fixed. it is not perfect, I can see a slight vibration under certain circumstances, but it is 95% better than before. the invoice reads:

check for bulletins -none - called techline - states information on newsletter Jan/Feb 2009 - K001-WO-225 foam kit for mirror base...

the invoice I received when I picked it up notes: 'still has a little vibration when going over bumps'

take that in and I'm sure they'll take care of you.

Back