2022 CX-9 GT Hitch and Harness install (pics of driver's underside)

:
2022 CX-9 GT 2.5L Turbo
2018 CX-5 GT 2.5L N/A CD [RETIRED]
Finally got around to doing the hitch and wiring.

Main Parts:
Class 3 Trailer Hitch, 2" Receiver Curt #13284 ($357.29 taxes in)
Custom 4-Flat Curt #56338 ($76.84 taxes in)
Dual-Output Electrical Adapter Curt #57672 ($45.14 taxes in)
Easy-Mount Wiring Bracket Curt #58000 ($27.59 taxes in)

I'm not listing any of the other parts that are needed for this work (i.e. wires, in-line fuse, tape, connectors, loom, etc, which was another $100 taxes in)

That's a grand total of ~$610 CAD in parts needed; obviously not including costs for tools. A friend of mine had a hitch and 7-way installed on his minivan for ~$1200 CAD so I guess I saved about 50% in labor, but had to put in 6 of my own.

hitch.jpg

The installation of the 4-flat, dual-output adapter, as well as the hitch itself is pretty well documented (between etrailer and uhaul so no need to go into this). I drove the rear up on some ramps to give myself a little bit more room with the hitch install. The exhaust hangers are a bit of a pain without the removal tool, but I did manage to get them off with a small straight head, a pry bar and some soap water. The install of all parts (including running the pos(+) and brake wires to the engine bay) took 6 to 6.5 hours in total. The 4-flat wire I put through a grommet right in the center of the trunk, right beneath the spare tire. Ran the (+) and brake wires together in a wire loom essentially following the driver's side rear brake line. Not planning on using a wired brake controller, but ran the wire up to the engine bay anyway since I was running the (+) wire anyway. Used a 10 AWG as that is the size of the wires already present on the dual-output harness and put in a 30A in-line fuse at the (+) terminal on the battery. Did not wire in the back-up light as I don't plan on pulling anything with reverse lights.

I really just wanted to post a couple of pictures (not the best as I was under the car without lifting it off the ground) of the driver's underside with the panels/covers removed for future reference for anyone that wants to get under there or is curious to see what is there (at least on the driver's side). The underbody panel consists of two pieces held in by lots and lots of bolts and a few plastic clips. I couldn't get a good enough pic to show where the bolts/clips are located. With the car not lifted, I was basically eating my cell phone camera.

image2.jpeg

Driver's side (just front of rear wheel to the right of pic) toward the front, left of pic.

image1.jpeg

Driver's side. Front of car to the left, rear to the right.

The underbody of this car is surprisingly well protected. The Car Care Nut guy wasn't kidding when he said it was some heavy duty protector/sound deadening material.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for this write up! I had the dealer install a hitch with the usual 4-pin when I bought my 2020 CX-9 and wondered what it would take to upgrade to a 7-pin someday.

One question on this aftermarket kit, how did they interface with the factory wiring?

Reason for the question, I'd helped a neighbor of mine do this on their Toyota minivan and like you said, you're pretty much eating your cell phone trying to take a picture of anything. But to pickup the brake light signal he had to splice into the factory wiring with a quick splice connector that was a pain to get a good connection with. We had to basically carefully strip back the wire the old fashioned way to get solid continuity.

If you have a 4 pin connector already, you don’t need to connect to the factory wiring for brake light signal. You buy a 4 pin to 7 pin connector. The original 4 pins connect into it and provide the brake light, and turn signal. The missing pins are the 12V, the ground, the reverse light and the brake controller signal.

If you really needed the reverse light signal then you would need to splice into the reverse light factory wiring, but a lot of people just leave it disconnected.

If you have a 4 pin connector already, you don’t need to connect to the factory wiring for brake light signal. You buy a 4 pin to 7 pin connector. The original 4 pins connect into it and provide the brake light, and turn signal. The missing pins are the 12V, the ground, the reverse light and the brake controller signal.

If you really needed the reverse light signal then you would need to splice into the reverse light factory wiring, but a lot of people just leave it disconnected.
Yup that makes sense. Even though I don't need it on my CX-9 I was curious how the kit you bought to add it to yours did it?

The one my neighbor bought worked in the end but the splice connector they used was pretty awful without stripping the wire back. How did your kit do it?

It was a really easy install, no splicing at all. Running the wiring for the 12v back to the battery at the front is the hardest part.

But i did not install a wired brake controller, I used a wireless controller. That would have likely added additional wiring front to back and potentially some splicing

Latest posts

Back