Vibrating driver side mirror?

My driver side mirror is still vibrating after like 45 mph (it was 55 mph like a while ago)... and its kinda annoying... there is nothin to do bout it, at least thats what my dealer said.. i might trade in my cx-9 with an escalade im not sure yet..

well last week i took my cx-9 to the dealer and they replaced some kind of bolt or sumtin i dont know its name, tech guy said its a small part in the mirror and it needs to be replaced. anyway they replaced it and it kinda stopped vibrating, cant say perfect tho.Sumtimes i ask to my self=> Man why didnt i just buy the audi q7? cause cx-9 was waay cheaper than q7 haha... q7 was like 52 and i got my cx-9 gt for 34.

I have the vibrating driver's side mirror problem too. I've never had this problem with any other car, and I've owned about 20 cars over the years.

Are Mazda aware of the issue? Can it be fixed by dealer service?

I have same vibrating issue. My dealer replaced it, but it's still vibrating as before with a bit less.

Same here guys! I have an 07 Mazdaspeed 3 gt and the mirror issue is a real pain in the ass. I first tried to super glue the mirror itself to the black frame around it.. no luck.. Then I tried super gluing all the bolts and torqueing everything down... no luck... then I just went to mazda and had them replace the whole housing.. no luck... then I adding some weight to the mirror to make it heavier.. no luck.. then I tried gluing the ball joints down on the mirror housing.. and still no luck.

I just had the mirror replaced by Mazda in Nov of 08 so there is no current fix to this. I really don't know what direction to go with this. Anyone try any other solutions?

I have the answer to everyone's mirror problem!!!

Today I decided to Dynomat the entire mirror fixture. I pretty much put a piece of dynomat in between any piece in the mirror that connected to another that would transfer vibration from the car. I also dynomated the entire part on the car where the mirror screws in. It took me like 2 hrs to disassemble and dynomat but it's 95% better. There is a very slight rattle but nothing that you would notice like before.

Good luck everyone!

This is getting on my nerves now. They replaced the mirror and it still vibrates like before, if not worse. I am seriously going to write a letter to Mazda USA and complain the crap out of them.

At any rate, no way I am going back to this BS stealership (upyours)

Ask the MazdaTechie on this forum. He really seems to know this car quite well....

http://www.mazdaforum.com/forumid_235/tt.htm

I've tried to get him on this forum, but haven't had any success

We got a CX-9 about a month ago. I noticed the vibrating mirror. Dealer service Manager claimed he had never seen one vibrate, then suggested we drive another CX-9 to see if they all do it. I'm not too happy, I don't care if they all do it, none of them should vibrate. I've never owned a car where the mirror vibrated like this. Service manager was supposed to call Mazda, I checked a few days later and he hadn't called them yet. It has been a couple of weeks with no response. I'm going to try again this week.

Has anyone had this successfully fixed yet? If so, what did they do?

My 07' has the built-in turn signals and my mirrors vibrate like I have a 12" woofer in the damn doors. The driver's side seems to do it worse. The rate of vibration seems to increase depending on road surface condition and speed.

I have the turn signals in mine and I haven't noticed any vibrating.. Maybe I wasn't paying attention to it though. Is it really noticeable?

You know, I love Mazda vehicles, but the one thing they can learn from Toyota and Honda is how to design a vibration-free mirror glass.

Mine's not that bad either, but every other vehicle I've driven in the last 10-12 years had steady mirror glass through the entire rpm range and in all wind and road conditions. Not like it's out-of-reach technology.

And, I bet every single CX-9 manufactured to date suffers from the issue to one degree or another. Shame is Mazda doesn't give a rat's ass. They train the service managers to look at you like you're crazy when you seek remedy for a legitimate issue.

Last edited:
Shaking mirror

Same here - I just picked up 09 CX-9 GT with the LED turn signals built in to the mirrors and I too noticed the mirror shaking. Although it's not that bad I think both driver and passenger side shake, though the passenger side seems a bit less. That is because it is a concave mirror giving wider field of view thus it's not that noticeable. The driver side on the other hand shakes a lot. Ive had 10 year old Nissan Pathfinder and the mirrors were rock solid even when driving off-road. It is a shame that $40,000 SUV with so many great features (I Love BSMC) is hindered by such a trivial issue. I have read many posts from unhappy CX-9 owners trying different things to get it fixed - some get lucky and have dealer replace the mirrors under warranty but that proves to be short lived and often times the new mirrors shake even more than the originals (VERY FRUSTRATING) after a few weeks.

I don't mean to be negative but my car has only 700 miles and in addition to shaking driver mirror I noticed brake pedal judder - especially when applied with moderate force during heavy braking (not noticeable when braking lightly) - has any of you experienced similar problem?

There is no clear solution to why this problem happens but I found that if you line the mirror components with dynomat it should clear it up about 95%. Check the post of page 2 about this.

Thanks for dissecting this. If this is true, I wonder how were the passengers' side are made? Wouldn't that be the same design as well? If so, shouldn't they vibrate as well (huh)

After taking a mirror apart for paint touch up, I see now what the problem probably is. These mirrors are made up of a bunch of different parts, rather than a solid shell and the mirror and motor assembly.

Every time you split something you create potential for movement between them.

The door mount isn't secured to the mirror frame across the entire width, but just close to the mount. The shell is 4 parts, instead of 1 or 2. In fact, the little black part at the bottom edge is held on by nothing more than the painted part overlapping it with a tiny lip. Just no structural integrity.

The problem with my theory is the fact that a lot of us don;t have this problem.

A question for the owners with the vibration: When you move the glass manually, does it ratchet (rapid clicking) in all 4 directions?

Good news!!

I took the 9 in for power seat and airbag sensor recall. I mentioned to them the mirrors vibrate. The service advisor found out there is a TSB on it.

61VWZ20 EXT MIRROR

This is the code they provided on the print out. Bascially he told me the tech put some insulated foam behind the mirror to stabilize it.

Back