Turbo intake: Foam or K&N style

smp3000

Contributor
:
04' EVO VIII
I've heard a lot of debate about what tpe of intake filter actually works better for Tubo vehicles. Some are heavily biased towards the mesh K&N style filters and then some are pro Foam- like HKS uses... What do you guys think?

Here is quite an interesting study:
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/airfilter.html

Apparantly foam filters do everything better than gauze(K&N) filters other than the amount of air flow. Although, the gauze lets more air AND more dirt through, making it a better choice than the foam IF you don't mind extra dirt. :)

oh, and apparantly the foam filters are sturdier and filter better and longer than the gauze filters....

:rolleyes:

hehe.. Yeah that's why I brought this whole topic up. I want to know if RM was just blowing smoke up my ass.

Yeah, it was good to see that study - I have no reason not to trust RM but it's nice to get confirmation from an outside source. What did you think of that link?

Wow interesting...............However I have read more than one place that foam filtration was not as good.........huh.

I remeber a while back a local guy here in miami doing repeated multiple tests on the dyno with differet filters and the foams came in last place...........hell I told you this was contreversial:D

read the link and decide for yourself. I am all for the foam filters because they don't break down over time like the gauze filters and they block more particles than the gauze filters.

the .125 hp increase in one compared to the other really doesn't matter.

I have not tried foam, but from ALL the studies I have read including the one sean posted- I'd have to say that there really isn't a clear advantage either way. Not enough of one to cause much if any performance or safety gain.

Anyone that says there is, is also probably in the business....

Just my $.02 american.

yeah, it's not much to quibble over. My only real reason to go with foam versus gauze would be the longevity - gauze being a natural fiber and foam being synthetic it breaks down over time. But I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor in what CAI to purchase etc...

Back