Changing oil grade? Y/N?

It definitely will. But that's a different subject than viscosity, which is what is being discussed here.

5W-30 will objectively protect your engine better than 0W-20 due to its viscosity. This is really important for turbo motors, less so for the NA motor. The oil in the turbo motor will get hotter and needs the viscosity protection (oil breaks down and thins out at high temperatures).

I agree with your post. It can get below -20F at times in some places in Canada, and yet the CX-9 only uses 5W-30. It's not a magic cutoff number after all. It's a range, and the vast majority of the time most places are above extreme freezing temperatures.

As I said in the other thread, the engine is much quieter running 5W-30 than it is with 0W-20. I could hear the difference the first time I started the car. It's quieter at idle and at normal cruising speeds. It's a free upgrade. Also, as stated in the thread by others, 0W-20 is thin to start and even worse after it's used.

Last edited:
Dictionary

FUD
/fəd/

noun
fear, uncertainty and doubt
Well , it appears thats not a word- in any dictionary that reputable ..its a slang acronym - and this is a thread on oil ,not turbos. -~ I post facts supported by data from reliable sources , which ( in the case of my turbo threads ) is for the purpose of improving the ownership experience for those who have turbos and to help others decide if its right for them . Its called an open discussion of facts ,based on testing, science and expert testimony , so people can learn , and teach with rebuttals for a healthy debate . -
I see you may not like these facts , but if you have a contrary opinion and can support it with scientific or professional data- Im happy to read it and reply . But when you start making personal attacks and avoid the subject then its not productive . If you are refering to the last post , these person(s) gave an opinion and i replied . You have no place telling others what they can or cant say , unless its outside the terms of participation - which I am not - So please , what is it about the facts on turbos Ive mentioned you have issue with ? Im right here !

I agree with your post. It can get below -20F at times in some places in Canada, and yet the CX-9 only uses 5W-30. It's not a magic cutoff number after all. It's a range, and the vast majority of the time most places are above extreme freezing temperatures.

As I said in the other thread, the engine is much quieter running 5W-30 than it is with 0W-20. I could hear the difference the first time I started the car. It's quieter at idle and at normal cruising speeds. It's a free upgrade. Also, as stated in the thread by others, 0W-20 is thin to start and even worse after it's used.
Well the data does not show thats true - 0w-20 proves to be more efficient than 5W-30 as tested - I submitted the evidence which is accurate - as well there is no damage from 0w-20 and in fact the 0W may decrease wear on startups as was proven when cold - so thats just hearsay ---your opinion . not science

I see that people here move informstion they dislike , even though true , to other locations saying its not about a cx5- off topic - Well this is on topic
. In the owners manusl for the 22-23-24 -25 CX5 it states that in the USA 0W-20 is the recommended oil for the magnificent 2.5 N/A . . It also says the 5W-30 is recommended in other countries i the same engine , and on the Turbo 2.5 . There are some here in the cx5 forum who say that they recomend using 5W-30 in the 2.5na in the USA against the recomended grade of 0W-20 . I use 0W-20 because it tests to be more efficient and gives better gas mileage among other benifits- and has no greater wear -if any ? . The only reasons Ive seen and read for making the change was owners in this forum say , that 5W-30 is quieter , also is not used in the usa because of cafe standards , and that its to thin- none of this is science- quieter ? did you test the decibels , and even if so is that a better thing ? how so ? - its just made up belief, myth by wannabe techs - I have an expert with testing data showing the conparison between these two grades and he has a 6.2 liter C8 Corvette engine with Cylinder Deactivation !!! yeah ! - a near perfect match to the Mazda 2.5N with CD - and theres a Mazda engine in the video as well- great to know that a 495bhp racing engine has much incommon with the Mazda engine- so here it is - you decide -He does state 10X " use what the manufacturer recomends " period . !

Never said there's any damage using 0W-20. Just said that in my vehicle, 5W-30 is noticeably quieter in normal use, which it is. My opinion and experience.

Never said there's any damage using 0W-20. Just said it's quieter, which it is. My opinion and experience, as I stated.
Ok , lets say thats true - but we have no evidence ( no decible test ) but I will give you that - does that mean that ,it is a better oil to use ? Does 5W protect better on start-ups over 0W ? - Does the 30 make the engine perfom better / more efficiently and provide better or less protection over 20 ?
I honestly believe that overall the 0W-20 is superior .....now .....given the data and that it is used in other countries - i would consider it if it was a hot climate - year round .

Either one will protect your engine for the recommended oil change interval. I spend the vast majority of my time above extreme freezing temperatures, so I choose 5W-30.

Ive followed oils , brands , grades etc for decades and seen many changes . As well heard many people suggest that changing the grade is good in a CX5 N/A for example ...from the current 0W-20 to a 5W-30 / which we see recomended in the turbo 2.5 and 2.5n/a in countries outside the US.
This is in my opinion a major decision to make and thus should be supported by facts that are scientific and obviously dont void the warranty. Ive read some that make the change say because , "my engine is much quieter" , or "dont use 0W-20 in the NA because is a predicate of " CAFE " regulations and is to thin to protect the engine properly " others cite why other countries get 5W-30 recomended on what appears to be the exact same vehicle .
So whats best ? I personally have an N/A 2.5 - 2023 and its uses 0W-20 in the US- Im sticking with that and have many reasons why. I looked for a good video which contains up to date scientific information on multi-grade oils and has tested data why they have reached their conclusions, and recomendations. Also they have a direct comparison to the difference between 0W-20 and 5W-30.

I choose this video for these reasons , and because they use a current 6.2 liter C8-N/A Corvette engine with ...get this ...Cylinder Deactivation !!! A close engine tech wise to the Mazda 2.5 N/A but obviously 4 cylinders shy . Its a good sign GMs top sports car has CD in its NA as a testament to its fundamental reliability and usefullness in fuel savings ..even on a 495bhp performance engine !
Please feel free to comment and interpret the findings and/or add why you use a specific grade oil either recomended or not.
I spent 9 years at the drag strip in Indianapolis and most of the racers are using 0W-10 & 0W-20 and their engines are not blowing up. They turn considerably more rpm’s that our grocery getters.

Either one will protect your engine for the recommended oil change interval. I spend the vast majority of my time above extreme freezing temperatures, so I choose 5W-30.
Well , if you read the OP , I never told anyone what to do or not - I was just asking and providing sone data that might help clarify things - I expected push back - but I dont think you have a problem - I live in a very cold winter area 6000ft and then up to 120 in some cases in the summer - so I may go 5W-30 or 5W-25 in summer- crazzzzeee stuff ;-)- Im thinking anything between 0W-20 ---5W-30 ....works based on the info - 0W-20/25/30
5W-20/25/30 - all could be fine--- be nice if there was a 2.5W -25 eh ! splitter down the middle

This has been discussed thousands of times on this forum. The basic reason for which Mazda recommends 0W-20 in US and 5W-30 for the rest of the world is CAFE requirements in US. If I recall, in the US maintenance manual it says "0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy". To achieve optimum fuel economy! That's Mazda's way to comply with CAFE in US(again!). Other manufactures don't care about the CAFE and choose to pay the penalty. The general consensus is it's your car, put whatever oil you like. I do my oil change at Mazda and ask for 5W-30. Not once a mechanic or anybody there told me that I can't or they won't or I lose warranty If I put 5W-30 in my car.

This has been discussed thousands of times on this forum. The basic reason for which Mazda recommends 0W-20 in US and 5W-30 for the rest of the world is CAFE requirements in US. If I recall, in the manual it says "0W-20 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy". To achieve optimum fuel economy! That's Mazda's way to comply with CAFE. Other manufactures don't care about the CAFE and choose to pay the penalty. The general consensus is it's your car, put whatever oil you like. I do my oil change at Mazda and ask for 5W-30. Not once a mechanic or anybody there told me that I can't or they won't or I lose warranty If I put 5W-30 in my car.
Thats true - I checked - but not everything is what it appears - You saw the data - the 0W -20 is more efficient - not less protective - and it has MOLY ...30 does not so i like that . I see these discussions as well and oils change - everthing changes - so never stop learning - i say -
I have seldom seen legitimate testing or master tech testimonials - and science helps , thanks 4 the feedback

I like to keep it simple. So, if 0W-20 is fancier than 5W-30, then why Mazda doesn't recommend the same oil all over the world? It's up to your personal choice. Whether you live in United Kingdom or in Japan or in Australia or Argentina or Romania or United States, it's the same car. How would that even make sense: only US has the right oil and the other countries don't?

I see that people here move informstion they dislike , even though true , to other locations saying its not about a cx5- off topic - Well this is on topic
. In the owners manusl for the 22-23-24 -25 CX5 it states that in the USA 0W-20 is the recommended oil for the magnificent 2.5 N/A . . It also says the 5W-30 is recommended in other countries i the same engine , and on the Turbo 2.5 . There are some here in the cx5 forum who say that they recomend using 5W-30 in the 2.5na in the USA against the recomended grade of 0W-20 . I use 0W-20 because it tests to be more efficient and gives better gas mileage among other benifits- and has no greater wear -if any ? . The only reasons Ive seen and read for making the change was owners in this forum say , that 5W-30 is quieter , also is not used in the usa because of cafe standards , and that its to thin- none of this is science- quieter ? did you test the decibels , and even if so is that a better thing ? how so ? - its just made up belief, myth by wannabe techs - I have an expert with testing data showing the conparison between these two grades and he has a 6.2 liter C8 Corvette engine with Cylinder Deactivation !!! yeah ! - a near perfect match to the Mazda 2.5N with CD - and theres a Mazda engine in the video as well- great to know that a 495bhp racing engine has much incommon with the Mazda engine- so here it is - you decide -He does state 10X " use what the manufacturer recomends " period . !
@GTXT23 Your thread was not "disliked" or moved to off topic. It was moved to the most appropriate Forum which is CX-5 Powertrain. Please post in the Forum that best matches your topic and do not repost the same thread.

Your duplicate threads have been merged and cleaned up.

Now back to the thread topic, thank you.

Yeah CRV or Rogue -- Just dont buy a turbo -- big issues -- major maintenance issues -- super low resale value , high insurance -- etc etc -- good call !!
I would not buy a Rogue myself but CRV has much better resale value. My 2016 CRV touring held most of its value for 7 years. When it was totaled it was worth about the same as my 2023 Cx5 turbo is now. Not a single issue or a single warranty claim with. Biggest disappointment for me with the Mazda CX5 is poor resale value. I have been spoiled by vehicles that keep value and should have done my due diligence on checking the Mazda but I made the mistake of thinking it held value.

Thats true - I checked - but not everything is what it appears - You saw the data - the 0W -20 is more efficient - not less protective - and it has MOLY ...30 does not so i like that . I see these discussions as well and oils change - everthing changes - so never stop learning - i say -
I have seldom seen legitimate testing or master tech testimonials - and science helps , thanks 4 the feedback
Molybdenum is a friction modifier used in thinner oils. It's not needed nearly as much in oils with more viscosity. You should see how much Toyota puts in their 0W-8. Way more than Mazda.

@GTXT23 Your thread was not "disliked" or moved to off topic. It was moved to the most appropriate Forum which is CX-5 Powertrain. Please post in the Forum that best matches your topic and do not repost the same thread.

Your duplicate threads have been merged and cleaned up.

Now back to the thread topic, thank you.
Honestly -- If you read the OP -- I was trying to tease out the best and most educated people in the group to convince me which oil grade is really the " best " ? I seriously have been on the fence about this issue and have 2 new CX5s and think its important - since there is ambiguity in the owners manual - In the end a few posts really got to me - and had me thinking about being fully dug in on only using 0W-20 and not 5W-30 - which this engine uses both - So I now have come to a new conclusion after being beaten up thoroughly - that 5W-30 is not a bad choice..if full synthetic -- and that I will consider its use it in summer and go with ....full synthetic which oddly the OE spec does NOT recommend with the 5W-30 ?? in 2024 ? ---
I mean this is some slippery stuff here :) - They say use 0W-20 full synthetic in the USA - which the dealers will use ...yet they wont put the more expensive 0W-20 GF-5 W/Moly in unless you ask and pay xtra ? Ok so thats confusion smoke #1 - then we see that everywhere except the USA Mazda says use NON-synthetic 5W-30 ? say WHAT ? -- Now its even more ridiculous -So theres an OP about a member calling Mazda about this on DEC-19 2023 and getting the brush off - Then I posted a video where Mobil-1 ( i trust ) did an exact comparison between 0W-20 and 5W-30 ( except the 5W-30 was full synthetic ) which showed the 0W-20 was more efficient and yielded better performance and gas mileage -- by a cat hair - ok then what's the difference if they tested NON- Synthetic 5W-30 against full syn 0W-20 ? - So back to square one ---except i learned and hopefully others too -- that this is not really " simple " if you are into Mazdas, cars and these details matter --otherwise what's the point of the forum if we are just ...well just change the oil and shut up -- its no bigge -
I am very happy people participated and learned alot - and considered changing my mind !
I am going to potentially
make a change from 0W-20 full syn to 5W-25 full syn in summer and split the difference..... if I switch - 'This is a great forum and heated debates often yield great results - I dont think everyone agrees - but in the end its still interesting to examine and continue learning about this subject - Thank You !

Last edited:
Back