I emailed Mazda USA on synthetic oil for turbo engines

:
2023 CX5 turbo
It bugged me that the Mazda branded 5W30 oil is conventional oil (in USA market) so yesterday I emailed Mazda USA thinking I would probably not get a response back, but to my surprise the next day (today) I received a reply. The reply was "Mazda recommends conventional SAE 5W-30 engine oil be used for your vehicle engine type to ensure that your vehicle operates as intended and to ensure maximum engine performance. If you would rather use synthetic engine oil for your vehicle please consult with the service department of your nearest Mazda to confirm this will not harm your vehicle." how friggin bogus is that?....Has any other car maker recommended a conventional oil in a turbo engine ever?

If you were to send the same email to Mazda USA next week, you might get a different reply from a different service rep.

No need to overthink this. Mazda doesn't specify whether or not to use conventional or synthetic oil in the Owner's Manual, so use whatever oil you want, just make sure it is the correct weight and has the required certifications, and follow the Scheduled Maintenance.

you can quite literally put almost any oil you want into your car without any issues. change it on time, forget about it, on with your day. done.

you all don't think it is strange? Mazda branded 5w30 oil in the USA is conventional but in Canada it is synthetic seems strange as f*** to me....and for the record I know I can use whatever I want I just find strange....

When I took my CX-50 (turbo) in for its first service (only one so far) I asked the service manager if it was true that the turbo engines got conventional oil, and he yes it was, but he didn't know why. Then, when I looked at the service sheet/receipt afterwards, it showed synthetic oil was used. Go figger.

hahah What kind of MNAO joke is that.
Its sad that the customer experience is going downhill last few years. Mazda will never make it to the luxury segment in US. They should sell to Toyota and be done with it. The EV market will also crush them i few years.
Makes me want to change brands sooner than later.

hahah What kind of MNAO joke is that.
Its sad that the customer experience is going downhill last few years. Mazda will never make it to the luxury segment in US. They should sell to Toyota and be done with it. The EV market will also crush them i few years.
Makes me want to change brands sooner than later.
Can you imagine Mazda took such foolish advice and decided to stop building such great vehicles?

It's a "canned" answer, don't overthink it. This person obviously doesn't know the difference. Not all reps are knowledgeable. That being said, I've gotten some well informed answers from Mazda when making inquiries.

you all don't think it is strange? Mazda branded 5w30 oil in the USA is conventional but in Canada it is synthetic seems strange as f*** to me....and for the record I know I can use whatever I want I just find strange....
Yes, I do! From what I understand Turbo engines are hard on the spark plugs and the oil, and you need an oil that can stand up to the extra punishment. Turbos run hot and the engine oil is used to lubricate them. That extreme heat can breakdown the oil and result in sludge. So why not use the best oil out there, synthetic, which is less likely to breakdown in these conditions.

I thought they got either a synthetic or a synthetic blend. Either way, I put the best synthetic in mine. Buy in bulk and save a lot.

Even if it is strange, it's not worth worrying about. The 2.5T engine has been available since 2016. No engine issues related to carbon build-up, oil coking, or even oil consumption (until they had the valve design issues for 2021 models). I would guess that more than half of the owners use the dealership for oil changes or buy the cheapest oil that will work, meaning they are also filling with a conventional or synthetic blend. Further, Mazda hasn't made any changes to the owner's manuals to specify synthetic oil since 2016. If it was so "bad" to use it, they would have changed it a long time ago to cover their ass.

Use synthetic 5W-30 and keep on truckin

Even if it is strange, it's not worth worrying about. The 2.5T engine has been available since 2016. No engine issues related to carbon build-up, oil coking, or even oil consumption (until they had the valve design issues for 2021 models). I would guess that more than half of the owners use the dealership for oil changes or buy the cheapest oil that will work, meaning they are also filling with a conventional or synthetic blend. Further, Mazda hasn't made any changes to the owner's manuals to specify synthetic oil since 2016. If it was so "bad" to use it, they would have changed it a long time ago to cover their ass.

Use synthetic 5W-30 and keep on truckin
Logic wins again.

Yes, I do! From what I understand Turbo engines are hard on the spark plugs and the oil, and you need an oil that can stand up to the extra punishment. Turbos run hot and the engine oil is used to lubricate them. That extreme heat can breakdown the oil and result in sludge. So why not use the best oil out there, synthetic, which is less likely to breakdown in these conditions.
That's not true at all. Turbo engines have been running on plain old regular oil since the dawn of the turbo in the 60s. The modern turbo prefers (and some do require) better gas, but there is no requirement for synthetic oil on a turbo that I have ever heard.

This is actually a valid point. Turbochargers, not talking about the engine, spin at high speeds and at extreme heat and are an expensive part to replace, you'd think a full synthetic would be spec'd. But I guess if you use a good qualifying oil it should be ok under 5k miles.

That's exactly right because a synthetic oil won't break down as fast as a straight dino oil does at higher temps. And since dino oil can easily last 5k, unless you're waiting much longer, there's no advantage to syn. Mazda knows what they're doing. 8)

That's not true at all. Turbo engines have been running on plain old regular oil since the dawn of the turbo in the 60s. The modern turbo prefers (and some do require) better gas, but there is no requirement for synthetic oil on a turbo that I have ever heard.
Well, my 2020 Fiat Spider with a Turbo engine requires synthetic supposedly because of the abuse the oil takes from the turbo.

Well, my 2020 Fiat Spider with a Turbo engine requires synthetic supposedly because of the abuse the oil takes from the turbo.
Yeah that's funny, a Miata engine at that...

It's not a debate that synthetic is just plain better in every way including cold starts and high temps, I'm not sure why it's even still discussed in 2023, going on 2024.

Back