I emailed Mazda USA on synthetic oil for turbo engines

In USA/ Canada rec is 0w-20 full syn ..which I use with the Moly from Mazda and do the oil changes myself
One thing I learned recently is the importance of making sure that oil is well-mixed. Moly tends to want to separate.

Toyota has new 2025 engines running on 0W-16 !
Actually, 0W-8.

One thing I learned recently is the importance of making sure that oil is well-mixed. Moly tends to want to separate.

Actually, 0W-8.
0W-8 in what ? I found another video of the car care nut -Master Tech who rebuilt Yoda engines for years strangely HIGHLY RECOMMENDING the Mazda CX5 Turbo !!!-
...says Mazda invented the new patented open valve on compression stroke intake valves - and its on the CX5T/NA and Yoda wanted it so they partnered and have it in their newest dyna-something engine this year . He says its a " Miller Cycle " engine - pretty good info on Mazda T engine internals -
Are you using Mazda OE oil w/moly or another ? I dont know if it matters - but I am never more than a one oil change of oil on hand- never thought to shake it , but Ive heard oil does go bad particularly if opened - that oil Mobil-1 can is classic - I have 10 filters but thats a pretty stable item- Interesting video - must be nice to have A pops with all the tools / lift etc -

Last edited:
I keyed on your post for 2 reasons -- I have a Rhoudim White / Parchment CX5 and Ive never seen another white / white since I picked it up ( its a 23 ) - Then I saw your inquiry on oil -- Thats a slippery question -- and Ive been back and forth on it - You sound pretty well educated on cars so this is just what I found-- In USA/ Canada rec is 0w-20 full syn ..which I use with the Moly from Mazda and do the oil changes myself - Then of course you see that all other 2.5NA engines world wide use
5W-30..and get this non-synthetic ! Also its the recommended oil for the Turbo 2.5 ? -- so more confusing --non-synthetic ? So some say that the emission / "cafe" regulations forced Mazda to use the 0w-20 in the USA- no proof of that however
--- ok- thats considered , and possible , but I went digging further to get actual data on if it delivers the same protection , on start up and provides the same fuel economy and lasts ? all the stuff -- IT appears that the 0W-20 not only protects better on start ups but delivers better fuel economy and engine protection/performance . I think that the 5W-30 is recommended in these other countries due to cost and availability-- its cheaper ...but thats a guess .
Toyota has new 2025 engines running on 0W-16 !
I found a reputable clip of Mobil 1 providing accurate testing data on these 2 specific oils head to head ! The only difference is the 5W-30 tested is full synthetic -- but the 0W-20 still provided better gas mileage and performance - protected as well or better ..and thats against the full syn 5W-30;
Im sticking with the rec 0W-20 as my current other Mazda from 2010 runs on 0W-20 and its over 150,000 miles and dosent burn a drop of oil and runs great- let me know if you decide to switch and why you decided to ,- They use a Corvette C8 NA engine with cylinder deactivation in the test so its a near identical engine to the Mazda with high compression ---so its only difference is dry sump and V8 vs inline4.
Will Thinner Oils Damage Your Engine?
You'd do well over at BITOG

You say Mazda recommends 0w-20 full synthetic, but they don't. All 0w-20 oil is either synth-blend or full synth. There is no such thing as "conventional" 0W-20 and Mazda does not say full synth anywhere

Btw, the Mazda high moly oil made by Idemitsu is still being made to the old GF5 spec that first came out in 2010. The latest GF6 A/B spec came out in 2020. I don't know why Idemitsu hasn't updated it yet.

And please stop saying that the Corvette C8 engine and the Mazda 2.5 are nearly identical. That's just silly. The C8 engine has an 11.5:1 compression ratio and puts out almost 500hp, while the Mazda 2.5 does 13:1 and does 187hp. That doesn't make them identical to Mazda engines.

And here's something else that will trigger your oil OCD: the min quality spec that Mazda calls for in it's turbo engines is 5w-30 SM. That spec came out in 2004

You'd do well over at BITOG

You say Mazda recommends 0w-20 full synthetic, but they don't. All 0w-20 oil is either synth-blend or full synth. There is no such thing as "conventional" 0W-20 and Mazda does not say full synth anywhere

Btw, the Mazda high moly oil made by Idemitsu is still being made to the old GF5 spec that first came out in 2010. The latest GF6 A/B spec came out in 2020. I don't know why Idemitsu hasn't updated it yet.

And please stop saying that the Corvette C8 engine and the Mazda 2.5 are nearly identical. That's just silly. The C8 engine has an 11.5:1 compression ratio and puts out almost 500hp, while the Mazda 2.5 does 13:1 and does 187hp. That doesn't make them identical to Mazda engines.

And here's something else that will trigger your oil OCD: the min quality spec that Mazda calls for in it's turbo engines is 5w-30 SM. That spec came out in 2004

You didnt read what I wrote or need glasses- and I dont decipher grade school acronyms - I said 0W-20 was " conventional "and the 5W-30 rec by Mazda is conventional ....the 0W-20 is full syn gf-5 which I said I use OE from Mazda - and I will write what I like - restate , that both the C8 GM engine and the Mazda 2.5NA are similar in that they are both NA high compression engines with cylinder deactivation ...except that the C8 engine has dry sump and a V8 - you dont like the comparison --oh well hang in there - did you buy a used rental or was it certified from a dealer ?

I'm trying to figure out how to state this nicely but I'm not sure how someone can say the 2.5NA Skyactive is similar to the C8 V8.

Skyactive: 2.5L, 4 cylinder, DOHC, 13:1 compression
C8 V8: 6.2L, 8 cylinder, Pushrod, 11.5:1 compression

I have much more to state, but don't want to get banned.

I'm trying to figure out how to state this nicely but I'm not sure how someone can say the 2.5NA Skyactive is similar to the C8 V8.

Skyactive: 2.5L, 4 cylinder, DOHC, 13:1 compression
C8 V8: 6.2L, 8 cylinder, Pushrod, 11.5:1 compression

I have much more to state, but don't want to get banned.

It might be easier to disengage from that part of the conversation.

Back