Trade-in value blues

Hell...if you can make it look like this with a simple suspension drop and wheels, its not ugly at all!

oops, I meant to reply to the post about the Ford Transit Connect. I agree that I like the quirky design of the Quest. I also like the Cube; too bad they're withdrawing it from the US market.

Having rented and ridden in a half dozen newer GC/T&Cs I can say the trans would be a deal breaker for me. Gets confused too often and then slams into a gear or stutters and slips. No thanks.

When shopping for the 5, it was a competition between it and the GC, basically because of price. The trans issues are what scared me away from the GC, as well as the superior drivability of the 5. I've rented a GC twice in the past 2 years, both for 2 week long vacations. It is more comfortable than the 5, and handles the corners pretty well for the size - much better than the Oddy and Quest I test drove. NVH is poor, though, trans is thrashy, and my kids complained about the comfort of the seats in the 3rd row. They also have experience in their grandparents' GC, and they don't give it high marks for comfort.

When we tested the Quest, I told my kids not to emote too loudly if they like it. My daughter came up to my side, and in a stern whisper, threatened to kill me if I didn't buy the Quest. Suffice it to say, they were disappointed when we left the dealer without the car. The Quest is really incredibly comfortable. The 5 was my failed experiment to find something I actually enjoy driving, and now I'm going to pay for it! I've never owned a car I've bought for fewer than 7 years. So this "mistake" is a first for me.

Last edited:
oops, I meant to reply to the post about the Ford Transit Connect. I agree that I like the quirky design of the Quest. I also like the Cube; too bad they're withdrawing it from the US market.

WHAT!!!! NOOOO! I love the Cube too. WTF is wrong with car makers??? We don't all want vanilla flavored gold f'ing hybrid Camrys.

OMG

I like the Cube too.

ANd and I like the Juke as well!!!

GC is a great rental, I don't want to own one, regardless of cost.

Well, Nissan has more important non-vanilla flavored cars to make:

2014_nissan_murano_crosscabriolet-pic-1159206590292701754.jpeg

Of course no body told Nissan that people don't like puke flavored cars either.

Well, Nissan has more important non-vanilla flavored cars to make:

I believe that car was built due to the request of MRS. Carlos Ghosn...

That's actually the only angle I've ever seen that makes it look not terrible.

As for the Juke, I simply can't abide that monstrosity. It, and many of the CUVs today, remind me of those cartoony Hot Wheels that came out in the late 80's - early 90's. I was always more of a yellow box Matchbox fan myself.

That's actually the only angle I've ever seen that makes it look not terrible.

As for the Juke, I simply can't abide that monstrosity. It, and many of the CUVs today, remind me of those cartoony Hot Wheels that came out in the late 80's - early 90's. I was always more of a yellow box Matchbox fan myself.

I hate CUV, but I think the Juke is pretty awesome, turbo motor, manual trans, and its small compared to the competitors

Even more specifically, we all live in Southern California! :D
and are multiple Miata owners (I've had only 3).

sorry for the thread-jack. really feeling for ya OP. Just went thru the same thing. but I'd rather let a rat gnaw on my d**k before owner a quest.

and are multiple Miata owners (I've had only 3).

sorry for the thread-jack. really feeling for ya OP. Just went thru the same thing. but I'd rather let a rat gnaw on my d**k before owner a quest.

Ha! No worries on the thread jack, I'm about through deliberating on this. I might just keep the 5 for a couple years until the kids are physically unable to fit in the 3rd row. I agree that a minivan is like kryptonite, but I went with the balanced approach with the 5, picking a vehicle that drives like a car, is relatively fuel efficient, can carry 6 passengers and didn't cost an arm and a leg. Unfortunately, it compromises in areas that make the car less than ideal for the passengers and cargo. So it's a toss-up between the "suffering" of my passengers and the common sense of keeping a practical vehicle that's close to being paid off.

I may yet become a eunuch!

Man I'm trying to trade in the wife's cRoutan, so far the offer is $15,500 but we still owe $16,252 on it. Going to trade it in towards a Leaf. I'm wondering if the Juke Nismo seats would be an easy swap.... I hate dealing with dealerships.

Man I'm trying to trade in the wife's cRoutan, so far the offer is $15,500 but we still owe $16,252 on it. Going to trade it in towards a Leaf. I'm wondering if the Juke Nismo seats would be an easy swap.... I hate dealing with dealerships.

Maybe it's something with Nissan dealerships. The experience buying my wife's Maxima was terrible, too. They kept us there for more than 4 hours - even with my children who were young at the time - and there was no trade-in involved. They tried every trick in the psychology playbook to squeeze every last penny they could out of us. I really loathe the way they make you wait to try to break your will. Bastids!

Good luck with the cRoutan. It's probably equal to the 5 in resale leprosy. I almost bought one of those before the 5, but I was reading about alignment issues with them at the time, and a host of other problems, and during my test drive I could have sworn it was pulling to the right. Placebo effect and all. Anyway, it was being offered at a deep discount as it had been on the lot there for almost a year!

Maybe it's something with Nissan dealerships. The experience buying my wife's Maxima was terrible, too. They kept us there for more than 4 hours - even with my children who were young at the time - and there was no trade-in involved. They tried every trick in the psychology playbook to squeeze every last penny they could out of us. I really loathe the way they make you wait to try to break your will. Bastids!

Good luck with the cRoutan. It's probably equal to the 5 in resale leprosy. I almost bought one of those before the 5, but I was reading about alignment issues with them at the time, and a host of other problems, and during my test drive I could have sworn it was pulling to the right. Placebo effect and all. Anyway, it was being offered at a deep discount as it had been on the lot there for almost a year!

The sales chick seemed like she makes a terrible sales person. Did no research on me despite lots of emailing back and forth for the past week with a friggin email signature that says I'm an automotive editor. Tried to run numbers for the normal MSRP price despite me stating multiple times before hand I will get a VPP code. Barely remembered anything about the email correspondence.

I don't know if shes just lazy or one bad sales person, but if I was trying to make a sale and it was via email and there was obvious information on what the person does for work, I'd go above and beyond to get a little bit of background to know who I'm selling to first. I gave her an hour heads-up that I was going to stop by, and for me it'd only take 10 minutes to go through all the previous emails to be prepared. So I'm ready to just go to a different dealership. Am I just being difficult or do I expect too much from sales people?

Have you tried Carmax?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

TUANIES-You are not being difficult. We bought 4 new cars last year. Each transaction lasted less than an hour, longest being 58 minutes.

I do all my work on email/phone. I step into the dealership only for the $ and taking delivery.

Lexus has provided me with the best experience. Toyota and Mazda has been worst. Then again 4 Mazda dealership in 20 miles of me has closed in the last 3 years.

Good luck.

Back