Thoughts on trading my Mazda6 for a Stinger?

:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
16 Lexus RX350
23 Kia Stinger GT Elite
Hey folks. I've thinking for a while now about trading (selling?) my 2017 6 GT for something else.
It still has value, given the used car market, plus the low mileage (37,000 kms, about 22,000 miles on it).
The 5 year warranty expired, and even though it still runs and looks great, I have fears that little problems will start to show up.
The rear brakes need doing (rust), the drivers heated seat element failed (again), and the dealer wants over $1,000 to fix it, and one of the rear stabilizer bar links is broken.
The part is cheap. I tried to fix it myself, but I could not get the old broken one off. I'll have to pay someone to replace it.

I have been seriously looking at a 2023 Kia Stinger. This is the last year of production. They are discontinuing the car (low sales).
I've been enamoured with this car since it came out, and the latest version has most of the kinks worked out of it.
There aren't many around, but I've gone to see two of them. A red one with black interior, and a gun metal grey one with the red accented interior.
They are absolutely gorgeous, inside and out.
The biggest reason I'm looking at them is the power train. 368 HP, eight speed tranny and AWD.
I've always found my Mazda somewhat lacking in the power department. I'm always wanting a little more.
The local dealers are also not jacking up the prices on these things. They are not adding $10,000 to the MSRP like some other makes and models.

If anyone has some comments or first hand knowledge on the Stinger, I'd appreciate some feedback.
Thankyou.

Last edited:
A newer Mazda6 with the turbo engine would be a nice step up, but maybe not enough of a step up to warrant selling your current car. The Stinger, on the other hand..

I don't really have any first-hand experience with the Stinger. I've actually only ever seen one in person a few times, but I do like the way they look. I would definitely go for one with a "less loud" exterior colour as they are sure to attract attention. Personally I'd choose a Panthera Metal or Lake Stone colour if possible, those would look amazing with some aftermarket bronze wheels IMO.

A quick google search shows that 22 and 23 models don't have any safety recalls, which is great. Seems that most issues have to do with the transmission, but they don't seem too common and you'll have a nice long warranty to fall back on at least.

IMO, if you like the car after a nice long test drive, I'd say go for it!

Other considerations would be the Cadillac CT5, TLX, and the 3 series. If you can get one without a markup, I say go for it. Does the Crown interest you at all? Not very traditional looking, but 30 MPG, an adjustable suspension, and 340 HP would have me at least glancing.

Other considerations would be the Cadillac CT5, TLX, and the 3 series. If you can get one without a markup, I say go for it. Does the Crown interest you at all? Not very traditional looking, but 30 MPG, an adjustable suspension, and 340 HP would have me at least glancing.
Of the three you mentioned, the CT5 might be worth a look, but then again, the reviews are not that great. It's a GM, so quality might be suspect. It also gets a lot of criticism for the interior. It's not up to luxury standards that Cadillac supposedly stands for.
Anything made by Honda is automatically off my list, therefore the TLX would not be a consideration. My past experiences with Honda and Acura over the years have been sour, to say the least. Sorry to say, but there will never be a Honda product in my driveway.
As for BMW, I'd be leaning more towards Audi if I was to go German. My son had a BMW, and I didn't like it all. Driving dynamics were crap (it was an X1). Another friend has one as well, and they are not keen on it anymore either.
Now, you mentioned the "Crown:. Hate to admit it, but I have no idea what that is.
Thanks for all the input so far.

A newer Mazda6 with the turbo engine would be a nice step up, but maybe not enough of a step up to warrant selling your current car. The Stinger, on the other hand..
Ya, I was thinking that earlier, but honestly, I was not a fan of the 2018 refresh, either exterior or interior. Personally, I think the 2017 is the better looking car, inside and out.
Thanks though.

Of the three you mentioned, the CT5 might be worth a look, but then again, the reviews are not that great. It's a GM, so quality might be suspect. It also gets a lot of criticism for the interior. It's not up to luxury standards that Cadillac supposedly stands for.
Anything made by Honda is automatically off my list, therefore the TLX would not be a consideration. My past experiences with Honda and Acura over the years have been sour, to say the least. Sorry to say, but there will never be a Honda product in my driveway.
As for BMW, I'd be leaning more towards Audi if I was to go German. My son had a BMW, and I didn't like it all. Driving dynamics were crap (it was an X1). Another friend has one as well, and they are not keen on it anymore either.
Now, you mentioned the "Crown:. Hate to admit it, but I have no idea what that is.
Thanks for all the input so far.
Toyota Crown. Be warned: looks are polarizing.

Toyota Crown. Be warned: looks are polarizing.
Just googled it and read a few reviews and comments.
It's an interesting vehicle for sure, but after reading and looking at dozens of pics, it is probably not the car for me. First of all, only the top of the line model gets any sort of horse power number, and that's because it's the hybrid version. The lower models get a 4 banger and a CVT. That right there is a deal breaker. One of the test drivers complained loudly about how intrusive the safety nannies are as well. Granted, you can disable them, but that defeats the purpose.
The looks? Yes, very polarizing. I have not liked the way Toyota's or Lexus' looks for a number of years now. That gaping maw in front of most of their models is butt ugly. Sorry to say, but this Crown is not my cup of tea. I did like it's predecesor the Avalon though. I seriously considered it back in 2017 when I was car shopping.
Thanks for mentioning it though. Appreciate the input.

This is quite funny. I was thinking about doing exactly the same thing, trading in my 2017 Mazda 6 with a 2023 Stinger Tribute (if I can get one). I am still thinking the only problem is that I need a bigger car and I can't buy 2 new cars in the same year. Let me know how things are going for you.

@Muggs1 . I'll update whenever I pull the trigger.
It will be a few weeks until anything happens. My wife is in the hospital, so that has paused any further initiatives. I do plan to make a change at some point in the near future though, so we'll see.

Are you in Canada as well?

@Muggs1 . I'll update whenever I pull the trigger.
It will be a few weeks until anything happens. My wife is in the hospital, so that has paused any further initiatives. I do plan to make a change at some point in the near future though, so we'll see.

Are you in Canada as well?
Yup, I am in the GTA.

Back