Trade-in value blues

microvan

:
2012 Mazda5 GT (sold)
So, I've recently been thinking about getting something bigger than the 5, because my kids are getting older, and they often voice how uncomfortable they are in the third row for any extended distance. I'm also a bit shocked by the recent poor marks the 5 received from IIHS, especially the side impact scores.

Anyway, went to look at a Nissan dealer this weekend and was offered $13k for my 2012 GT with 27,000 miles. That's shockingly low. Clearbook gives a trade-in value of $16k for my car in "fair" condition, KBB gives a trade-in value in the range of $14,250-$15,150 in very good condition, NADA gives a similar range to KBB, and Edmunds shows $15,000 trade-in.

The Nissan dealer wouldn't budge an inch, showing me their auction sales data, and saying they couldn't risk more than $13k based on several data points showing sales at that price.

I haven't been to any other dealer, but based on this dealer's frank refusal to give me any more, it's not an encouraging sign.

Find a dealership that follows the KBB prices exactly. When I traded in my HHR SS on the VW cRoutan 3 years back, the dealership just used the KBB price because KBB guarantees the trade-in will sell at that price at auction or something.

Find a dealership that follows the KBB prices exactly. When I traded in my HHR SS on the VW cRoutan 3 years back, the dealership just used the KBB price because KBB guarantees the trade-in will sell at that price at auction or something.

I suppose it is dealer independent. I've noted that Dodge dealerships have the Edmunds TMV feature directly on their websites. Unfortunately, I'm interested in the Quest and their availability is limited. I don't feel like spending another 2 hours at a dealer, meeting with 3 separate managers, all telling me the same thing. I was surprised they let me walk without even budging on the trade-in value. Basically, they told me I'd have to pay MSRP on the Quest before they would give me $2K more on the trade-in. The Truecar certified price on that model, however, was $5K below MSRP.

Crash tests are in line with a vehicle whose architecture is a decade or more old. We got our MZ5 heavily discounted new ( Almost $5k off) and realize it's a niche vehicle from a brand that lacks strong resale values so if traded we would expect the same. I see a lot more MZ5 in the city. Maybe try a different dealer in a more metro area?

Have you looked at the Odyssey? I like the 2nd row comfort, but feel the 3rd row sits much lower and feels more claustrophobic than our old '05 Oddy or '03 T & C.

So, I've recently been thinking about getting something bigger than the 5, because my kids are getting older, and they often voice how uncomfortable they are in the third row for any extended distance. I'm also a bit shocked by the recent poor marks the 5 received from IIHS, especially the side impact scores.

Anyway, went to look at a Nissan dealer this weekend and was offered $13k for my 2012 GT with 27,000 miles. That's shockingly low. Clearbook gives a trade-in value of $16k for my car in "fair" condition, KBB gives a trade-in value in the range of $14,250-$15,150 in very good condition, NADA gives a similar range to KBB, and Edmunds shows $15,000 trade-in.

The Nissan dealer wouldn't budge an inch, showing me their auction sales data, and saying they couldn't risk more than $13k based on several data points showing sales at that price.

I haven't been to any other dealer, but based on this dealer's frank refusal to give me any more, it's not an encouraging sign.

Dealers is NJ rarely,if ever use KBB.
The Galves book is used and is lower than KBB,Edmunds etc.

sell it privately? There are Carmaxs in NJ, no?

We just went through this issue in this particular thread. I had a guy offer me $13K for an m5 that's even newer than yours. (bird)

Not surprising on the # you got. You could push for a bit more. I like the outward look of the Quest, but I don't care for its CVT.

Good luck.

Have you looked at the Odyssey? I like the 2nd row comfort, but feel the 3rd row sits much lower and feels more claustrophobic than our old '05 Oddy or '03 T & C.

Did test drive an Oddy, but they're just too expensive in the EX trim level I want. The Quest is probably more comfortable, I've been impressed by the durability of my wife's '10 Maxima, and personally I prefer the Quest's looks (I know, not everyone's cup of tea). Comparably equipped to the Oddy, it's also about $3k cheaper. My kids also preferred the comfort and interior space in the Quest; it's high ceiling really makes it feel roomy. Also, amongst the DGC/T&C, Oddy and Quest, I find the Quest's driver's seat the most comfortable. (Another reason I'm shopping for a replacement is that I find the 5's thigh support lacking, and any trip over a couple hours becomes very uncomfortable).

Dealers is NJ rarely,if ever use KBB.
The Galves book is used and is lower than KBB,Edmunds etc.

Bastards.

sell it privately? There are Carmaxs in NJ, no?

We just went through this issue in this particular thread. I had a guy offer me $13K for an m5 that's even newer than yours. (bird)

Closest Carmax is 65 miles away. Not sure I want to drive that distance to be disappointed. I've had no trouble selling cars <$5000 or so, but any higher and I can't really deal with the time/effort it requires to get the thing sold. On top of that, I'd be out rental fees as I shop for a replacement. I don't have a 3rd car or one I can borrow.

I just read your thread, and in response I'd like to mention that mine's a Clearwater Blue. Too bad I'm on the opposite coast!

As someone who is on car #39 in life, sub $5k cars are easy to dump as a fat girl picked up at a bar. I love buying and selling those things

As you get higher in price range, cars get higher to sell. Unless you just trade in/dump at car max and just don't care.

Good luck, you and me might be the only people that like the Quest. My Nissan dealer friend, says they don't sell well at all.

I never see them on the road in LA, that is not a Enterprise rental.

Sell it here before trading in. I'm sure you'd get more than trade in and benefit a future owner :)

That quoted price does seem too low but the Nissan dealer's used car lot might be full or they are turning over Quests at a good rate where they don't need to rush (dunno). Carmax (not to be confused with Carsense) is worth the drive.

Last edited:
Good luck, you and me might be the only people that like the Quest. My Nissan dealer friend, says they don't sell well at all.

I never see them on the road in LA, that is not a Enterprise rental.
Add me to the list. I also prefer the Quest over the Oddy, Sienna, GC, or T&C.

Yup, I too like the Quest looks. Have you taken a look at the Ford Transit Connect Wagon?

2014-Ford-Transit-Connect-Wagon-Front-Quarter-623x389.jpg

ford-transit-connect-34_600x0w.jpg

rally/davicho So may all of US weirdos who like the mazda5, are also the same weirdos that like the NIssan Quest :p :D

P.S. to the OP, poor resale value go hand in hand with Mazda (9 Miatas, mazda 3, mazdaspeed3, and mazda5 owner here)

The Quest looks a bit like a bloated 5. They are relatively rare around here, and supply is short, so I'm guessing they don't sell well, but the limited supply might help move them off the lots faster. Honestly, the one I tested had a lot of schmutz on both the interior and exterior, so I'm guessing it had been on the lot for a while, and received very little detail attention.

The selling point for me on the Quest, moreso than the looks, is the space/comfort for the price. The thing is like a luxury cruiser on the road. Unfortunately, it takes corners like a Norwegian cruise ship as well.

I may end up with a GC on price alone, but I don't hate the looks of the thing (especially the blacktop models - I know, I know), and it is surprisingly composed in corners. It also has the most versatile, utilitarian interior. The downsides, of course, are a terrible transmission, poor NVH, and uncomfortable seats.

Who knows, I may end up keeping the 5 for a couple more years. The rear seats aren't any worse than the third row of the Dodge Colt Vista I sat in as a teen!

Last edited:
Yup, I too like the Quest looks. Have you taken a look at the Ford Transit Connect Wagon?

2014-Ford-Transit-Connect-Wagon-Front-Quarter-623x389.jpg

ford-transit-connect-34_600x0w.jpg

Looked at one the other day, and it's worth a look. It's based of the same platform as the Focus and Escape, both of which have good road manners and are sorta fun to drive compared to most of their classes to hopefully this thing follows suit.

Has a super high ceiling, and it looks like (dealer was closed couldn't get into it) the 3rd row seats recline and also slide to trade cargo room with legroom. It's powered by the same basic motor as our MZ5 and has one extra gear in the auto trans so it's probably kinda pokey.

Having rented and ridden in a half dozen newer GC/T&Cs I can say the trans would be a deal breaker for me. Gets confused too often and then slams into a gear or stutters and slips. No thanks.

Last edited:
Not really surprising. The dealer tried to low ball me on trade in too. As said above, try Carmax to see what you can get.

Also, I don't really trust kbb value much, I bought my used Mazda5 for about $3000 under kbb. I know others have gotten even better deals.

Sent from my LG G Pad 8.3

Back