thepope540's KLDE swap / build thread

Just something Ive been wondering for a while, were you able to get your car to to pass inspection after the swap?

^^^ Lucky bastard. Up here in NEOhio we have e-check in some of the counties, mine included. That's why my KL P5 is going to be registered to my girlfriends house. haha

Great pics and great work. We would all LOVE some video of it when you get a chance. heh-heh

^^^ Lucky bastard. Up here in NEOhio we have e-check in some of the counties, mine included. That's why my KL P5 is going to be registered to my girlfriends house. haha

Great pics and great work. We would all LOVE some video of it when you get a chance. heh-heh

Hamilton county did away with e-check two years ago which simplifies things.

I haven't updated this in forever...

I've put about 3K miles on the swap and am really happy with it. Now I just keep thinking about turning up the boost. The motor seems to love it :)

I welded up a new front subframe that ties everything together underneath and also supplies some skid protection under the motor. Its heavier than I had hoped it would be, but not much worse than the stock parts. I also wired in the stock coolant temp gauge and got the stock tach working with the Dakota Digital signal modifier. That little thing works great and is really easy to use. The car got a new windshield this week and I'm welding up a custom 3" exhaust in the very near future. After I get that done the only things left will be a custom intake manifold, battery relocation, and getting the AC up and running.

Hopefully I'll have some wits about me and I'll remember to post some pics as I get this stuff done.

you def have to remember to get some pics. that custom subframe sounds awesome. next time you have it in the air please get a pic

Yeah, I'm always tinkering on the car and getting little things done, but almost always forget that I started this. I think the thing people will really want pics of is the CF Intake manifold I have in the works. I built the main molds yesterday. I'm pretty excited about it getting it together - freeing some ponies, and cleaning up the engine bay.

Wow, I just happened to stumble upon your thread here. I must say, I am impressed that someone stuck a KL in a protege, the thought has crossed my mind with mine.

Also I just happen to have a spare ZE intake manifold laying around. Let me know if you are interested in it, I would make a pretty good deal on it just to see it go.

^^^ Blast. I'm putting a turbo a KLDE in my P5 and hoped he could help me with a couple questions when I get them.

balls- I just realized I bumped an old thread. Sorry, guys.

Last edited:
I'll bump the old thread as well. I'm happy to help just let me know if you need anything.

Hey Pope, which radiator setup did you use for your KL and then the boosted KL? I used an OEM style MX-6 rad on my first KL swap and it worked well but I would like an aftermarket setup but aluminum KL radiators are limited. So I was debating just going with another OEM MX-6 rad or a Mishimoto P5 rad and it would bolt right up but I would need to run longer coolant hoses. Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I used the mx6 radiator and it was boosted the whole time. I never even ran it NA. I will say that the radiator was somewhat undersized for boosted duty. It would really struggle to keep temps in check on a hot day. It wasn't dangerous, but it was hotter than I liked (it would climb to around 210 at a long stop light). Given your options, I would run the mishimoto p5 radiator and rework your hoses. Thats probably going to give you the best results.

That's what I'll go with then. Thanks for your reply, mate!

Back