thepope540's KLDE swap / build thread

plus you can just take the kl out of the msp then give me the msp
lol i like this idea

I killed it with only 42.4 miles of fun. In the many iterations of the tune that have been in the MS I forgot to recheck my revlimits. Default is 24000 rpm. I don't know how high it reved, but tires broke free under power and it revs faster than I was thinking and I didn't get out of it soon enough.... I'll have to tear it down and find out how bad it is. I could hear a bad valve tick and then it stalled.

I just realized something interesting. I had only had the car for sale for a short time in January before it threw a rod, and now I've only had it listed for a couple days and it eats a valve. I think the car is like a creepy stalker and is hurting itself whenever it feels like I don't love it. Maybe I should plan on keeping it to keep everyone safe.

LOL, hopefully the wife wont be too pissed off and the damage is minimal. It also happened at a bad time, school is about ready to start up....

that blows pope!! hopefully it isnt that bad and you can get it running! next time take it easy! haha

LOL, hopefully the wife wont be too pissed off and the damage is minimal. It also happened at a bad time, school is about ready to start up....

She's pretty amazing, but she's definitely tired of me constantly working on the car. She took it well, but she's not really on board with me putting it back together. She just wants it gone. I think it'll come down to how big of a headache fixing it is. Classes begin next Tuesday and that changes everything...

that blows pope!! hopefully it isnt that bad and you can get it running! next time take it easy! haha

This motor is done. It may be salvageable, but it would take a complete tear down and rebuild. It'll be cheaper to get a JDM KLZE and start over. I'm pricing my options now. Buy some of my stuff! :)

Mike Lowrey: Now that's how you supposed to drive! From now on that's how you drive!

but it does suck

Last edited:
She's pretty amazing, but she's definitely tired of me constantly working on the car. She took it well, but she's not really on board with me putting it back together. She just wants it gone. I think it'll come down to how big of a headache fixing it is. Classes begin next Tuesday and that changes everything...

This motor is done. It may be salvageable, but it would take a complete tear down and rebuild. It'll be cheaper to get a JDM KLZE and start over. I'm pricing my options now. Buy some of my stuff! :)

aww man so sorry to hear about the KL :(.

If you are going to toss this motor and get a new one let me know I may want the bottom end if we could work out a way to get it to me. Also, JDM Engine Zone on ebay is the importer I used for my engine, top notch guys, my motor came in great shape(check my thread for the initial inspection). They shipped to my door via lift gate truck and they are on the east coast so even better. I paid $880shipped which is not bad at all.

I'm keeping it until its fixed. After that we'll see. My wife would like to see it go and frankly there's a part of me that would love get rid of it. On the other hand I have so many hours and so much effort in it that it would suck to sell....

You gotta keep it and get it running right. Otherwise all of your efforts while providing a learning experience will be a waste of your valuable time. Good luck(2thumbs)

Picked up the replacement motor tonight. (Thanks Craigslist!) Now I just need to decide if I'm doing the install in my garage or tow the car back to Dad's to put it on the lift. I'll have her back up and running soon.

Last edited:
Picked up the replacement motor tonight. (Thanks Craigslist!) Now I just need to decide if I'm doing the install in my garage or towing the car back to Dad's to put it on the lift. I'll have her back up and running soon.

Awesome to hear man! Looking forward to seeing the new engine in (popcorn)

I sent you a PM about the harness I was buying off you. Hope to get a reply soon.

Picked up the replacement motor tonight. (Thanks Craigslist!) Now I just need to decide if I'm doing the install in my garage or towing the car back to Dad's to put it on the lift. I'll have her back up and running soon.

(rockon)

What part of town is your Dad's lift at?

Back