thepope540's KLDE swap / build thread

thepope540

:
2003.5 Yellow Speed - Sold, Spicy - Sold, #639 Black Mica
I'm starting my official build thread. Some of you know that I threw a rod on Jan 14. and have decided to take a slightly different road to getting the car up and running again. Here is the current build

Used KLDE from a Millenia w/ a custom T3 based turbo system @ ~4psi
Custom Air to Water intercooler system
MX6 trans - open diff
MX6 radiator
Slim fans
Megasquirt 1 v2.2 with:
- Spark Control
- Dual O2 Sensor Support
- Launch Control
- 3 programmable outputs for things like nitrous or water injection control
- Fan Relay Control
- Switchable Tables
- PWM Idle to control stock IAC
Completely custom harness for Megasquirt and the retention of ABS and stock gauges.
Probe Addiction turbo pipes to stock exhaust - I'm building a 3" system now that I'm getting caught up on my downpipes.
New water pump, timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, and idler pulleys
AEM Wideband and Autometer boost gauge in custom DIN mount below radio
Dave B gauge rings
Pedder's lower control Arm bushings
K8 flywheel
Grip Force stage 3 clutch
Millenia S injectors
Street Unit front and rear motor mounts
Up and down pipes are partially heat wrapped
K&N air filter
AWR passenger side mount
Aluminum Coolant overflow Can
Custom 3" exhaust
Custom front chassis bracing

Jensen NVX3000pc mounted in the car with running Tunerstudio.

Here are some helpful links for those considering the swap:

http://www.*************.com/showthread.php/4835-How-To-KL-ZE-Swap-in-to-a-Protege

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123749499&highlight=mazda+mx6+swap

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701286978

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701277382

2/28/10 My car got a massive weight reduction today - Too bad that the power to weight ratio still sucks...
3/11/10 Not much progress but I found a great deal on an MS I v2.2 unit assembled specifically for boosted KLs :)
7/09/10 Haven't updated this in forever in the last few months here is the very short version of what has been happening - FMIC didn't work out so I built an air / water system and got that installed. Got the MS installed and very roughly tuned. Installed and configured my AEM wideband for MS use. Picked up a set of FD wheels to be installed. Installed the turbo and wrapped the up and downpipes. Came up with a custom power steering line from the pump to the rack. The list goes on and on, but the car was finally driven home!
8/??/10 Over-revved and dropped a valve - motor killed
12/18/10 Finally fully up and running on the new motor - Millenia DE w/ KL31 heads, curved neck manifold, KL01 cams, and DE bottom end. Only 4 psi of boost for the time being
7/1/11 I've put about 4K miles on this engine and I'm really happy6 with everything. The last couple things to do are to decide if I want to keep PS and AC and to recalibrate the stock CTS gauge it works but the range is slightly off. It shows overheating at about 200 degrees.

Attachments

• P1020018.JPG
    P1020018.JPG
    483.1 KB · Views: 1,027
  • P1020021.JPG
    P1020021.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 828
  • P1020019.JPG
    P1020019.JPG
    687.9 KB · Views: 851
  • P1020025.JPG
    P1020025.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 833
Last edited:
You'd be surprised what I can do with that :) The posts will just be super long.

I got to see this boosted KL-swap on MSP but how's that P5 ECU gonna work with KL-v6's ?

The p5 ECU will be used to turn on the main relays (fuel pump ect) and run the ABS system and thats pretty much it. The megasquirt will be wired up as a standalone running fuel, ignition, fans, and the VRIS system.

Last edited:
wow, this sounds impressive, hope everything happens without to much problems. defiantly going to be following this.

Good idea on it, I thought it was too tight space on MSP that you couldn't put turbo in it with KL ?

Did you get MSII build with files already or you tuning from scratch ?

You guys don't have state-inspections ?

No inspections so I don't have to worry about that. I'll be ordering my MS to build in the next couple weeks. I may be a little tight on space, but I'm going to make it work.

This will be a badass car. I <3 KL

Need anything let me know I still know a few people in the probe/mx6 world. Owned a few kl's before the MSP.

Back