The Ohio Random Thread... aka We Should Probably Be Working

I was a little concerned the guy in the red second gen RX-7 behind me was going to run up my ass a few times. My wife kept telling me I'd better not wreck her car, I didn't even get any tire squeal but I did have some fun over the crest in turn 5 and through the esses.

Was that you leaving the gaps with the copper color 70's RX-7 behind you?

sounds like you guys had some fun this weekend. Wish i could've made it but just too much stuff going on.

weekand at MOSW was a blast. so glad i went and met most of you guys. AJ and fin and a couple others that i have forgotten your names. But great times and the track was a blast. i didnt want it to end.

Are there any 2 owners in here/anyone knows a 2 owner that wants tinted 2 tails? Freshly painted with automotive paint (clear+black then 2 coats of straight clear and wet sanded and buffed...)

eb344206.jpg

Pm me!

Wish we could have stayed for the parade laps, but Chloe was getting REALLY cranky. She was out before we turned onto 97.

That was an '84-85 GSL-SE, and no. I was just ahead of Phen at the back of the pack.

I saw that a few times. I kept a comfortable distance just because I didn't like what I saw. Getting on to the track and starting to go around 1, the car stepped out twice under very very light throttle in 3rd gear. People aren't kidding when they say that being off line on cold tires makes things interesting. Once those tires warmed up there was no problem. I was getting paranoid because it felt like a tire was down.

I saw that a few times. I kept a comfortable distance just because I didn't like what I saw. Getting on to the track and starting to go around 1, the car stepped out twice under very very light throttle in 3rd gear. People aren't kidding when they say that being off line on cold tires makes things interesting. Once those tires warmed up there was no problem. I was getting paranoid because it felt like a tire was down.

I was taking it easy because it would be no fun being "that guy," not to mention any possible damage. To Robyn though I was pushing it (during her video on the second lap, she said something about everyone else braking for a corner but we were accelerating!). I told her later that we never got any tire squeal so were in a safe zone. Now had I still had the Advan Sports on it, I might have gone a bit faster...

we were sitting over by the top of madness and watched one of the hotlap cars go off...so I don't blame anybody that isn't comfortable taking it easy.

If we had done it, with Chloe in the car I would have been taking it pretty easy too.

I had the pleasure of watching AJ almost go off in that turn too. Had to stop for a second and evaluate if it was my tires squealing or his haha.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with having wanted to take it easy. Having said that, it was a lot of fun hanging back and then not taking it easy around some of the corners. I think I'm going to gift myself a hyperdrive at Mid Ohio for my birthday next year.

I think I'm going to gift myself a hyperdrive at Mid Ohio for my birthday next year.
Don't waste your time/money with Hyperdrive. Trust me, you'll be kicking yourself for not spending the $400 for the full weekend HPDE event. One 20 minute session just isn't worth it.

Regarding the parade lap I was basically at the front so I didn't see any of what you guys are talking about. If it weren't for Cory leaving a gap in front of him I would have just putted along mindlessly with the pace car. I never even left second gear. That doesn't mean I didn't get to have any fun in the corners though. I'll have to try to get the video off my wife's Sony camcorder so everyone can here me drone on about the proper lines to follow around Mid-Ohio, LOL!

I agree! One 20 minute session is just barely enough to get comfortable and figure out what you're doing.

^^^^
I agree with Jon and Will! You are far better off doing both days and becoming consistent in hitting your marks @ Mid-Ohio. It is a really technical track and once you learn it, you can literally drive any track in America! Try to find instructors that have a familiarity with front wheel drive, so you can learn the proper line for your car.

I think I'm going to gift myself a hyperdrive at Mid Ohio for my birthday next year.

I'm pretty sure they stopped doing Hyperdrives at Mid-O. I haven't seen them on the registration page for a while.

Try to find instructors that have a familiarity with front wheel drive, so you can learn the proper line for your car.

Definitely agree with that one. For my first PDE at Pittsburgh Int Race Complex last year, my instructor was very familiar with FWD. He races a green Honda Integra (type-r I think) in NASA time trials. I believe his name was Ron, but I suck with names so I could be wrong haha

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they stopped doing Hyperdrives at Mid-O. I haven't seen them on the registration page for a while.

Definitely agree with that one. For my first PDE at Pittsburgh Int Race Complex last year, my instructor was very familiar with FWD. He races a green Honda Integra (type-r I think) in NASA time trials. I believe his name was Ron, but I suck with names so I could be wrong haha

Ron Dodson is his name.

Ron Dodson is his name.

Ya that sounds right. I was actually pretty fortunate to get him as an instructor when I did my first Hyperdrive at Mid-O last year (I think the last Hyperdrive before they stopped offering them). I then saw him and his car at Pitt Race before the day started. I went up to him and asked him if he was an instructor for NASA. I then asked him if he remembered instructing a guy in a red MS3 at Mid-O for a Hyperdrive. He was like, "Ya I definitely remember you, do you need an instructor today?" I gladly accepted and it was definitely good having someone that understands FWD.

they have more TT people so they had to move HPDE groups around, they might have eliminated hyperdrives but I guess it might depend how many people sign up

Back