The Ohio Auto-X and Track Event chat thread

My car felt amazing at the autox, first chance I've had to push it and test the new suspension. Very happy with the results, could have got a much better raw time if I hadn't hit the 1 ******* cone on the very last pass... my time would have been 47.150

She also felt really good at the track, wasn't pushing it since the day was crappy, Will can comment on how I was doing.

sigh... now, for those of you who don't already know, I hit the wall sideways @ Mid Ohio yesterday doing around 70 MPH. Looks bad, so far the damage identified is a broken tie rod, body panels, bumpers, head and tail lights, driver seat is bent and maybe the passenger one as well. Don't know what else is broken or bent that would need to be replaced.

Coming up with a way to have it fixed as if I ended up in a ditch or something is really stressing me out, and with my bad luck (AAA already ****** me) I don't want to risk being dropped by my insurance and being sued for fraud. So, I'm waiting to hear back from my agent to see if my policy will cover it under a driving school event. I've been told it has happened locally with a different company, so hopefully it can happen. If it doesn't, then I'll have to deal with it. However, even if they process a claim it might be totalled due to the bad market value.

So far, estimates from MazdaSpeed Motorsports puts me close to $2k in parts alone. Still need to check the seats, have the frame checked to make sure its straight, re-do the alignment and get an estimate for paint.

If it's not covered, my options are:

1. Part it out and pay as much as I can on the loan: my part time is really bad right now, it will take a while to have it fixed, even working on it myself. I know this is basically giving up on the car I've worked so hard for, which was basically done, but I'm getting tired of having 2 jobs and having little to no time off. I've sacrificed many things to make this happen, and now its all gone to s***. Plus side: I get to have a life.

2. Tough it out and fix it myself, don't know how long that would take, and don't know how long Evan will let me keep it at his place (I can't work on it in my garage as I risk being evicted). The plus side: I get my car back.

3. Fix the tie rod so it can move, store it and instead of fixing it use that money towards an exocet. It will take longer than fixing it, but I might lean more towards this option if the frame is not straight and there's more to do than replace the panels. The weather strips are starting to fail, sometimes water leaks in, and the top is starting to show sign of wear that will lead to more leaks so that will not be cheap to fix. Plus side: I get my car back, with a stiffer chassis and 1,000 lbs lighter...

I know some of you fuckers want to see blood, so here she is...

Pablo, reach out to Tom, he may be able to assist from a legal perspective or point you in the right direction. It is his specialty.

Pablo, reach out to Tom, he may be able to assist from a legal perspective or point you in the right direction. It is his specialty.

Pablo, most insurers modified their policies several years ago to close the loopholes allowing for coverage for on-track incidents. Standard language now typically says that if you put a wheel on track, coverage is excluded without regard to reason. For example, even an incident occurring on a parade lap would be excluded under my personal auto policy.

If you want to email me a .pdf of your policy I'll be happy to take a look at it and get back to you, but don't get your hopes up. Sorry, man.

Ouch.
Glad you are ok.
While under different circumstances, my attitude towards fixing the car was very similar to yours and as you can see it took me almost 3 years to put it back together... and A LOT of $$$.
Store it for now, enjoy your new car, and ditch the second job. Summer is (almost) here - embrace it. And when / if my car is running, you can drive her around a big open parking lot. :D
If you want a bit of money on the side without being tied down to hours, I can hook you up with a lyft referral. There are no obligations and in 2 weeks I made enough for a florida vacation. Just sayin'.

Pablo, most insurers modified their policies several years ago to close the loopholes allowing for coverage for on-track incidents. Standard language now typically says that if you put a wheel on track, coverage is excluded without regard to reason. For example, even an incident occurring on a parade lap would be excluded under my personal auto policy.

If you want to email me a .pdf of your policy I'll be happy to take a look at it and get back to you, but don't get your hopes up. Sorry, man.

I reviewed my policy and found this exact thing under exclusions. They specifically call out any use on a surface designed for racing as excluded, then they go on further to outline any form of racing, racing school, or practice for racing.

But, Pablo posted over in his build thread and it sounds like his insurance is going to cover it, which is great news.

Here are a couple of my better laps from Friday at Mid-Ohio:

(sorry about the crappy lighting, I had the camera setup wrong)

Uploading a video from Monday right now.

Look at that fancy layout! Ballin status!

I'll have to watch it later with a decent internet connection and better speakers.

And here is a video from Monday with Evan telling me how it's done from the passenger seat:

Here is my best lap from the event. I managed to shave 7 seconds off my lap time from the last event. Still have more learning to do.

If it is totalled and you don't want it, let me know how much it is for you to buy it back. I'm glad you are ok.

It's hard not feeling like a complete idiot when you're entering the paddock riding in the tow truck, and then everybody hovering over your car. But, the video makes me feel better about it. I didn't do something stupid, just didn't catch it in time the second time it broke lose

You handled everything MUCH better than I would have been able to, that's for sure. I would've cried like a little b****. And you were right, the video shows it was just a little wobble you couldn't catch in time.

Nick, he came with a first gen RX-7 with 10k miles... very nice car. Had Marc as an instructor all day I believe, and managed to keep driving after that.

Just wanted to let you guys know that will be attending the June 2nd or the September Autointerests events @ Mid-Ohio that there is HPDE insurance available. When you request a quote, you can include the car as well as the modifications in the estimated value. Here's a link

http://locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/

Autointerests Events are overed by them.

Last edited:
Back