The numbers are out !!

I have the SCC article regarding the Spec-V and not to pour water on your fire, they came up with less than 140hp at the wheels. It was definately a dissapointing test according to SCC. I reserved My MSP about 3 months ago and with all of these articles now pouring in, it is just making the wait harder and harder. The numbers are a lot higher than I was expecting. Especially the torque figure. I was at Toronto Dragway park 2 weekends ago and there were two Spec-V's and they were both running 15.7-15.9, not once did they get in the 15.2-15.3 seconds range. Sweet car though, very torquey and a deep sound to the motor.

the "almzkid".

Actually guys, I didn't read the full article....:rolleyes:, SCC's sources indicated that there will be no protege turbo kit available....for now

It's also nice to know what BigBen, Spoolin, WShade, Stou and all the other custom turbo guys will be up against as far as the Mazdaspeed goes. The power you guys have is already enough to beat a Mazdaspeed in a straight line, but after reading the SCC article, you kind of get the impression that the Mazdaspeed is more of a solid performer in the twisties than our beloved MP3 was. I know the limited slip is the main factor for it's better feel, but they also claimed that the dampening is different from the MP3, thus enhancing the solid feel that the MP3 had. Hell their caption on the front of the mag next to the MS-P says it all. "Full Test, Full Wood"

For better power, SCC had the same idea I did. A larger diameter exhaust, bigger intercooler, then of course a boost controller. We can't ignore the obvious which would be a BOV and conical filter to increase the volume of the spooling noise. The BOV would help intimidate unsuspecting victims.(hump)

Last edited:
I'll have to look for that issue for the article...

I was under the impression that the suspension would carry over directly from the MP3. I wonder how/if they changed it?

beside the LSD, i wonder what else they changed on the MS-P as for the suspension. wouldnt be such a abad thing to switch over and sell my MP3 suspension. But I am going to look into the LSD.

There are actually quite a few differences in the two suspensions. Nothing dramatic but more upgrades. The stabilizer bars are larger as is the driveshaft. The have retuned the valve springs, bushings and dampeners. The LSD obviously, heavier front and rear anti-roll bars and firmer valving in the shock absorbers. Most of the upgrades are just to make up for the increase in power, but they have also solved the damping issue that was the only complaint about the MP3's handling. Also they have solved the bushing problem that afflicted most if not all MP3's ( damn the clunking is gone...that is to bad).

the "almzkid"

The stabilizer bars are larger
No, I think all they did different was to change the spring rates and increase the dampening of the struts. I'm almost positive about this.

Actually the stabilizer bars have been increased from 25mm to 27mm and the driveshaft diameter has increased from 22m to 24 mm. As I said not huge differences but when all the little differences are added up you get overall a much improved package. 0.86g vs 0.88g.

the "almzkid"

almzkid said:
I have the SCC article regarding the Spec-V and not to pour water on your fire, they came up with less than 140hp at the wheels. It was definately a dissapointing test according to SCC. I reserved My MSP about 3 months ago and with all of these articles now pouring in, it is just making the wait harder and harder. The numbers are a lot higher than I was expecting. Especially the torque figure. I was at Toronto Dragway park 2 weekends ago and there were two Spec-V's and they were both running 15.7-15.9, not once did they get in the 15.2-15.3 seconds range. Sweet car though, very torquey and a deep sound to the motor.

the "almzkid".

It's cool I mean, they did not dyno my car :)
When I did I got 143 whp (max)
and my best 1/4 mile is 15.28@90.61, so you are not hurting my feelings!

And how did you reserve your MSP? I went to mazda and they wouldn't even let me give them $$$$ to hold me one!

I went to Erin Mills Mazda in Mississauga in early June and gave them $1000 cdn of my hard earned money. I can use that as part of my down payment or I will get it back upon delivery and just trade in my current car. They are only getting two and both are spoken for already, so I would suggest searching the "Major" Mazda dealerships and see what you can find. I hope I didn't offend you. I like the Spec-V a lot. I just think they should have colour coded the interior ( that red is brutal ) and only matches a red or black car and also the rear needs some skirting badly. It sits to high in the air. I love the rims and the performance is definately right in the ball park for a really good price. It is the cheapest in this segement that is for sure.

the "almzkid".

Wow, the WHP for the MS-P is good! I wonder what they did to eliminate drivetrain loss?

Anyway, didn't I read somewhere that the original mp3 actually handled BETTER than the MS-P?

Kooldino said:
Wow, the WHP for the MS-P is good! I wonder what they did to eliminate drivetrain loss?

Anyway, didn't I read somewhere that the original mp3 actually handled BETTER than the MS-P?

Well, I think Car and Driver said the MP3 RIDES better than the MS-P. They think the MS-P is way too harsh, hence the 'skateboard-like ride' description :rolleyes:

The old farts at Car and Driver preferred the ride of the MP3 better. Those old ***** didn't like how stiff the MSP was. They said that the MSP was a little harsh and wasn't as "cushy" as the MP3 was. I am still young so give me a car that is a little to stiff of a ride any day. If you want a soft comfortable ride, get a Lincoln and stop dissing sweet rides like the MSP. As you can tell Car and Driver gets on my last nerve. Any good handling car is going to be stiff and maybe a little harsh, my uncle has a 89 Carrera 4 and It is STIFF, but it is the best handling car I have ever driven. You have to give a little to get a lot.

the "almzkid".

The MS-P does have the same diameter sway bars as the MP3. Sadly protegetech isn't the most reliable source for information. I think they may have included the larger diameter sway bars that Racing Beat briefly spoke of their website almost a year or so ago.

It's interesting to see Car & Driver's view on a great handling import and then comparing it to Sport Compact Cars view on that very same car. I say we take C&D beloved SVT Focus then run it on a track against the MS-P. That would be a very interesting match up. We know how they both look on paper, but how would they do in real life is what counts.

Sadly protegetech isn't the most reliable source for information
Actually, I know the guy that owns the site because he is here in Dallas, and he gets his info straight from Mazda most of the time. He has some connections there and Mazda will soon be linking to his site. But I still don't believe that the sway bars are bigger. If they are though, I want them for sure!

big_ben said:

Actually, I know the guy that owns the site because he is here in Dallas, and he gets his info straight from Mazda most of the time. He has some connections there and Mazda will soon be linking to his site. But I still don't believe that the sway bars are bigger. If they are though, I want them for sure!

I can vouch for this. Looking at the picture in the SCC magazine I have in front of me, I think that the swaybar is the same size at least under the hood.

The swaybars are bigger, I think it was mentioned in the Car and Driver issue as well.

I know a guy who has connections to Mazda and he also tells me they are bigger.

luckily houston will be getting 9 MS Proteges :D ill be the owner of one. btw, linux, how can you see any difference between 2-3 MM from a picture?

Back