Teeson's Probege Build Thread

they are except
the Ford probe is the only kl to have the hvac port though

Ahh ok makes sense, doesn't make sense why he is hearing a vac leak inside his car onless it is not in his car and maybe a grommit was knocked out and he is hearing the leak from the back of the engine ??

it could be leaking from outside and I can here it the car, its probably too loud with the exhaust at the moment.
I believe the hot/cold is vacuum driven on these cars, the vent system is cable, but both connect to the knobds via cable.
Does the protege have a pass through HVAC? maybe I missed a return hose or something silly...
My vacuum hose reducer could be the problem too..

@ihone did you ever get your's figured out?

on the rear passenger side of your block if you miss that small tube you will have a leak, i cant get pics today, tornado fest

IMG_377.jpg

iacbpa.jpg

those go together
there is a thread over the the IAC system
http://www.performanceprobe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2907

I still haven't made any headway on my HVAC issues. The mode doesn't switch at all, fan works, rear defogger works, recirc/fresh air mode works, temp adjuster doesn't work, and ofcourse until I get the lines made and it hooked up - the AC button just lights up but doesn't do anything either.

I'm lost on the HVAC though. Is there supposed to be a vaccum line connected to the system somewhere? Or electrical to a motor somewhere for a door to change the temp? Or is it all cable driven? I didn't touch any of that as I was creating this monster - left the entire center console in the car, and worked everything around it.

ahh yes I read that thread many times lol. The IAC has a vac port coming off the metal rails that tie the system together, thats how it was from the probe. I don't remember taking a hose off the port I have plugged though. I'm not sure what it is, but its seems to be unnecessary in my case...

I think the coupler I made is leaking, and I can only hear the noise from inside the car.

there is a vacuum port for the HVAC system, I believe that heat/cool knob is vacuum operated but controlled by a cable(s) from the knob. The port for it is right to the upper left of the brake booster in the engine bay. I'll grab a pic later...

you have to hook that port to the IAC otherwise you will have a bad idle
still going to get HVAC diagrams

you have to hook that port to the IAC otherwise you will have a bad idle
still going to get HVAC diagrams

Oh. Well that explains the rough idle.. what does the port on the vac rail go to then?
and yes my coupler was leaking some..

Tee - so you're saying there's a vacuum port somewhere by the brake master cylinder? I don't know where that is, nor have I messed with that at all. Any pics of it?

Something else I noticed - yesterday the car was idling a lil slower than normal. As I was pulling up to the redlight to wait for green - I pressed the brakes - and it died! Now, that wasn't an issue really - but what was the issue was the fact that as soon as it died - the damn power assist went away from the brakes and I had none! Is there some sort of a checkvalve in the vacuum line feeding the brake booster?

I've had that happen twice. I assumed it was my district crapping out.
nope, no check valve, its just a straight line, I'm looking for an easy way to adapt the line with a 90 degree elbow to clear up a little more space

IMG_3775.jpg

ta-da. I used a bright orange thing to point this time...

KL's line is a 5/32 and the protege's side is like 1/4 or something. I just used the line from the FS and made a quick coupler.
Still need to prove that its working perfectly proper though..

i dont have that on my car, what does it run to?

i have the hole in my firewall for that, but i just run my vac gauge line through there

2012-04-04112110-1.jpg

most sure this is tight otherwise you will hear a leak on the passenger side

Last edited:
hmm, maybe I'm wrong there then. That hissing won't go away, unless I cap the line. Its weird because the FS had a line to it...
where is that pic taken from? I think its under the manifold on the passenger side. Thats the 90 degree elbow that connects the rear valve cover to the vaccum system.
Maybe that means our heater system isn't vacuum controlled at all. yeesh

My car has a almost race car like lumpy throttle. Its kinda fun, but getting annoying. I'm just reading your thread on PT Jedidiah about adjusting TPS. My high speed fan hasn't come on yet, and the low speed fan is stuck on, until my dad yanked it and blew a fuse. I'll have to try throwing a meter on it the trigger wire.
Also my temp gauge doesn't work, I hooked it up to the engine coolant sensor.. but I don't think that does the guage does it? the gauge used to be pinned at the top, now its stuck at the bottom...

Exhaust is about an inch off the ground, apparently the flange on the pre muffler is tilted.. our ghetto fix attempts didn't work either. Just have to save up and buy materials to fab a new one. Does the stock exhaust and the headers have enough support to keep the whole assembly off the ground? I could try and make another set of hangers if need be.

AAaaannnd that awful noise I set out to get rid of, is still there. FML. I guess its a wheel bearing, seeing as how everything else was replaced.

Need to order a Tach adapter, gotta get some funds

where is that pic taken from? I think its under the manifold on the passenger side. Thats the 90 degree elbow that connects the rear valve cover to the vaccum system.
Maybe that means our heater system isn't vacuum controlled at all. yeesh
I'm just reading your thread on PT Jedidiah about adjusting TPS. My high speed fan hasn't come on yet, and the low speed fan is stuck on, until my dad yanked it and blew a fuse.
Also my temp gauge doesn't work, I hooked it up to the engine coolant sensor.. but I don't think that does the guage does it?

Exhaust is about an inch off the ground, apparently the flange on the pre muffler is tilted.. our ghetto fix attempts didn't work either. Just have to save up and buy materials to fab a new one. Does the stock exhaust and the headers have enough support to keep the whole assembly off the ground? I could try and make another set of hangers if need be.

Need to order a Tach adapter, gotta get some funds

yep, it was under the IM on the rear passenger side
i dont think they are controled by a vacuum
i wired both my fan wires from the ecu together and ran them into the p5 fan wire
only 1 fan is suppose to kick on i believe
and for the temp gauge i pulled my temp sensor, and my extended my connector
i welded up some hangers on my exhaust it doesnt really sag
and im looking for a way to change the tach, but ill probably just end up buy an adapter

bakers electronixs tach converter for 50
but if the tach signal is analog and it needs to be digital, ill buy a Dakota digital

Hmm lemme know how it goes, I really need to buy one soon. I think the protege's could be digital since it doesn't have a distributor, but it could get tach from the position sensor...

small update: exhaust leaked temp fixed, only to break right away. Upped the idle speed, play with the TPS and the throttle plate... kinda idles now. Its a little annoying, any change I make the ECU seems to change right back after a minute or too. The MIL light is on and off, occasionally flashing. I can't seem to get the fan trick to work, the fans won't turn on. I'm gonna try and figure some things out at work with some special tools. :)D perks!)
My bandaid fix for my front motor mount broke (surprise) so I have a new one on the way. Temp gauge works, still debugging my wiring and writing all down, don't worry. Put my RX7 wheels on, Ima give her a bath then do some decent pics.

Back