synthetic oil burn out?

and the reason am posting is that i want find a synthetic oil viscosity that will not burn....

i think you are forgetting that am not burning with conventional oil. the engine compression is fine. if i had to replace the engine to fix the problem, than conventional oil would be a better solution

yes i could do that, but ONE of the point of a forum is to be able to help members save time and money. to find what other have tried....

if we all did that the forum would be half dead.

These cars don't hold very much oil, even if you used synthetic oil I wouldn't feel very comfortable about doing an extended change interval. If you're simply seeking good engine protection, you can get that from conventional oil (from what I've read, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle seems to be the best in terms of detergent content and longevity).

If you really want to switch to a synthetic oil, I suspect you'll have the same results with whatever brand you choose. It's either going to burn oil or it won't, sorry about the generalization but no one can give you a clear cut answer. You might want to try an oil with additives for older engines (I think Mobil 1 makes one) if you do notice that you're losing a little oil.

what's the manufactures recommendation 5-30? i can never remember...

Mazda recommends 5W-30 for the winter months and 10W-30 in the summer months. However you can safely run 5W-30 all year, the only difference being that 5W has better cold-start viscosity than 10W.

I bought my p5 at 200,000km and it had been running on conventional. I switched to amsoil 5w30 and it never burnt a drop the whole time I had it. We've never had a problem with a customer switching to synthetic (we almost always use amsoil) and burning oil. Even on higher mile engines.

I bought my p5 at 200,000km and it had been running on conventional. I switched to amsoil 5w30 and it never burnt a drop the whole time I had it. We've never had a problem with a customer switching to synthetic (we almost always use amsoil) and burning oil. Even on higher mile engines.

Good to know, so maybe if you're not burning oil, you simply won't burn oil when you switch to synthetic.

But I've seen it happen first hand where a car that previously burned a little oil started burning a lot of oil when it was switched to synthetic. It really seems to depend on the car...

My car drinks synthetic 1 quart every 1k or more its rediculous. The biggest cause of it is poor maintnence really. I know mine was treated poorly. My brothers 200k mile cobalt ss doesn't drink a drop and the motor is very clean and it was takin care of very well

All poor maintenance. 275,000 miles on my clunker with 10,000 mile oil change intervals with mobil 1 synthetic. Uses a whopping 1qt between oil changes. And I beat the s*** out of the car.

Synthetics have a more uniform molecular structure and is a tad smaller than conventional, so it can leak out more easily..

Back