synthetic oil burn out?

:
Mazda, Protege5 2002
I have 190k on my p5, have always used regular oil and decided to try synthetic mobil1 oil 5-30. after 4k miles of use i checked the dip stick and and found out that i was missing about qt and half of oil.

the car never burned oil with regular oil.

no smoke, no CEL. drives fine. good power and still ok MPG.

anyone had similar symptoms when you switch to synthetic oil. does the car not like synthetic oil?

with 190k you should stick to conventional. 5w-30 synthetic is pretty thin and slick and with the ring wear you have with that mileage i personally wouldnt run it. you should run 10w-30 or 10w-40 conventional.

+1 i have to run conventional or a burn a quart every 1000 miles. it doesnt really burn it with conventional

Have 164K on the '5 and have been running Valvoline 5W-30 synth for three years.
Burning a quart or less every 1500-2000; You will use more synthetic than dino in
higher mileage engines.

At that mileage there's no reason to switch to synthetic oil. My brother's car did the same thing when he switched to synthetic oil, he was burning half a liter per 1000km! Since then he's been using conventional high-mileage Pennzoil and it's been burning much less oil (to the point where he can almost make it between changes without topping up).

I swapped to synth at 260K kms and it drank like a homeless guy who broke into a liquor store! I'm running 10W40 now and no oil loss at all...

At that mileage there's no reason to switch to synthetic oil. My brother's car did the same thing when he switched to synthetic oil, he was burning half a liter per 1000km! Since then he's been using conventional high-mileage Pennzoil and it's been burning much less oil (to the point where he can almost make it between changes without topping up).

the reason i change to synthetic was because it offer longer interval, protection and higher mpg, i did get 2 more mpg with it.

has anyone tried different viscosity to solve the issue?

well am still saving even with the burning. 1 qt after 4k. is about 5 bucks. vs having to change the oil at $25.

Last edited:
Damn. I just assumed I was burning oil.... I was wondering why I was going through so much oil between changes. Goodbye, Castrol Syntec!

to those that have found solution to this problem, can you tell us what brand and viscosity you have used to solve the issue?

this seem to be help at least a few member here.

oil is oil. you change it every couple months... try changing until you find the one you like.

I use penzoil 10w40. But my engine is so dirty I really need to change it like ever 500 miles. But it doesn't start burning it untill around 2k miles. After that I get blue smoke on cold starts or if it sits for more than 12 to 16 hours

the reason i change to synthetic was because it offer longer interval, protection and higher mpg, i did get 2 more mpg with it.

has anyone tried different viscosity to solve the issue?

+2mpg but factor in the amount of oil you're burning and I doubt it would be much of a savings :p

The correct way to fix it is to rebuild or replace the motor. But if anybody is driving a protege with this many. Miles its an assumption that nobody wants or has the money to do that. On a plus side conventional oil is cheaper than synthetic :)

I was using Syntec 5W30 (as per manufacturer recommendations). I'm switching to either Mobil Super 1000 or some plain old dino Castrol.

The correct way to fix it is to rebuild or replace the motor. But if anybody is driving a protege with this many. Miles its an assumption that nobody wants or has the money to do that. On a plus side conventional oil is cheaper than synthetic :)

i think you are forgetting that am not burning with conventional oil. the engine compression is fine. if i had to replace the engine to fix the problem, than conventional oil would be a better solution

oil is oil. you change it every couple months... try changing until you find the one you like.

yes i could do that, but ONE of the point of a forum is to be able to help members save time and money. to find what other have tried....

if we all did that the forum would be half dead.

Back