Spool Turbo MP3 Blew Up

I'd like to see one bit of proof that they help. Just being skeptic. I'm not saying they might not gain you a little, but if you want 12 hp, run another psi of boost. I would love to see any before and after dyno info though. Stick with stock, as any of the "big" hp Protege's out right now have all done so stock, so why bother, save the cash.

Little Beavis said:
I'd like to see one bit of proof that they help. Just being skeptic. I'm not saying they might not gain you a little, but if you want 12 hp, run another psi of boost. I would love to see any before and after dyno info though. Stick with stock, as any of the "big" hp Protege's out right now have all done so stock, so why bother, save the cash.
Cam profiles on the all motor cams are of no help to turbo app. You need profiles that are turbo specific. If you want custom grind some, that should be good for 15-20whp

Little Beavis said:
Ahh the beauty of boost... want more hp... turn up the pressure.. (well almost that simple!).

Dana has one of the cams, I don't know if he had any thoughts on it... but yeah there isn't much data or anything on the japanese sport 20 cams that has been shown in dyno sheets has there?

I had just been under the impression that cams were the next in line behind a header for good gains... at least in the NA world. (which obviously based on the other posts doesn't translate to the darkside well.. unless specifically made for the darkside.)

Last edited:
I wouldnt do them. I would rather get adjustable cam gears, this way you can move the powerband and adjust torque.

You can get better HP with higher lift cams and with that you *may* need custom valve springs depending on the lift and rpms.

Longer duration cams may cause overlap which I think is bad for turbo.

well I believe that answers that..

(goes to wish list of rebuild... crosses off cams from research and want list... moves on)....

CONEH8R said:
I think you should just use octane booster...

Soooooooooo kidding...
I've also heard GREAT things about those awesome Resistor chip mods from EBay. I mean any product you can get for 99 cents - 20 bucks and can get you 25-30whp is the s***!

/threadjacks

yo coneh8r, thanks for lettin me ride along on your autox run. that was a crazy course, let me know if you hear of a track course coming up like the michigan one, that sounded awesome.

/unthreadjacks

Well, lets put it this way: @ 13psi pre-intake cam, all was well. @ 13psi POST intake cam, I'd hit the MAF limit, and my AFRs were much leaner across the board.

dosle said:
/threadjacks

yo coneh8r, thanks for lettin me ride along on your autox run. that was a crazy course, let me know if you hear of a track course coming up like the michigan one, that sounded awesome.

/unthreadjacks

No problem, hope you had fun. Chris didn't beat me, but he was on my tail, I drove like crap all day anyways. Oh well... I've raced better courses, but it was still a decent time.

TurfBurn said:
I've also heard GREAT things about those awesome Resistor chip mods from EBay. I mean any product you can get for 99 cents - 20 bucks and can get you 25-30whp is the s***!

(boom05) oh... guess i should get a refund for that...

Kooldino said:
Well, lets put it this way: @ 13psi pre-intake cam, all was well. @ 13psi POST intake cam, I'd hit the MAF limit, and my AFRs were much leaner across the board.
And that was the only change you made at that time? If that's the case then I guess that shows a fair amount more air making it in which is a good thing... but I don't know enough about cams to know if there would be other things that could be up, or if you could get overlap that would be detrimental based on what igradsil was saying.

Well, I did a few things...but the intake cam and slight port of the intake mani were the only intake changes at the time.

I dont know the specs....it it has a bit of overlap on the timing...a cam gear will be beneficial along with it...

I mean...if its longer duration...you can take the intake and open it sooner (advance) it will close sooner but as being longer duration, it will close near as stock closing so overlap will not exist.

This is just me making some thoughts....

igdrasil said:
I dont know the specs....it it has a bit of overlap on the timing...a cam gear will be beneficial along with it...

I mean...if its longer duration...you can take the intake and open it sooner (advance) it will close sooner but as being longer duration, it will close near as stock closing so overlap will not exist.

This is just me making some thoughts....
More valve lift on the intake and a very little more duration on the exhaust valve would help, maybe. I would just save all the money that would be spent for camshafts and get the best intercooler I can. I do not care what kind of camshafts you get. You will always make more power with boost then anything.

The intake camshaft did not help Dana much. His lowend torque is not that great. Boost Boost and more boost. Thats the best way to build torque and hp.

Thanks again

Later...........Nick

Yeah, not that great. I only had 270 or so ft/lbs at the wheels. That was with one hour of tuning.

My mistake, 260 something. This pull was in 4th gear. 4th gear pulls tend to show more torque on the dyno we were on.

I hadn't gotten a chance to tune the car since the install of the intake cam, but for an hour before the dyno.

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 117
Kooldino said:
My mistake, 260 something. This pull was in 4th gear. 4th gear pulls tend to show more torque on the dyno we were on.

I hadn't gotten a chance to tune the car since the install of the intake cam, but for an hour before the dyno.

How come the power curve is so choppy?? It seems it staggers up and down a lot after 5k.

Back