Speed World Challenge

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
92 & 16 Meyatas
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=490 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=black_11 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 2px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=grey_10 style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">SCCA/ Mark Weber</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=490 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=storyHeadline>Pobst Owns Speed World Challenge</TD></TR><TR><TD class=red_18_b>Veteran racer rules Touring Car and GT classes</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE>
aw_spacer.gif

<TBODY></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=490 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>By STEVEN COLE SMITH
aw_spacer.gif

AutoWeek | Published 07/12/07, 4:56 pm et</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
It takes only one name to tell you who leads the SCCA Speed World Challenge GT and Touring Car series points: Randy Pobst. The Georgia-based veteran drives the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Mazda 6 in the Touring Car class and the K-Pax Racing Porsche 911 GT3 in GT. Six races in, Pobst leads the GT standings with 180 points, Andy Pilgrim is second with 171, and 2006 champion Lawson Aschenbach is third with 155. Pilgrim and Aschenbach drive Cadillac CTS-Vs. Pobst and Chevrolet Corvette driver Eric Curran have two wins apiece, and Pilgrim and Dodge Viper driver Tommy Archer have one each.

In Touring Car, Pobst and his Mazda have 198 points, Mazda teammate Jeff Altenburg is second with 181, and 2006 series champion Pierre Kleinubing is third with 146 in his Acura TSX. Pobst won a Watkins Glen double-header, while teammate Altenburg has two wins, and Acura driver Peter Cunningham and Audi driver Chip Herr have one each.

In the manufacturers points, Cadillac leads Porsche by six points in the GT class, while Mazda leads Acura by 15 points in the Touring series.

Only four Speed World Challenge races remain: Mid-Ohio, Mosport, Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta and the season finale at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

Good to see people following the series.

I figured I'd use this thread to pose a question: how much longer does WC have before it fizzles out in its current state? It appears the touring cars will be carrying the series next year but will it be enough? Speed has done their best to keep the fan base small and the SCCA is doing their part on the team side of things.

Will Grand Am make a sprint series to accomodate WC teams who don't want to go enduro racing?

Good to see people following the series.

I figured I'd use this thread to pose a question: how much longer does WC have before it fizzles out in its current state? It appears the touring cars will be carrying the series next year but will it be enough? Speed has done their best to keep the fan base small and the SCCA is doing their part on the team side of things.

Will Grand Am make a sprint series to accomodate WC teams who don't want to go enduro racing?

I agree after talking to Lou on Sunday morning, things look bleak at best, if he leaves, Archer, McCann, Whelen, GT will suck big time!That pulley deal was BS! With Woodhouse running the Viper in GT2 in ALMS, it is only logical that some of the above mentioned names follow the Woodhouse lead and go to a series that has growth potential.

Sad that the SWC is screwing the fans, Lou is a helluva of a gu
y and has always allowed me access to his paddock and makes time for me whenever he sees me.

I didn't know you guys stopped by!! Lou is not the only driver looking for other options and its sad to see because I've been a huge WC fan for years, but the team owners and drivers are beyond frustrated with the current state of the series.

wellll, it was fun while it lasted. Anyone interested in joining me in seeing a bunch of front running Touring Cars tri-podding at turn 6 @ RA? I'll be there @ the Petit. The SWC cars were by far the most fun support series to watch last year, and I'm sure they won't disappoint this year (they haven't so far).

Now another wake up call at 8am by a group of Panoz school cars with a bunch of big ol' american thunder under the hood on Friday would be fun too. I wish I could wake up to that every day! lol

Back