Slight metalic rattle when accelerating under load

Hi all,
My 2012 Sport Manual has this same metallic knocking noise when I engage the clutch a little abruptly, or engine brake in a low gear. Engine mount maybe?

Interesting...but strange at same time.What we have common? Mine is 2.0L iStop DISI ( europe version ).I Think you have a 2.5 L right? Engine is different, transmission too.I Have a 6 manual gear...

Mine is a 2008 auto with a 2.5L. I am taking it in to a guy who knows this engine and I hope he can help me. It does not seem that this noise has caused any power loss in the engine but it cant be good.

I will post what I find. (sick)

Mine is a 2008 auto with a 2.5L. I am taking it in to a guy who knows this engine and I hope he can help me. It does not seem that this noise has caused any power loss in the engine but it cant be good.

I will post what I find. (sick)

Here we go...I was able to determine nothing new really(bang) Except, it might be the secondary (first/small) catalytic converter that is located near the firewall. Stopped by the dealer and they were stumped also. I guess I will drive it until I get a dash light or I can go out and pinpoint the noise area.

I am able to duplicate the rattle while driving and parked...but can't pinpoint it!(bang) You can only hear it in the car...(naughty)

Last edited:
I've been meaning to post. I had a rattle everytime i put her in gear and at low rpms, like when first driving off. I changed the motor mount and swapped in 3qts of fresh tranny fluid and its gone. Cant tell you which fixed it as i did them at the same time.

I've been meaning to post. I had a rattle everytime i put her in gear and at low rpms, like when first driving off. I changed the motor mount and swapped in 3qts of fresh tranny fluid and its gone. Cant tell you which fixed it as i did them at the same time.

Did you change the no.3 motor mount? Also, was your tranny fluid low? Anyway, I will try the tranny fix. I've had the motor mounts replaced.

I swear this morning the sound was in the cab of the car with me...man, this is a tough one! (confused)

I'm beginning to think the sound is normal. I've had it since day one (42K miles) and now at 89K, it still does it. Doesn't effect anything, I think, so I'll live with it.

Did you change the no.3 motor mount? Also, was your tranny fluid low? Anyway, I will try the tranny fix. I've had the motor mounts replaced.

I swear this morning the sound was in the cab of the car with me...man, this is a tough one! (confused)

No. 3 being the passenger side. And my fluid wasn't at all low, just old. I still plan on doing a flush and fill this summer. But my sound is gone. Mine was loud (in the garage) and started the moment it put it in gear. Now with that sound gone i'm hunting down a vacuum groan i didn't hear before lol

Flush and fill is a mixture of two different methods.

You can do a flush with a fluid exchange machine or a drain and fill, the former replacing all fluid while the latter only about 1/3rd.

true. I'm unplugging the coolant line etc.....full replacement.

When you do, I can't recommend Amsoil ATF more. It lists the Mazda spec specifically, and a 2.5gallon jug is the perfect size for a flush. I changed to it on my 2006 Mazda6 previously and loved the results, and this past weekend my girlfriend's 2010 3 was switched over to it and even she noticed how much smoother it was. She was at 60k miles and is not exactly gentle with the gas from stoplights. The car seems to idle smoother somehow and shifts are much less noticeable even though the manual mode seems snappier.

If you don't have a favorite shop, call around and see what labor-only on the fluid exchange with the machine is at a few different places. You might surprise yourself on how little some shops charge.

Last edited:
I'm actually an Amsoil dealer so i use it exclusively in my bikes and cars. i've used their products forever.

I (mostly) enjoy working on my cars. None of my wheels has seen a shop in about two decades. I just don't trust anyone to be as thorough or caring as i am.

Disclaimer: Moderators, I'm not AT ALL looking to setup shop here. Most forums require paying a monthly and i only make about $3 YEAR in commission. I don't try very hard! lol And I'm not sure I really want to. I mainly became a dealer for the discount and to help my friends save money. (drinks)

I'm actually an Amsoil dealer so i use it exclusively in my bikes and cars. i've used their products forever.

I (mostly) enjoy working on my cars. None of my wheels has seen a shop in about two decades. I just don't trust anyone to be as thorough or caring as i am.

Disclaimer: Moderators, I'm not AT ALL looking to setup shop here. Most forums require paying a monthly and i only make about $3 YEAR in commission. I don't try very hard! lol And I'm not sure I really want to. I mainly became a dealer for the discount and to help my friends save money. (drinks)

Full Disclosure: I'm a dealer too, but only after being a customer for years and having nothing but great experience with their products. And a forum isn't really a good place to be a sponsor unless you just want traffic to a website, otherwise they don't really cater to personalized service. So i recommend when applicable and when i've had 1st hand experience, but keep quiet when I don't.

Full Disclosure: I'm a dealer too, but only after being a customer for years and having nothing but great experience with their products. And a forum isn't really a good place to be a sponsor unless you just want traffic to a website, otherwise they don't really cater to personalized service. So i recommend when applicable and when i've had 1st hand experience, but keep quiet when I don't.

Agreed. Let's never speak of it again (peep)

So back on topic. The only reason i didn't go full flush is because i only ordered 5 qts which ran me a lil under $60 (Signature Series). The video i watched, of course after i received my order, recommended TWELVE qts for a full flush. So i just noted the fluid level, drained the pan, and refilled to the same level. Turned out to be exactly 3 qts. Does 12 qts sound like a reasonable amount?

Agreed. Let's never speak of it again (peep)

So back on topic. The only reason i didn't go full flush is because i only ordered 5 qts which ran me a lil under $60 (Signature Series). The video i watched, of course after i received my order, recommended TWELVE qts for a full flush. So i just noted the fluid level, drained the pan, and refilled to the same level. Turned out to be exactly 3 qts. Does 12 qts sound like a reasonable amount?

If you keep doing drain and fill, yeh. If you do flush, I believe it is in the area of 8-9.

Posting that you're delaying repair isn't a good idea, nor is waiting.

They should give you a loaner!

Posting that you're delaying repair isn't a good idea, nor is waiting.

They should give you a loaner!

Is that better? I am so tired of cars that are not Hondas, falling apart after the 3 year 36 k mile warranty, thank god I have extra warranty! I should have bought a honda!

Since when is a noise automatically a catastrophic symptom of engine failure? All these people on this board still could not figure it out. I paid $2k for that warranty and it covers me so I don't give a crap what happens to the car as long as it was not caused by me the have to cover it! Just like they had to fix both sliding doors and rear shocks. My wife's civic is 7 years and runs like day 1. It's sad to have rattles on a 3.5 year old car.

Since when is a noise automatically a catastrophic symptom of engine failure? All these people on this board still could not figure it out. I paid $2k for that warranty and it covers me so I don't give a crap what happens to the car as long as it was not caused by me the have to cover it! Just like they had to fix both sliding doors and rear shocks. My wife's civic is 7 years and runs like day 1. It's sad to have rattles on a 3.5 year old car.

If you heard an abnormal noise and didn't take the car in for repair upon hearing such noise, they can say it was neglect and not cover the repair.

Or they may not, it's your risk, weigh them accordingly.

Back