Slight metalic rattle when accelerating under load

I just replaced my tensioner with a new Gates unit tonight. I haven't driven it yet but I like the metal pulley vs. the plastic unit from Dayco. I had replaced the pulley itself at 75k miles with the Dayco. I probably could have gone with just a pulley replacement and bought the Gates pulley but I have 145k on the Mazda5 now. The last thing I need is to be out of town and have the van get overheated due to throwing the belt.

Ironically the black oil cooler on our van blew it's seal in spectacular fashion while on the ramps. I'm off to buy the silver replacement unit tomorrow at the stealership. Once it's back together I'll report back if the new tensioner fixed the sound.

Just to be clear, it's they big tensioner that is right on top left side of the engine towards the front. You have to replace the whole thing. The part costs between $150-200 depending who makes it. The reason it makes noise is because the bearing becomes toast and it rattles at certain speeds that's all. Almost like an old computer fan before it speeds up. Problem solved...

It's called belt tensioner, v. The part # is LF50-15-980B. Now this is for automatic. Manual is different part #. Good luck everyone...

Yes. My Gates unit was $75 on Amazon and works great. I have only driven it 25 miles so far and the noise hasn't returned but I'll hold off on saying it's gone.

While we have it all apart, might as well get the tensioner while we're at it, no?

Hey Markus, I keep glancing at your posts and going "When the hell did i write this?!" Then i realize the avatar is facing a diff direction :)

Last edited:
While we have it all apart, might as well get the tensioner while we're at it, no?

Hey Markus, I keep glancing at your posts and going "When the hell did i write this?!" Then i realize the avatar is facing a diff direction :)

Happened to me too lol

The tensioner didn't work for me. I'm thinking it might be the VVT actuator dying. I really hope not and will continue looking but this might end up being a very expensive fix.

I'm normally not all about bumping 8 month old threads but I thought I would add the story of my rattle here

Only happened when cold and only around the 2k RPM mark. Seemed to be coming from the glove box was my thought. I did some digging on my lunch break and noticed when I punched down on the passenger seat it made the noise. Took a look under the front of the seat and it appears that the retainer clip holding the silver piece was loose. I may add some cardboard between the seat and the metal part if it comes back but hopefully this helps someone else

20141118_123721.jpg

Back