Slight metalic rattle when accelerating under load

So few weeks ago the dealer kept my 2010 Mazda5 for almost 2 weeks and finally fixed the door latches on both sliding doors. I have an extended warranty but the repair would have been close to $2000. Then now at around 42400 miles I started having the metallic rattle noise when I am going about 40 mph and just giving it light throttle. It sound really strange like some metal thing is vibrating. I thought it was the passenger side upper mount because you can feel the grease under the rubber, the mount is not flat on the top where the rubber is. I dropped it off at dealer this AM, and they said that the mount is solid but cannot find out what the noise is just yet so they have to keep the car. They gave me the stupid V6 Mazda 6 loaner that guzzles again. I wonder what it really is. It seems as it's coming from the top right side in the engine compartment. Some people say it's engine mount, others say it's the plastinc shield, but nobody knows for sure. Well all I know is if they can't fix the noise they can buy my car back and I will buy something else. Mazda is about to go into the black book of crappy cars that I owned in my life. My wife's 7 year old civic drives like it came out of the showroom, and my van sounds like a beatup diesel tractor, or a work truck filled with a bunch of tools. Really pissed of now.

sorry to hear the frustration bud. I come from a long line of VWs...I know the feeling. But both of my Mazdas have been relatively good to me so far. I had the rattle. I swapped the motor mount and added a few quarts of fresh tranny fluid and it went away. Don't know which helped as i did them at the same time but give your service dept a heads up. Good luck.

That's pretty strange

sorry to hear the frustration bud. I come from a long line of VWs...I know the feeling. But both of my Mazdas have been relatively good to me so far. I had the rattle. I swapped the motor mount and added a few quarts of fresh tranny fluid and it went away. Don't know which helped as i did them at the same time but give your service dept a heads up. Good luck.

Well I had a flush done by that dealer @ 36000 miles so it's not that. Also, they said the motor mount is solid, but they will check the other ones on monday. I am just frustrated because my wife's 2007 American-made Civic that she bought brand new is flawless, and the Hiroshima made Mazda5 has all this crap happening. So much for Japanese cars being better. I used to own a Taurus years ago which was really nice, and thought if I bought a Mazda (which used some Ford parts at the time, my dipstick and many more), that it will be the best of both worlds. Apparently not.

Belt tensioner is loose

Mazda dealer emailed me and said it's the belt tensioner and they will replace it when the part comes in tomorrow. That's what was making the noise. I wonder if it's the constant use of AC pump with the auto climate that breaks it. I will stop using auto climate maybe...

I hate auto climate, and I also hate that defrost runs the AC no mater what.

Even worse, setting vent to feet on my manual hvac runs the AC.

Drives me insane. I want to rig up an override somehow to turn off the compressor.

Thanks, i agree man, I wish you could just set it to auto without the stupid green ac button lighting up and then having to shut it off. I hate that. Will see what else will fail on this cheap Jap car.

I hate auto climate, and I also hate that defrost runs the AC no mater what.

Even worse, setting vent to feet on my manual hvac runs the AC.

Drives me insane. I want to rig up an override somehow to turn off the compressor.

It's always been my understanding that running the a/c compressor for a few minutes each week is important to keep the seals lubricated. Maybe that's a wives' tale, but the auto climate system takes care of it if it's true. My only complaint is the musty smell I get on start up.

It's always been my understanding that running the a/c compressor for a few minutes each week is important to keep the seals lubricated. Maybe that's a wives' tale, but the auto climate system takes care of it if it's true. My only complaint is the musty smell I get on start up.

A few minutes vs all the damn time is a big difference.

Musty smell = check the ac drain and get some mazda anti mildew spray or use lysol in the intake to kill it.

try this

If you have the musty smell, it's time to change the cabin air filter. Mine smelled like rotted grapes or spoiled wine until I replaced it. LOL.

<It's always been my understanding that running the a/c compressor for a few minutes each week is important to keep the seals lubricated. Maybe that's a wives' tale, but the auto climate system takes care of it if it's true. My only complaint is the musty smell I get on start up.>

I wonder how true that as, it might keep the seals lubricated, but also apparently kills the belt tensioner, so pick your repair...

I wonder how true that as, it might keep the seals lubricated, but also apparently kills the belt tensioner, so pick your repair...

Musty smell = check the ac drain and get some mazda anti mildew spray or use lysol in the intake to kill it.

I'll give that a try. Not sure how mold developed during a very cold, dry winter though!

If you have the musty smell, it's time to change the cabin air filter. Mine smelled like rotted grapes or spoiled wine until I replaced it. LOL.

Car is 2 years old, so cabin air filter probably should be changed. Looks like a fun job!

Mazda dealer emailed me and said it's the belt tensioner and they will replace it when the part comes in tomorrow. That's what was making the noise. I wonder if it's the constant use of AC pump with the auto climate that breaks it. I will stop using auto climate maybe...

That is good news to hear that the noise is the belt tensioner...I look forward to learning if that solves the problem. If so, I'm on my way in right after you.

There's hope! Let us know if the ticking actually stops.

Don't be so hard on the girl. I've owned 'merican, jap, german, Korean...each one a pain in the ass in it's own way. My buddies civic has been a real pain in the ass. I stopped caring and just drive nowadays.

I'll give that a try. Not sure how mold developed during a very cold, dry winter though!

Car is 2 years old, so cabin air filter probably should be changed. Looks like a fun job!

I have the replacement cabin filters 2 weeks ago. The shop manual (both sources) zoom in so close that I can't tell AT ALL where they're referring to. Share please if you find them. :)

I learned that from a dedicated AC forum when I was reading up on repairing a R12 system. I was also given this advice from gear head Miata owners. All systems, be it R12, 134a, is essentially made up of the freon + oils <- the lub. Lubing it is independent of the musty smell, which is mildew growth inside of the system. Let the system recirc as much as you can. I've used Lysol in my previous car and it is only a temporary (short) solution. Luckily my mz5 does not have this problem but my Fit stinks -bad! I purchased a bottle of einszett 961105 Klima Cleaner Professional - 8.5 oz. and will apply it to the Fit sometime this week. Comes with a long hose that you insert into the vents to kill the source. Hoping for better long term results. As comment above, make sure the drain hose is not clogged (it does get clogged).

^ duh youtube lol Shop manuals don't go into ANY of that. Thanks!

/hijack

And if you're running the AC like smiley said, it should be on recirculate unless you farted.

Don't run the ac with the windows down.

Essentially, treat it like a home's AC unit, use yer head!

Also before parking the car, if you run the fan on high with the AC off it can help to dry the condenser and prevent mold growth.

That is good news to hear that the noise is the belt tensioner...I look forward to learning if that solves the problem. If so, I'm on my way in right after you.

Yes it solved the problem. The loose bearing inside was chirping and making the rattle. Change it and it wil be gone...

Back