Slight metalic rattle when accelerating under load

Turns out it was the plastic shield under the engine/trans. The dealer hadn't tightened half the bolts and it was just buzzing around.

I have a 2008 Maz5 Sport, 57k miles, AT, that has a rattle that occurs especially when on a slight grade and accelerating slightly, although it can occur when on a flat grade. This has started to happen more often. I have looked for something loose, but have not found anything that is loose.

It stops rattling if you put into neutral...no matter what speed.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Maz5 Sport, 57k miles, AT, that has a rattle that occurs especially when on a slight grade and accelerating slightly, although it can occur when on a flat grade. This has started to happen more often. I have looked for something loose, but have not found anything that is loose.

It stops rattling if you put into neutral...no matter what speed.
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Mine still does this. Figured it was the splash shield but it wasn't. Seems to happen more when the temps drop. I'm baffled.

If it's only on a grade, I would suggest to be preventive and flush the transmission. At. 36,000 ever time I was around 40 mph let go off gas and reapply gas I would feel like a slight engagement thump. I flushed the tranny at dealer, and that went away. It could be really you need new fluid. Have you flushed or drained yet at all?

If it's only on a grade, I would suggest to be preventive and flush the transmission. At. 36,000 ever time I was around 40 mph let go off gas and reapply gas I would feel like a slight engagement thump. I flushed the tranny at dealer, and that went away. It could be really you need new fluid. Have you flushed or drained yet at all?

I have checked the transmission and the motor mounts...thanks for the suggestions!

I did find a heat shield adjacent next to the fire wall that protects the brake lines(?) that I was able to make it simulate the vibration sound somewhat. I placed some duct tape on it trying to change its tendency to vibrate. I told my wife to listen for the noise...we will see if she hears it again. i will let you know.

(peep)
I have checked the transmission and the motor mounts...thanks for the suggestions!

I did find a heat shield adjacent next to the fire wall that protects the brake lines(?) that I was able to make it simulate the vibration sound somewhat. I placed some duct tape on it trying to change its tendency to vibrate. I told my wife to listen for the noise...we will see if she hears it again. i will let you know.

WELL...that was a FAIL!(yupnope)(yupnope) Gonna keep peeping around for something.

If Momma keeps yowling about it I gotta do something soon. It is wearing me out.(toilet)

Anyway, Merry Christmas!(birthday)

Do you notice if the rattle happen during certain revs?

Try this. In an open lot, lock the handbrakes. Slowly accelerate to see if you hear the rattle. It could be anything but sounds like it only happens when the drivetrain is under load. Without knowing any background, my guess is potentially any one of the heat shield welds wearing/breaking. I've had this occur on two previous cars. If it is, rip it and forget it :D

Do you notice if the rattle happen during certain revs?

Try this. In an open lot, lock the handbrakes. Slowly accelerate to see if you hear the rattle. It could be anything but sounds like it only happens when the drivetrain is under load. Without knowing any background, my guess is potentially any one of the heat shield welds wearing/breaking. I've had this occur on two previous cars. If it is, rip it and forget it :D

I will try this soon...there is a big parking lot near me to work with. The biggest issue will be to pin point the rattle.
I will jack up the car and shake these item after the test and see if I can pin-point this rascal.

I will try this soon...there is a big parking lot near me to work with. The biggest issue will be to pin point the rattle.
I will jack up the car and shake these item after the test and see if I can pin-point this rascal.

Just drove my fathers 2008 Mazda5 and it does the same thing under the same conditions. It is engine load related, and could almost be mistaken for being "pinging". However to my ear it sounds a bit more external to the engine than pinging. I am leaning towards the shield on the A/C compressor, or perhaps some exhaust shields...

Just drove my fathers 2008 Mazda5 and it does the same thing under the same conditions. It is engine load related, and could almost be mistaken for being "pinging". However to my ear it sounds a bit more external to the engine than pinging. I am leaning towards the shield on the A/C compressor, or perhaps some exhaust shields...

I have tracked down every rattle I could find...heat shields, front plastic shield, even the fan housing rattled against the radiator...it is now pretty quiet and I can clearly hear the slight metallic rattle in the engine bay. I looked at the idle pulley bracket as a source...hey I'm reaching now.

It sounds as if it is right in the engine bay right against the firewall. I am wondering if it is the gasoline and the engine pinging...I know this is not suppose to matter. I am also thinking of using an internal engine cleaner like Auto-RX or SeaFoam. Recently, the car is only driven short distances and I was thinking there might be carbon buildup...I'm reaching again.

Also, I am going to change to 100% gasoline and see how that works. (ughdance)

Clock is ticking for me (the car started it...haha!) and i've got to get this resolved because I am concern that it may lead to other issues and I will get caught out rebuilding an engine.(shocked)

Last edited:
It could just be the chain tensioner doing its job, or a part of the trans you can hear before it kicks down a gear. See if holding a gear longer helps or if downshifting earlier helps.

It could just be the chain tensioner doing its job, or a part of the trans you can hear before it kicks down a gear. See if holding a gear longer helps or if downshifting earlier helps.

I am going to have to look-up how to determine if a chain tensioner is making the rattling sounds.

My problem I have with my rattling sound is that it can only be heard while the car is moving with the widows up. Today i was able to reproduce the rattle...I place the front wheels against the curb and place the car in drive, while holding the brakes, and slowly increasing the RPM. It worked to reproduce the rattle...but, if you raise the hood and listen the sound cannot be heard in the car or under the hood. I did see the drive belt tensioner jumps around alot...http://s624.photobucket.com/user/Karawcar/media/2008 Mazda 5/IMG_3847_zpsdc74cd6a.mp4.html

The beat (rattle) goes on!

Last edited:
Same here! i think about chain or chain tensioner too,not belt tensioner.Or just problem about chain extended and now chain tensioner is not enough...Like problem with BMW-Peugeot -Mini-Citron 1.6L THP engine.

My wife's van has this same rattle. It drives me crazy. I'm probably going to tear into it this week. It's on the firewall somewhere. It could be behind the radio but I'm going to start by taking apart the cowl.

My wife's van has this same rattle. It drives me crazy. I'm probably going to tear into it this week. It's on the firewall somewhere. It could be behind the radio but I'm going to start by taking apart the cowl.

you are the man...please let me know what you find.(headbang)

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the timing chain or transmission...I can make the rattle occur when I place it in gear (reverse or drive) and hold the brakes (put wheel against a curb) and rev the engine and release...then repeat.(help)

If I do this right I can make the rattle extend indefinitely...I got a problem(toetap)

Last edited:
Interesting...but strange at same time.What we have common? Mine is 2.0L iStop DISI ( europe version ).I Think you have a 2.5 L right? Engine is different, transmission too.I Have a 6 manual gear...

Back