README: Stock MSP Stereo Warranty / Issues / Upgrades

I bought a 2003.5 at auction on the third time through. The first time it had the stock face plate and it worked fine. Rotated turned on and played well. When I bought it somebody stole the face plate. I bought a used one off of eBay and put it on. No power. No lights nothing. It rotated to the power off position (half way) after about 20 seconds and thats it. If I pull it off it rotates back to the face plate insertion side, not the back plate. I inserted a CD and it was accepted, pulled in, but thats all.

Now I have read about the ribbon deal but I know it worked before (before stolen face plate) which was last week.

How can I figure out if it is a defective face plate or a damaged ribbon? Can I take to a car stereo place for a quick check? Does the fuse in the back oif the unit trip? The car audio/radio fuse checked out OK.

I really want the stock unit to work. I am in Dallas if anyone close can swap the face plate to see if its that.

mine was doing that last weekend for the first time ever, and it was when I took my faceplate off and had turned the car back on to put the plate back on, or something like that, but anyways it kept opening up and then going to the halfway position, and I couldn't get my cd out, and it wouldn't read, but anyways I just reset everything by disconnecting the battery for a few sec, made sure the faceplate was on there when the battery was reconnected, and it worked fine after that

Alright, so i've got the crap stocker. For a few weeks this spring, it was operating (i.e. playing music), but although the backlight was on, no characters were lighting up on the display. Now, for the last few months it's been stuck in the halfway position. When I remove the faceplate it rotates to the "on" position; when I disconnect the battery or unplug and reattach the stereo harness, then start the car, it goes to closed, then open, and the ring around the volume knob lights for about 3 seconds, then it turns off and rotates to halfway again.

Does this sound like a ribbon cable issue?

^ Sounds like it to me. Mine just did the same thing and I just put the new cable in and everything works great.

I didnt find this information anywhere before so ill just post it, sorry if its already posted.

Stock front speakers : Kenwood KFC-X688c 220watt peak, 55watt rms. 4ohm 6"x8"

i just added a post today about figuring my wiring harness to a sony deck cause my kenwood deck got stolen anyone that could help i would greatly apriciate it. tryin to spend any money considering i have no job at the time being so if i can get away with hooking this sony up for now that would be great.

hu

still havent had any luck with hooking up a substitute hu till i can get another kenwood put in any help please let me know.

hey guys so i just picked up my msp and the radio works fine with a cd and ipod but the tuner has noooooo reception!! what could this be.. the wire is hooked up to the rear window antennae so idk what it could be.. the head unit has kdc-mp238.

If it's the stock setup then i believe it's four bolts to remove the assembly minus the brackets and just unplug the connector near the driver side rear passenger seat in the trunk.

Just a quick question:
if I am installing a new subwoofer and enclosure, but still using the stock Kenwood amp, can I reuse all of the wires from the stock 8" to power the new sub?

How do I take the rear sub out? I mean out of the plastic casing that its in? I have it out of the car on my work bench and have takin all the screws out....but the plastic is glued down or what?

I just bought a used Kenwood MP919 and tried to install it into my MSP and nothing is happening. I thought it would be easier since it'll be plug and play. The deck came closed in the "hidden" mode and even when I press the top left corner after everything was plugged in nothing happens. Does this sound like the ribbon cable problem? Thanks in advance!

yup, I bought one from someone on here too for my dads car since I had a kenwood serious sat. connection thing that he wanted and it worked for about a day.. I now have 4 radios (1 from my old msp, 1 from my new msp and the one I bought for my dad's car, and my brother's msp's radio just crapped out) sitting in the basement all with ribbon problems, want to try to get a replacement ribbon at least for my brother's radio sometime soon, and eventually the other ones and probably sell some.. I just went aftermarket finally though, got tired of the problems, the one that I had in my msp was a replaced one brand new from my old msp under warranty. .only last 2 years but didn't even drive the car in the winter, so really just 1 year if that of actual use.

Edit: also just to make sure it is completely dead, try disconnecting the battery and bumping the break to reset everything in the car, that worked a few times when mine was acting up, but if that doesn't work then, yes, it's completely dead.

yup, I bought one from someone on here too for my dads car since I had a kenwood serious sat. connection thing that he wanted and it worked for about a day.. I now have 4 radios (1 from my old msp, 1 from my new msp and the one I bought for my dad's car, and my brother's msp's radio just crapped out) sitting in the basement all with ribbon problems, want to try to get a replacement ribbon at least for my brother's radio sometime soon, and eventually the other ones and probably sell some.. I just went aftermarket finally though, got tired of the problems, the one that I had in my msp was a replaced one brand new from my old msp under warranty. .only last 2 years but didn't even drive the car in the winter, so really just 1 year if that of actual use.

Edit: also just to make sure it is completely dead, try disconnecting the battery and bumping the break to reset everything in the car, that worked a few times when mine was acting up, but if that doesn't work then, yes, it's completely dead.

Thanks for the reply! Is it worth it trying to get the same Kenwood deck to replace even though it's cheaper? or should I go try another aftermarket stereo? Any other stereo brands I can plug and play without changing out the harness?

Back