Ordering a CX-5

Build Date (just says "Date") is Jan 2019
I ordered the car on Feb 22.
-They quoted a mid-May delivery.
I took delivery on March 18.
-They had the car for at least a few days to install the options (rails, splash guards, hitch, rear bumper protector, cargo cover.)

Ok, so ordering basically got you port installed options, right? I wish we would been more patient and done that. Are all your options listed on your window sticker? That would confirm port installed.

Ok, so ordering basically got you port installed options, right? I wish we would been more patient and done that. Are all your options listed on your window sticker? That would confirm port installed.

No, the options were not port installed.

I factory-ordered to (a) get the color I wanted, (b) to get the options installed at $0 labor, and (c) to get a car that had single-digit miles on it. This dealer has the location in Charlottesville VA that I dealt with, and two more in North Carolina. They shuttle cars between the 3 showrooms. I wanted to break my brand-new car in myself, not have 300 highway miles on it already at someone else's hand.

So a couple of weeks after I factory-ordered the car, the dealer called and said that they already had a Reserve in my color in the pipeline, if I was OK with them installing the options (at $0 labor) rather than waiting 2 months for "my car" to come from the factory and having the options installed at the port and then delivered to the dealer. This way, they could sell a car they already had coming, and I accelerated delivery/they accelerated a sale by a couple of months. I said "Yes."

I edited my previous comment to try to make this a little clearer.

I technically did not get the specific car I factory ordered...I took delivery on one that had already been in transit (and had less than 10 miles on the odometer.) Again, I don't know at what point it was in transit when they took my order, or why they did not mention this when I placed my order.

Last edited:
Better to just hunt inventories of local Mazda dealers until you find the exact VIN you want and pounce! That's what I did.

"Local Mazda dealers" for me means the guy 25 miles away (who currently has 3 Reserves on hand) and the guy 45 miles away (who currently has 4 Reserves on hand) or a guy nearly 100 miles away.

I'm probably missing something, but even if local inventory were deeper, what would I gain by waiting until something I want maybe show up versus ordering it from the factory and knowing I can get what I want and get it now with the options I want installed at $0 labor. I'm not sure I see an upside.

Last edited:
"Local Mazda dealers" for me means the guy 25 miles away (who currently has 3 Reserves on hand) and the guy 45 miles away (who currently has 4 Reserves on hand) or a guy nearly 100 miles away.

I'm probably missing something, but even if local inventory were deeper, what would I gain by waiting until something I want maybe show up versus ordering it from the factory and knowing I can get what I want and get it now with the options I want installed at $0 labor. I'm not sure I see an upside.

If you have the time to wait, I agree that the best way to go is a factory order (other than the fact that you often squeeze a better deal by taking one off the lot). I have a Jeep lease coming due in 10 months, so I have plenty of time to factory order a 2020.

Btw, I don't see much in the way of incentives and discounts on the CX-5, or Mazda generally. Am I correct, or have I just missed seeing the right timing?

There's always an incentive of some kind. It changes month to month to provide an artificial expiration date for the offers. Sometimes it would be ~500 dollars, sometimes a little more. More recently, they're just offering either 500 to buy or 0.9% APR, or to cover your first month's lease payment.

Last edited:
Btw, I don't see much in the way of incentives and discounts on the CX-5, or Mazda generally. Am I correct, or have I just missed seeing the right timing?

You're not missing anything. There have been conversations here regarding Mazda's lack of promotions to bring customers into the showroom. Right now they're offering your choice of $500 off or 0.9% financing on the CX-5 in my region (except for the diesel, which is $750 off or 2.9% financing).

And I don't hear of folks negotiating anything noteworthy, even at end of model years. When I first went in, the best I could get them to do was throw in a cargo cover. Gotta love them making a $50 concession (their likely cost) on a product costing $35,000 (even though we both know that the price would have to be jacked up in order to jack it back down).

Last edited:
I had them throw in free installation of the hitch. I did that and the first lease payment waiver. Agreed upon value of the vehicle was 25,803.

Last edited:
I had them throw in free installation of the hitch. I did that and the first lease payment waiver. Agreed upon value of the vehicle was 25,803.

Nearly all the ads I see for my local dealer are for lease specials. I don't recall seeing any for discounts or financing offers.

I wonder if the lease deals are set for the long-term (or are perhaps more locally controlled), while purchasing incentives come & go more frequently (so the dealer only paid for a leasing commercial he can get more long-term use out of).

I also wonder if there's more margin in leases than in outright sales, so there's more room to move on things like free accessory installation.

Leases provide manufacturers with a source of vehicles to resell as CPO vehicles. At the Lexus dealer I worked at, most of them were lease returns. The purchase price vs MSRP is still the deciding factor of how much the dealer will make.

Last edited:
That's interesting. When I bought my Cherokee there were giving literally $3,000-6,000 off the MSRP depending on the model. You got a much better buying one off the floor rather than doing a factory order. I guess with Mazda's small incentives there's even less reason not to do a factory order.

I factory ordered mine so that I could get the color I wanted and--as others have said--so I did not get one with 300+ highway miles on it because it was driven from an affiliated dealership. I told them that if the car had more than nominal miles on it, I wouldn't take delivery

When I decided to buy my Mazda almost 2 years ago, I was very specific in what model I wanted, the colour, the options, and accessories.
The dealer I ended up buying from found the right car for me, and had it brought in from out of province.
It was not driven to the dealership. It was trucked in. The car had 2 Kms. on it when I took possession.
I don't think many dealers would be dumb enough to have some flunky drive your car 300 miles to bring it in, and then sell it as brand new.
I also negotiated for the accessories, most of which were added at no cost (tinted windows, spoiler, block heater, all free). I paid cost for side mouldings and mud flaps.

When I decided to buy my Mazda almost 2 years ago, I was very specific in what model I wanted, the colour, the options, and accessories.
The dealer I ended up buying from found the right car for me, and had it brought in from out of province.
It was not driven to the dealership. It was trucked in. The car had 2 Kms. on it when I took possession.
I don't think many dealers would be dumb enough to have some flunky drive your car 300 miles to bring it in, and then sell it as brand new.
I also negotiated for the accessories, most of which were added at no cost (tinted windows, spoiler, block heater, all free). I paid cost for side mouldings and mud flaps.

Yes dealers pay people to go get (dealer trade) and drive back new vehicles all the time from LONG distances in the States.

I agree. If you want a Mazda with specific trim、packages、 and OEM accessories but you cant find one in your local dealer stock, the best way is to place an order. To shorten the wait time, your dealer can search the entire inventory of Mazda North American Operations which definitely is much deeper than any Mazda dealers in the US. You can also add those port-installed OEM accessories if a Mazda havent formally released with a window sticker, or the vehicle (CX-5) is still in transit from Japan to the US. This type of order wont take 3 months like a factory order. Mine took only 23 days.

As for price advantage, you should be able to get good price, sometimes better, even if you order your CX-5. The reason is the Mazda dealer who placed the order for you dont have to pay any costs for a brand-new vehicle sitting in its lot. And you can also include the cost of OEM accessories listed on window sticker into your finance which may be beneficial to some buyers. When OEM accessories are included in the window sticker, those OEM accessories get covered under longer 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty.

Yes dealers pay people to go get (dealer trade) and drive back new vehicles all the time from LONG distances in the States.
Yes, dealers do this all the time, even across the States.

I got two choices if I want my CX-5 GT AWD with Tech sooner from a dealer trade, drive-over or truck-over. Truck-over would cost me $500 extra from another State. I declined of course and placed an order.

Some of the accessories, such as tinted windows、spoiler, or may be block heater、side moldings are not available from Mazda OEM and cant get installed at the port.

I agree. If you want a Mazda with specific trim*packages* and OEM accessories but you can*t find one in your local dealer stock, the best way is to place an order. To shorten the wait time, your dealer can search the entire inventory of Mazda North American Operations which definitely is much deeper than any Mazda dealers in the US. You can also add those port-installed OEM accessories if a Mazda haven*t formally released with a window sticker, or the vehicle (CX-5) is still in transit from Japan to the US. This type of order won*t take 3 months like a *factory* order. Mine took only 23 days.

As for price advantage, you should be able to get good price, sometimes better, even if you order your CX-5. The reason is the Mazda dealer who placed the order for you don*t have to pay any costs for a brand-new vehicle sitting in its lot. And you can also include the cost of OEM accessories listed on window sticker into your finance which may be beneficial to some buyers. When OEM accessories are included in the window sticker, those OEM accessories get covered under longer 3-year / 36K-mile new car warranty.

Aren't all dealer-installed OEM accessories within the 3 year/36K warranty? Don't the dealerships have a way of adding to the vehicle "official" equipment list?

As for price advantage, you should be able to get good price, sometimes better, even if you order your CX-5. The reason is the Mazda dealer who placed the order for you don*t have to pay any costs for a brand-new vehicle sitting in its lot.

I agree that's how it should work. I could not get those guys do do much by the way of concessions. As I said elsewhere, when I was first looking at buying a 2018, the best I could do was get them to throw in a cargo cover. BFD, huh? Maybe they get Floor Planning assistance from Mazda to offset carrying costs.

From reading the comments here, I get the feeling that the Mazda dealers who will negotiate are far rarer than other manufacturers. I was able to do way better when buying my last 2 new vehicles (Chevy and GM trucks).

Early buyers of a new model usually pay more than those who wait out the initial rush. It all depends on how much competition there is for the car you want, AND how much competitive pressure dealers feel, AND how eager they are for a sale.

But there are surely no hard and fast rules that apply in every buying situation, except to get the best deal you can.

For some people, it may not be worth a lot of shopping to save a few bucks. Their time may be worth more doing other things.

I personally didn't negotiate because I didn't feel I had leverage. They only had 1 car on the lot that I wanted and my area doesn't have another dealership that I wanted to try to see if they had the same exact car. So given I didn't want to lose this car and it had almost no mileage on it, I said f-it, take the current $500 off MSRP and don't worry about it, since I'm getting this car for the next 10 years.

Early buyers of a new model usually pay more than those who wait out the initial rush. It all depends on how much competition there is for the car you want, AND how much competitive pressure dealers feel, AND how eager they are for a sale.

But there are surely no hard and fast rules that apply in every buying situation, except to get the best deal you can.

For some people, it may not be worth a lot of shopping to save a few bucks. Their time may be worth more doing other things.

I was negotiating price on a 2018 CX-5 last October and could not get them to budge. I don't see Mazda discounting much at all, either through "Spectacular Deal Days" or at year end. To offer a $500 "incentive" on a $37,000+ car sounds like a bad joke. I don't think they build that kind of stuff into their pricing model.

Of course, it begs the question as to what they do with surplus inventory at year end.

Back