Ordering a CX-5

Theres no point. Other than colors and maybe an option package, there are no factory build options within a trim level. Everything else is a port- or dealer-installed accessory.

You may have to get a dealer to order a vehicle with a particular combination, but its not going to be a customized build.

Not worth the trouble, honestly. What are you trying to get?

Yeah, I'm getting that impression. Maybe the OEM hitch, some other accessories like the wind deflectors, roof rails, etc. In 10 months I will be coming from my second Jeep Cherokee lease (the first, a 2014 Cherokee, was my first domestic vehicle in decades), and while I like the car (not the 2019's), I could not find a Jeep dealer who knew what the f*** they were doing. So I am now distrustful of dealership installs, possibly irrationally...

I had the dealer install the factory hitch on mine as condition for purchase. They did fine, it's fairly straightforward and the tech will have factory instructions. Didn't bother to get the wiring as I'm not towing any trailers, I just use it for accessories. You can get steel bumper guards, bike racks, and cargo carriers. I'd prefer if it was a 2" receiver but it is a light SUV so the 1.25" hitch is understandable and stout enough for the vehicle, rated to pull up to 3,500 pounds for the diesel version.

Last edited:
Here is a list of everything available. You will note items that are installed at the PORT. These would be items ordered by you or dealer. You can also see items DEALER installed. You should be able to locate a CX5 with the rails in dealer inventory. The hitch will probably have to be dealer installed as I have never seen a CX5 on a dealer lot with a hitch. The best way to buy is to go on Mazda site and list what you want and check inventory by zip code. Then contact Internet Manager for out the door price. We have 2019 Eternal Blue Signature. Really a nice vehicle. Handles well and has the turbo.

I asked for mileage on the various cars that I was requesting quote. I did not want a car that was transferred from another dealer, I wanted on with single digit miles, and I wanted one that was a more current build date. I did not want one that was sitting on the lot for months.

https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wp...19/04/2019-Mazda-CX-5-Spec-Deck_Version-2.pdf

Last edited:
Here is a list of everything available. You will note items that are installed at the PORT. These would be items ordered by you or dealer. You can also see items DEALER installed. You should be able to locate a CX5 with the rails in dealer inventory. The hitch will probably have to be dealer installed as I have never seen a CX5 on a dealer lot with a hitch. The best way to buy is to go on Mazda site and list what you want and check inventory by zip code. Then contact Internet Manager for out the door price. We have 2019 Eternal Blue Signature. Really a nice vehicle. Handles well and has the turbo.

I asked for mileage on the various cars that I was requesting quote. I did not want a car that was transferred from another dealer, I wanted on with single digit miles, and I wanted one that was a more current build date. I did not want one that was sitting on the lot for months.

https://1ijylmozio83m2nkr2v293mp-wp...19/04/2019-Mazda-CX-5-Spec-Deck_Version-2.pdf

That's very helpful, thanks! So I guess the only way to get port-installed accessories installed at the port is to make a factory order?

I assume that is true. Suggest you ask a dealer. If you factory order, make certain the item(s) you order are on the order form going to the factory. The dealer may may more money by installing it. The window sticker will show if it was ordered or added later by the dealer.

I used to order cars but my last 3 were from dealer stock. The reason with Mazda is there are so few accessories to order. You can even go into Mazda site and build a CX with equipment you want and then enter zip codes around NY and NJ to see how close a CX5 matches what you entered. That's how I found mine but used zips in the Southeast.

That's very helpful, thanks! So I guess the only way to get port-installed accessories installed at the port is to make a factory order?
What CX_FIVER said is true. And you can order a CX-5 with features EXACTLY you want including OEM accessories. But the optional features on Mazda are relatively less comparing to other brands, you may be able to find one you want in dealers lot like CX_FIVER did.

I ordered my 2016 CX-5 GT AWD with Tech because similar reasons CX_FIVER mentioned. I couldnt find an AWD in Texas at the time and I dont want one driven or shipped from another state. Bigger Mazda dealers may be more willing to order one for you with good price, as they can simply add your requested order into one of their frequent orders to MNAO.

For Mazda, optional packages are installed at factory. And OEM accessories can be installed at the port by Mazda North American Operations, not by Mazda dealers. Looks like you want several OEM accessories. I personally would prefer MNAO to install OEM accessories if I dont want to install those by myself. The experience and workmanship definitely are better by MNAO than those Mazda dealers. Youll see those OEM accessories listed on original window sticker if those OEM accessories are installed by MNAO.

What yrwei52 said.

You cant factory order a CX-5. The distance between Mazdas CX-5 assembly plant in Japan and the U.S. is too far to factory order a CX-5. Your order is never sent to the assembly plant. Instead you wait for a CX-5 to roll off a cargo ship that has the model year, model name, trim level, drive train, options, and exterior/interior colors that you specified on the dealers order form.

Dont confuse options (and trim levels which are groups of options) with accessories. Theres a big difference between these two categories. You can find out which item is an option or an accessory on Mazdas web site build page.

Options have to be installed at the assembly plant because of the higher degree of complexity needed to install them. Examples of options include sun roof, leather interior, and electronic accident avoidance technology.

Accessories are easier to install and dont need to be installed at a factory. Accessories can be installed at the manufacturers port facility, dealership, or by yourself. Examples of accessories include wheel locks, cargo mats, and rear seatback protectors.

If you order a CX-5 and you have to wait for it, its less expensive to have accessories installed at the port facility than it is to have a dealer install them once the car has arrived. The invoice and MSRP price for each accessory can be found on web sites such as Edmunds.

If you buy a CX-5 thats already on a dealers lot and you opt to have accessories installed, youll pay more for them. Dealers obviously cannot ship a car back to the port facility to have accessories installed once the car has arrived at the dealership. So its better to let the port facility install the accessories but in order for that to happen, the accessory has to be specified on an order form.

Accessories that are installed by a dealership on a new car before the car has been sold will have a different second window sticker listing each accessory.

I factory ordered mine so that I could get the color I wanted and--as others have said--so I did not get one with 300+ highway miles on it because it was driven from an affiliated dealership. I told them that if the car had more than nominal miles on it, I wouldn't take delivery (I don't know if they had my color Reserve in stock elsewhere.)

I also did not want to pay to have the options installed (meaning there's no labor if you order them with the car and they're installed at the port...not all dealers will do the install for free in their shop).

A few weeks after I placed my order, the dealer called and told me they had a Reserve in the color I wanted en route to their location from Japan, and that they would install me options there without charging me labor (rails, hitch, splash guards, bumper guard.) This sped up delivery to me by a couple of months. Of course, I accepted. The car had less than 10 miles on it.

I have no idea what may have happened behind the scenes. I don't know why they did not offer this to me at the time I placed the order, since you would think that they would know what they have in the pipeline. There would have been no reason to not discuss this when I placed my order and to then wait like that.

Perhaps the dealer is incompetent.
Perhaps the dealer/factory communication stinks.
Perhaps they grossly padded the quoted lead time, and when my car hit the states they told Mazda to ship it As Is because of some backlog installing options at the port.

Last edited:
I factory ordered mine so that I could get the color I wanted and--as others have said--so I did not get one with 300+ highway miles on it because it was driven from an affiliated dealership. I told them that if the car had more than nominal miles on it, I wouldn't take delivery (I don't know if they had my color Reserve in stock elsewhere.)

I also did not want to pay to have the options installed (meaning there's no labor if you order them with the car and they're installed at the port...not all dealers will do the install for free in their shop).

A few weeks after I placed my order, the dealer called and told me they had a Reserve in the color I wanted en route to their location from Japan, and that they would install me options there without charging me labor (rails, hitch, splash guards, bumper guard.) This sped up delivery to me by a couple of months. Of course, I accepted. The car had less than 10 miles on it.

I have no idea what may have happened behind the scenes. I don't know why they did not offer this to me at the time I placed the order, since you would think that they would know what they have in the pipeline. There would have been no reason to not discuss this when I placed my order and to then wait like that.

Perhaps they grossly padded the quoted lead time, and when my car hit the states they told Mazda to ship it As Is because of some backlog installing options at the port.
Usually a Mazda dealer has all the info of the vehicles they ordered coming to its location. They would check that first when youre placing your order. I believe what happened to your case was theres a dealer trade happened after you placed the order and before the delivery by MNAO. If I were you, Id insist to have those OEM accessaries installed at the port. I simply dont trust those dealers doing the installation.

All Mazda dealers can search all Mazda vehicles available once left the assembly lines to designated region with VINs. This can shorten the time for specific order by this search, instead of placing an actual factory order, and most likely you can fine one under this condition as the trim levels and factor packages for Mazda are not too complicated. In my situation the Mazda dealer located one I wanted on the boat heading to the Long Beach, LA. It took 23 days to get to my Mazda dealer with 3 miles on odometer. I didnt want any port-installed accessories, that shortened delivery time.

Usually a Mazda dealer has all the info of the vehicles they ordered coming to its location. They would check that first when you*re placing your order. I believe what happened to your case was there*s a dealer trade happened after you placed the order and before the delivery by MNAO. If I were you, I*d insist to have those OEM accessaries installed at the port. I simply don*t trust those dealers doing the installation.

All Mazda dealers can search all Mazda vehicles available once left the assembly lines to designated region with VIN*s. This can shorten the time for specific order by this search, instead of placing an actual factory order, and most likely you can fine one under this condition as the trim levels and factor packages for Mazda are not too complicated. In my situation the Mazda dealer located one I wanted on the boat heading to the Long Beach, LA. It took 23 days to get to my Mazda dealer with 3 miles on odometer. I didn*t want any port-installed accessories, that shortened delivery time.

I already took delivery in March. Everything seems fine. The main issue is the bumper cutout for the hitch, which was done perfectly.

Perhaps they did redirect one after I placed my order, and didn't want to mess with the process while I watched. Or maybe one landed later. I think they called me 2-3 weeks after my order was placed.

What was the lead time they gave you when you placed the order?

What is the build date, listed inside your doorjamb?

Build Date (just says "Date") is Jan 2019
I ordered the car on Feb 22.
-They quoted a mid-May delivery.

The dealer called a week or two later and said they had already one in my color in the pipeline, and that I could have it if I was OK with the dealer installing the options at the same cost.

I took delivery on March 18.
-They must have had the car for at least a few days to install the options (rails, splash guards, hitch, rear bumper protector, cargo cover.)

Last edited:
Better to just hunt inventories of local Mazda dealers until you find the exact VIN you want and pounce! That's what I did.

Back