Next daily driver? MSP or SRT-4

to add to that list, the 350Z's interior is complete crap for a $38K car.
Compare thh dash of it and the neon and they are remarkably similar

They made it a little nicer this year as will most of their product line. The
350Z's interior I'd describe more as focused. I love the dash guages, seats and layout especially that the guages pivot with the steering wheel. Still the plastics aren't the greatest quality.

Being truthful though, you buy a Z for that sweet sweet motor, RWD and stylish coupe looks. And if you shop around, you can get a base one (which is all I'd need anyway) for just about 30-32K OTD.

2005_Nissan_350Z__interior.jpg

Last edited:
He is talking about lightly modded MSP to a STAGE 0 SRT-4. He is planning on no engine mods on the SRT-4, as least that is what he stated would be the case.

I have wasted a few SRT-4's both at the track and in the twisties. That is taking into consideration driver ability.

Bang for your buck, the MSP will be cheaper off the bat, as SRT-4's are still going for close to 20k in some areas. With the money saved, he could easily lightly modify the MSP to keep up with the straight line of the SRT-4. I'm sure his intentions with a DD are not to go overkill to have the fastest car around, but rather a fun car to drive around.

i dont think i could ever bring myself to buying a neon..turbo or not...now..the srt4 engine inside an msp body..that'd be nice

The title says daily driver so that's why I picked the MSP. Had he said drag car then I would have picked the SRT.

I've done a little research guys, I don't mind traveling.

MSPs and SRT-4s in good condition are NOT hard to find a lot of nice local ones pop up. And a lot of great deals can be found within 500 miles of boston.

As for reliability, I'm not too concerned, like I said only light mods on the MSP, I'm afraid of the B map on unichip (so I'll stick to A :) lol). I'm not going to boost more than map A.
Both cars have little quirks 3rd gear on the neon and the LSD on the protege.

From what I've seen, the MSP would prob cost me roughly $12-14k and the SRT-4 about $14.5-17.5k from browsing autotrader (looking at cars with around or under 30,000 miles good condition).

And of course I would browse both forums for decent deals, when ready to buy.

I posted something similar on, a forum which I cannot mention...though I can say that is a club for rx7's of sort (hint, hint). And people were pretty split down the middle. As long as I can avoid the SRT-4>you mentality I'll be fine :p (can't be any meaner than some of the EVO, STi, and FD guys)

Last edited:
ooo lookey a comparo xD dont even bother looking at the ford focus part xP haha msp vs srt4
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...edan_comparison/mazda_mazdaspeed_protege.html
hmm the msp almost beat the srt4. i found it an interesting read haha. i like the sound of the msp though "world-class at-the-limit handling of the MazdaSpeed Protege" gotta admit that mazda makes some of the best handling cars hehe. i'd get a msp instead of my p5 if my parents didnt know what turbo was xP (they think i'd race it and stuffs ><)
Good article similar to the SCC one.

its all up to u being that ur the buyer. either way, i think u'll be happy wit either of ur choices because these two cars are very good in their respected attributes plus they are rare so u'll be even more happy driving one around.

o yea ya should ask some of the srt owners on the forums too(they seemed pretty kool). i remember some came here so maybe u can get some unbiased answers being that we're a mazda forum and ur asking about a mazda xD

good luck on ur choice

Edmonds:
2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.3 Editors Most Wanted (mj)
PROs: Sports car handling, aggressive looks, incredible sound system.
CONs: Frustrating stereo controls, overdone rear spoiler

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.1 (no awards)
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.1
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 8.8 (no awards)
Editors Rating 7.6
Dynamics- 8.4
Comfort- 8.0
Function- 7.1
Design/Build Quality- 6.9

Pick your poison dude! (drunk)

msp FTW!!! xD what awards did the msp win? the srt has (no awards) next to the rating.

Edmonds:
2003 Mazda MAZDASPEED Protege Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.3 Editors Most Wanted (mj)
PROs: Sports car handling, aggressive looks, incredible sound system.
CONs: Frustrating stereo controls, overdone rear spoiler

2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.1 (no awards)
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 9.1
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 Consumer Reviews
CONSUMER RATING: 8.8 (no awards)
Editors Rating 7.6
Dynamics- 8.4
Comfort- 8.0
Function- 7.1
Design/Build Quality- 6.9

Pick your poison dude! (drunk)

:( I WANT the MSP! But at the same time for some reason I WANT the SRT-4! lol. I guess I just appreciate both cars for what they are and admire their best attributes.

I've driven both a msp and an srt-4. The neon drove like crap in my opinion. It had alot more power, but was NOT fun to drive. The MSP is ALWAYS a fun drive. And with a little work you can get the hp numbers up to a decent level that will be able to at least hang with an SRT4. My friend's MSP runnin I think 13psi raced my other friends SRT4. The neon one, but it was a decent race.

Obviously I think the MSP is better

I would never buy a Dodge Neon. It could go Mach 3 and cost $3000.00 I would still never buy it. Case in point, my buddy had a 1.5 year old Neon and he wanted me to install a new car stereo in it. I pulled out the stock radio and was shocked to find out the car was rusting underneath the dashboard. Piece of crap car. The MSP was put together fairly well and will last a long time if you take care of it. I could never say that about a Neon. The SRT-4 in my eyes is just a really fast piece of s*** car.

As for a daily driver, it depends on your budget. I would get the MSP over the SRT-4 any day of the week, but also as a daily driver, I probably wouldn't get either. The WRX has come to mind, only because of how well it responds to modification. The rear seat space sucks though and if you're bigger, good luck fitting in the seats. Time, garage/driveway space, and budget permitting you could get a really cheap daily driver like an older Corolla or Civic and use the rest of the MSP/SRT-4 budget and get a project car like a DSM, RX-7, 280Z, old 300Z, Camaro, Stang, 240SX, etc.

dodge didnt just throw a turbo on there engine and slap a srt badge on it. that was mazda..... that motor was built for how it is. ours isnt. you can easily mod a srt 4 over a protege speed and have it be reliable. they're bad ass cars and fast as s***. but ive always been a mazda kid and always will be. so i have to say take the msp. or wait te yers and get the ms3. way better than the protege.

oh and its not just a neon park a srt 4 next to a regular neon and tell me they look the same. they look tuff as s***. but so do ours sooooooo..... but give credit where credit is do. dont say dodge doesnt know how to build a turbo look at the daytona. look at the dsm's come on.

If you want your friend to make fun of you for rolling in a neon then get SRT-4...(peep)

They won't be making fun of you when you leave then choking on your exhuat fumes. Plus if his friends are car enthusiasts like him, they'll probably think its a pretty cool ride. :)

msp FTW!!! xD what awards did the msp win? the srt has (no awards) next to the rating.

In the SRT-4's defense, It won SCC's Sport Compact Car of the Year award, and narrowly beat out the MSP for the 2003 (I think it was '03...) 8 Great rides under $30K...

Back