Next daily driver? MSP or SRT-4

the worst thing for me appearance-wise about the SRT4 is the hideous wing. swap that for an R/T wing or remove it all together and its looks are acceptable. interior-wise it has way better seats than the MSP as long as you don't get side airbags but it's not that far behind overall, they both scream econo car

over here, it's not about handling.. no auto x, not much track weekends.. only a fewe.. alot more quarter mile and stop light street races.. and people in their 50's , mostly babyboomers showing there mid life crisis car, like mustangs and s***.. i'd like to give them a lesson and show them that not only v8's can win..

if i was to go back, i'd get the SRT4.. i dont need handling here, i need raw power and an engine that will hold up to it..

srt4 for me..

but in the real world.. where i live theres tons of snow in winter so my logical choice, even though not the best one, would be something AWD.. like a WRX

the worst thing for me appearance-wise about the SRT4 is the hideous wing. swap that for an R/T wing or remove it all together and its looks are acceptable. interior-wise it has way better seats than the MSP as long as you don't get side airbags but it's not that far behind overall, they both scream econo car

Ditto o nthe wing thing. Notice I used a pic of a wingless one. looks better that way imho.

Also out in the real world where you hardly if ever push an MSP to its handling limits in day to day driving, the SRT4s nice lump or torque comes in very handy in merging with fast moving fraffic, leaving a stoplight so you can get over before lane ends, passing on the highway or country road where passing time is limited. That power is just a lot more useful day to day.

I will occasionally throw my P5 into a curve and just smile as it grips and goes, but I find myself cursing it anemic motor when I need to merge with fast moving traffic and I punch the throttle and...... NOTHING HAPPENS. Its at times like that I wish I had more power.

Last edited:
The interior sucks in the srt-4.........but the engine/transmission and the power makes up for it. And if it's got stock wheels, paint them black.

The MSP is gonna cost alot to make really fast and RELIABLE. Motor, Trans, Ems, and the list goes on and on.

tn_xlarge_Front-Driver.jpg

I think the better looking thing is debatable! I think the MSP looks amazing but the Neon SRT4 has its charms. That intercooler, the subtle integrated hoodscoop, the ticked off looking headlights, the nice dual exhausts, heck I even like the stock wheels, did I mention that awesome looking intercooler? Its overall shape is a little on the round side but I think it adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

But interior wise ugh! Its not pretty. MSP wins that with a TKO!

When i said better looking I was referring to the interior. Read before you jump to conclusions. I do agree that SRT4's can look pretty sweet though.

When i said better looking I was referring to the interior. Read before you jump to conclusions. I do agree that SRT4's can look pretty sweet though.

Maybe if the grammer and sentence structure of your post were just a little better, I would have been better able to understand its original intent. :)

In any case you're right about them looking pretty sweet though. (first)

The ONLY power mods I would do on the MSP would be:
1)Turbo back exhaust
2)Upgraded SMIC
3)CAI
4)Unichip
& Maybe
5)The 626 manifold.

I have not idea how much those mods would net me. I think the car is peppy I would just be trying to wake it up a little..
anyone(glare)

Hi all, imo, the 2 cars are geared towards different markets in the tuning community.

The MSP is a daily driver with superbe handling and great interior not to mention great reliable engine and comfort. Basically what you can expect from a japanese car manufacturer.
Downsides-)
1-)Very little room for more power on stock components without using aftermarket parts. Not to mention the tranny that needs to be babied.
2-) thin paint! We all know that our stock paint jobs are thin and must be really cared for!
3-) radio stops to works due to a Kenwood design flaw
4-) Rear sub rack rattles
5-) front and rear bushings that need replacement every 8000miles approx...

As for the SRT-4, well i'm not very well acquainted with it but i know from driving a Neon in the past, it's still a Chrylser product and saddly they cut corners on the styling, interior and handling. It does offer good power and respectable handling, however i think that that alone would not sell me to buying one.

I love my MSP and i know what i need to do to get it to run very well and average 280hp- 300hp. I mean come on, what are you going to do with 400+hp on public roads??

So, i would rather have a great looking car inside and out, that handles great, has a very reliable engine and that has great fuel efficiency than have a powerful car that i cannot enjoy daily at WOT, a poor interior finish and a higher fuel consumption. Not to say the ramed up the A** rear end look.

Thats what i think and those are my daily needs: Daily driver with sporty look and sufficient power when needed.

I do respect those that own the SRT-4 as i hope they will respect me for owning a MSP. We all have one thing in common:

we love OUR CARS AND TUNING!!

Long live cars!

my 2 cents and opinon on the subject.

Enjoy the summer and drive safe!

anyone(glare)

I think that for around 2100$ you can have a CAI, Intercooler and exhaust.

But all depends on what you want to buy... there are many options to choose from!

I am going for the following mods, nothing to heavy, but for my own personal satisfaction and in starting order.

1-) Vibrant 3" exhaust
2-) Injen CAI
3-) Turbo timer
4-) Intercooler and hard pipes

Will stick to stock for boost until warranty is expired. I have the full 160000km warranty. Then will get rods and pistons + other stuff. I have Boost, AF ratio and oil pressure gauges already mounted on full A pillar mount.

that is what i am going to do.... depends on each person and buget!

if i could go and do it again i think i would still have gotten my msp. because really for me the interior is what i see all the time and the msp beats the srt-4 in that category hands down. yes the srt-4's power is nice but with my mods i can beat them =)

The SRT-4 handles like piss, even dangerously at times -- especially at any sort of speed. They have the power, i'll give them that and it's nice. But remember, you're used to driving that rx7...bad handling is only going to amplify in your eyes since youre used to being 2 inches off the road with an awesome suspension.

With those mods you mentioned (TBE, SMIC, CAI, Unichip, and maybe manifold) you're looking at ~210hp/220tq at the wheels or more. If you boost 10 psi (which is totally safe at that level) i would say you're at ~230-240 at the wheels. Those mods will also lock the tempermental beast of the MSP away, and will only give you a very solid, consistently powerful, fun to drive, responsive handling god of asphalt. You will beat srt-4s with those mods at 10psi without difficulty.

All those mods will run you about let's see...
TBE 500, SMIC 500, cai 150, unichip 400 = 1550 plus whatever the manifold is, can't really beat that. add a few extra for gauges and plugs and what-not, but the reality is you'll have a faster, better handling, better running, better looking (imo) car for cheaper. and cheaper insurance -- more money into the FD :)

Also, neons are known to be poorly manufactured and have high insurance rates. MSP's interior is hot s***, and a great sound system already. I don't know why other people have problems...but my deck has never crapped out, and the sub never rattles (make sure you set the system for 8" sub and it will work proper, default setting is 12").

for me, looking at the mods, MSP wins by a long stretch and will leave the neon in the dust in every way possible.

Here is the way I look at it. SRT-4's are quick and everything, but Dodge really cookie cuttered the interior. Mazda did some serious market research and thus provides the MSP. Here is one question you might ask yourself.

Do you want a cookie cutter quick car that you see driving down the road every hour, or do you want that "exclusive" limited production future sleeper with some serious R&D. Even the articles said the MSP has no problem keeping up with the SRT-4. Hell, it wouldn't have a problem keeping up with a WRX with the right driver.

HighwayUFO does not know what he is talkin about when he says the msp will keep with an srt-4! he is feeding you bulls*** thats for sure! the srt-4 waxes the s*** out of a msp! you could have mario andretti driving a msp and a retard drivin the srt-4 and the srt-4 would cream it!!

i personally think the srt-4 is a better choice but its all up to you, heck get the acr srt-4! they are rare and have way better suspension then the msp. but the acr version is only an 05 model and came in black or white so they are harder to find!

ooo lookey a comparo xD dont even bother looking at the ford focus part xP haha msp vs srt4

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...edan_comparison/mazda_mazdaspeed_protege.html

hmm the msp almost beat the srt4. i found it an interesting read haha. i like the sound of the msp though "world-class at-the-limit handling of the MazdaSpeed Protege" gotta admit that mazda makes some of the best handling cars hehe. i'd get a msp instead of my p5 if my parents didnt know what turbo was xP (they think i'd race it and stuffs ><)

You can fix the SRTs suspension easier then fixing the MSP engine or lack there of.

agreed, I had an equal amount of handling vs power mods on my 03 and it was a blast to drive. It's all about tuning, although looks are subjective.

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

engine3.jpg

As for interior, some mods help a bit ;)

Picture060.jpg

HighwayUFO does not know what he is talkin about when he says the msp will keep with an srt-4! he is feeding you bulls*** thats for sure! the srt-4 waxes the s*** out of a msp! you could have mario andretti driving a msp and a retard drivin the srt-4 and the srt-4 would cream it!!

i personally think the srt-4 is a better choice but its all up to you, heck get the acr srt-4! they are rare and have way better suspension then the msp. but the acr version is only an 05 model and came in black or white so they are harder to find!

I'm pretty sure Mario Andretti could outdrive someone with a mental defciency even if he was in a slower car. But I do agree with him (as has been argued thousands of times on this board) that the SRT-4 handles as badly as people on this forum say. I've never driven one at the limit but from the reviews I've read a statistics, it seems to be a decent handler. Not on the same level as the MSP but I don't think its afraid to take a corner especially in ACR trim.

agreed, I had an equal amount of handling vs power mods on my 03 and it was a blast to drive. It's all about tuning, although looks are subjective.

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

engine3.jpg

As for interior, some mods help a bit ;)

Picture060.jpg

Everytime I see pics of your neon, I'm reminded why I like the SRT4. When done tastefully and right, I'd take one in a heartbeat.(first)

This one belongs to an SRTForums member. I think those wheels really complement the car.

Resize_of_1-29-07_DSC_5477.JPG

Last edited:
Back