Next daily driver? MSP or SRT-4

:
Mazda RX7 '87' & Hyundai Tiburon GT '05'
First and foremost let me say that in my heart I'm a Mazda guy...But this car is would be a Daily Driver.

My current daily is a toyota which I may give to a sibling. great little car love the thing, but I want something a little more sporty. The FC is my weekend warrior and it's actually pretty reliable and fun to drive, but alas it's a two seater....

Anyways I'm starting to look towards my next daily driver, the criteria I looked at was 1) Fun to drive 2) practical 3)quick 4)affordable and 5) Might sub in for the FC on an AutoX/Track day.

I've found two cars above all others that meet this criteria.

1) The Mazdaspeed Protege
and
2) The Dodge Neon SRT-4

Similar and yet very different, both are 5 speed, FWD, Turbo inline 4s. Both represent the best in the sport compact market during their creation.

The MSP to this day has unparalleled handling for a FWD car, rivaling WRX's on pure grip, the chassis and suspension are near perfection, the handling is amazing for a FWD. Holds on to the Tarmac with .89 G of grip

The SRT-4 on the other hand is all about all out power. No other car in it's segment is as quick, only the MS3 comes close. The car is underrated so it's even more powerful than it sounds. Rips a 0-60 in about 5.4.

The MSP is quick but not as fast as the SRT-4, and the SRT-4 handles well but no where near as good as the MSP. I like the look of both cars about equally and know some of the issues that pop up in each. The SRT's tranny (3rd gear), and the MSP's LSD. Both are about the same price range as well.

I appreciate both for what they are. And I like AutoX and going to track days both cars have attributes that would be beneficial. I can't pick.... Power or Grip.

I've read countless reviews all lead to the same conclusion, I've even read a few threads here about a few members that own/have owned both and the conclusion is nearly always the same, both are GREAT cars.

Obviously this a Mazda board, but I was hoping for some non bias opinions (if possible) and words of wisdom from you guys.

Have you considered the MS3? But if its only bwt the MSP and the SRT-4, I'd go with the MSP as a daily driver.(wiggle)

You can fix the SRTs suspension easier then fixing the MSP engine or lack there of.

The ONLY power mods I would do on the MSP would be:
1)Turbo back exhaust
2)Upgraded SMIC
3)CAI
4)Unichip
& Maybe
5)The 626 manifold.

I have not idea how much those mods would net me. I think the car is peppy I would just be trying to wake it up a little.

the SRT-4 would probably get
1)Springs
2)Sway bars
3)Lower arm bars
4)anti lift plates & such.

Power is more than enough here, but the suspension would have to be beefed up while retaining a little comfort (read as won't break my back).
Have you considered the MS3? But if its only bwt the MSP and the SRT-4, I'd go with the MSP as a daily driver.(wiggle)
Should've seen that coming...

Yes! I love that car! I want it sooo badly!!! But Alas the MS3 is out of my price range. Unless I wait about year before buying. Do you really think it's worth the wait? I mean the answer is obviously yes, but the MS3 is a little out of my budget :(
You can fix the SRTs suspension easier then fixing the MSP engine or lack there of.
True BUT the MSP is cheaper to start with...which would off set the cost of most of the mods. I mean all of them are bolt ons...

Last edited:
both cars would be fun daily drivers.....i say go for the one that has the lowest price tag, whichever one

both cars would be fun daily drivers.....i say go for the one that has the lowest price tag, whichever one
I CAN'T PICK! Both cars are AWESOME for what they are. (dunno) There are few cars at this level that come close...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_mazda_protege/index.html

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/features/0301scc_first_place_dodge_srt4/index.html

"Gathering performance data, it quickly became clear the SRT-4 was dominating the straight-line tests, and the Mazdaspeed Proteg was being equally relentless with the handling tests. To break the tie, we took to the mountains and let real-world speed decide the winner. As you have surely guessed, the SRT-4 was the faster of the two, but not by much. It took more than three miles for the SRT-4 to pull an appreciable gap on the Proteg. While not as solid and composed as the Proteg, the Neon still showed decent balance, good grip, strong, fade-free brakes, and of course, staggering pull between the corners. This is a lot of performance for $20,000."

"The Mazdaspeed Proteg gives up 73 hp and a 100 lb-ft of torque to the overendowed SRT-4, and yet it was surprisingly close to nudging the Dodge out of the top spot. The fact is, none of this car's test numbers, not even its winning handling numbers, do justice to the Proteg's true capabilities. This is an amazingly well-sorted car with surprisingly few compromises. We've heard more than one automotive engineer jealously question how Mazdaspeed managed to sneak such a low, tight suspension past the corporate ninny brigade. The only possible answer: Mazda's ninnies get it."

Yes! I love that car! I want it sooo badly!!! But Alas the MS3 is out of my price range. Unless I wait about year before buying. Do you really think it's worth the wait? I mean the answer is obviously yes, but the MS3 is a little out of my budget :(

well....with a few bolt ons the MSP can produce good numbers and overall it would be a better choice then the SRT4 as a daily driver.

Having driven both cars I have to give it to the MSP. I get great gas milleage (average over 25mpg), I ususally have a few people with me, and it's definately fun to drive. THe SRT is a fun car to drive if you like doing big burn outs and don't like to turn. It's one of the worst handling cars I have driven.

Only knock I have about the SRT4 is, can you really live with the low rent rubbermaid garbage can feel of the interior for a daily driver?

If I had to do it over again..I would of gone integra type R. I would of saved 3G buying that over the MSP. Only drawback would be, it would get stolen or broken into every other week.

i like the MSP alot, the SRT-4 does have the power though, but what never gets out of my head about the SRT-4 is the fact that its still a neon, plus i think the MSP looks way better.

My friend has an SRT-4 pushing 432 whp and a 11.33 1/4 mile time and im at 227whp and i still would rather have the MSP. But this all my opinion.

This would be a hard choice for me too. The MSP is such such a well balanced machine with only its motor holding it from true greatness. Its got the looks, the handling, a nice interior for its price range. Its pretty solid.

I also love the way the SRT4 looks, I love the mean looking intercooler, the wheels, the suble aero package and I don't even car that its a Neon. I love its big power with more available very easily. However, I HATE its low rent interior with upgly plastics and manual rear windows and I hate that it looks like its sitting up so high. The handling is no where near as good as the MSP but as the article shows its good enough to make it faster in real world situations when combined with its power

But for the age I am now and where I am in life, I can have luxury later. If you can afford to do the same, go with the SRT 4

choose wisely......

I can understand your perdicament!! I too was in the same situation several months ago. I too did my homework to decide which car I would like to buy. I like the SRT4 power numbers etc. I like the wicked sweet handling of the MSP. There is only one thing I can't get out of my head about the SRT4 (well there are a couple others, but...) Dodge really overdid themselves when they put power windows up front and roll down windows in the back. What???? Why??? Save a couple pounds... Or is it that every Dodge I've been in has a broken window motor or door lock actuator. The Neon... is still a Neon and boosting the motor and slapping a SRT badge on it doesn't really do much for me. I always say I feel better knowing a little Japanese guy put my car together.
If you want reliability, go MSP especially for a daily driver (thumb). I drive 50 miles round trip to work and I'm always comfy!! If you want a pop can that is only good for about 60k, but super quick, go SRT4 (hand). You really have to decide as I did on what you really want.... Fast or Reliable... I went with reliable.
There is another guy on the forum that has a cool footer:
Cheap.... Fast .... Reliable ..... You can only choose two

I would never buy a Dodge Neon. It could go Mach 3 and cost $3000.00 I would still never buy it. Case in point, my buddy had a 1.5 year old Neon and he wanted me to install a new car stereo in it. I pulled out the stock radio and was shocked to find out the car was rusting underneath the dashboard. Piece of crap car. The MSP was put together fairly well and will last a long time if you take care of it. I could never say that about a Neon. The SRT-4 in my eyes is just a really fast piece of s*** car.

As for a daily driver, it depends on your budget. I would get the MSP over the SRT-4 any day of the week, but also as a daily driver, I probably wouldn't get either. The WRX has come to mind, only because of how well it responds to modification. The rear seat space sucks though and if you're bigger, good luck fitting in the seats. Time, garage/driveway space, and budget permitting you could get a really cheap daily driver like an older Corolla or Civic and use the rest of the MSP/SRT-4 budget and get a project car like a DSM, RX-7, 280Z, old 300Z, Camaro, Stang, 240SX, etc.

MSP gets my vote, but I partial :)

I have a female friend that has the Stage 1 SRT-4, and whenever I drove it - I could never get comfortable. The driver position was just not intended for 6' 3" people even with the seat all the way back. In the MSP, I have to slide the seat up a bit to get comfortable. I have never owned a vehicle where I had to do that...

So that is more of a practical look at things. You have to drive, and drive hard at times, in a seat that needs to FIT YOU. I can't stand sliding all over the place when I'm autocrossing or driving down a twisty road. It's very annoying and can be dangerous if you think about it. The MSP seats and the Dodge seats are definitely above average, but the combination of seat adjustability and driver control layout of the MSP won me over. Something to chew on when you test drive :)

Well, each car will have it's own little things here and there that you won't like or will need to be replaced. But, looking at the daily driver perspective the msp gets better gas mileage as well as, better looking and more comfortable interior. Also you said you might auto cross it, well if it was me handling would get the vote of power any day.

o ya keep this in mind the SRT-4 is a killer on your insurance rates, its like one of the most expensive cars.

Between a MSP and a SRT-4, I would say MSP hands down. Looks better inside and out IMO, comfortable ride and great handling.

Well, each car will have it's own little things here and there that you won't like or will need to be replaced. But, looking at the daily driver perspective the msp gets better gas mileage as well as, better looking and more comfortable interior. Also you said you might auto cross it, well if it was me handling would get the vote of power any day.

tn_xlarge_Front-Driver.jpg

I think the better looking thing is debatable! I think the MSP looks amazing but the Neon SRT4 has its charms. That intercooler, the subtle integrated hoodscoop, the ticked off looking headlights, the nice dual exhausts, heck I even like the stock wheels, did I mention that awesome looking intercooler? Its overall shape is a little on the round side but I think it adds up to more than the sum of its parts.

But interior wise ugh! Its not pretty. MSP wins that with a TKO!

Latest posts

Back