msp popularity

there are only 2 others at camp lejeune. one spicey and another black mica. im the only one with body mods. limited production cars are the best because everyone wants them. ive had tuns of people asking if the car was for sale when it was at the shop because they've never seen one before. i've never seen one at the mazda dealer either. we should get like a gumball ralley goin or something.....(first)

"hey so what kind of car is that?"
"it's a 2003.5 mazdaspeed protege"
...completely blank look of bewilderment forms on their face at my answer, followed by an, "oh." and usually an "it's nice". :)

rarity is a very cool thing, i mean i know these aren't supercars and their not ferraris or anything by any means...but it's pretty cool to be as unique as 1 of 500 across the nation.

Between living in Central PA, Philly, and NJ (and driving all over the place to get from one location to the other) -- I've only seen a handful MSPs on the road since I bought mine in the summer of 2003.

The only reason I've seen half of them is because of the forums.

The only Blues I've ever seen are CustomMSP and another guy on the forums who's name I can't remember -- and I only saw them because of meets and part exchanges. I've never seen a Silver. I've seen a single Spicy. I've seen two Titaniums. And two Yellows.

Okay, so that's seven.

Anyway, I get a lot of confusion with mine -- especially during the summer, when the hood and grill and wheels are all different than stock. I've had random car-oriented people ask me what my license plate means because they have no idea what 'MSP' stands for.

But I like it that way. It makes me giggle.

i'd like to know how many are actually on the road cause i know i have seen some totaled msp so there are fewer now that there was when they were made

I have seen like at least 10 in south east WI. I think I have seen 2 different blue ones. both in "used" condition.(one with different than stock bald tires) I have seen like 5 spicys. One at a dealership with crappy rims on it.(16's?) One show car, one or two race cars. only see a couple a year. The best is at road america one guy walked by and was like "mazdaspeed nice" made my day.

blkspdfreak said:
does any one know exactly how many msp's were produced? even better, how many of each color?
This is a hotly debated topic and I'm not sure anyone knows for sure. I've seen people say "Mazda only made yada yada yellow msp's for sure!" and be totally wrong, so here is a VERY CLOSE representation of how many are out there...

2003 1750 cars produced for USA sale ABOUT half black half orange although most people believe there are more black.

2003 250 cars produced for sale in Canada ONLY orange for Canada

2003.5 2750 cars for USA the first batch of 1750 was titanium and yellow about half and half I'm sure of course rumor has it there were more titanium

2003.5 USA second batch was 1000 silver and blue again most likely half and half

2003.5 for Canada was ONLY titanium and yellow this number is not available but I'd imagine 250 again...MAKING 5000 TOTAL CARS PRODUCED?

I never ever seen them now that I got stationed in Ohio. When I took my car to the oil change place, they didn't even know what kind of car it was (due to the familia badge). He kept walking to the trunk, and then walking back to the computer asking himself what the hell a familia is. I finally had to come out and them that it was a protege.

I've only seen 3 other MSP's and I live in NY so you'd expect to see more. I've only seen 2 MP3's that I can remember. Very rare car and nobody has any clue what the hell it is! It's killing me to have to get rid of it, but responsibilities are calling me and I can't afford both the CX7 and the MSP so the CX7 won...

I live in the northeast philly area and am all over jersey all the time and hardly see any MSPs...theres like three in my area and we all know each other from either this forum or the meets in the area. I dont ever think I have seen a spicy.

I've seen a blue in my area, and a yellow protege 5 a few times (how big was that run I wonder?). But yeah, not that many of them on the road. Which is nice. Even my STi car friends go "oh, I didn't know they did a speed edition of the protege".

i see MSPs 2-3 times per week.
most MSPs are in california....just like Evos, STis, ...etc.

want a hard mazda to find? try looking for MS Miata. i see maybe 2 or 3 per year.
now THAT's a rare mazda.
still to this day i wish i bought one.....damn.

in my two places that i've lived (lynchburg VA, and Harrisonburg VA), neither have a msp dealership within two hours so i have only seen one, and that person uses it for a pizza delivery car... (chair) (bang)

daonly1around said:
in my two places that i've lived (lynchburg VA, and Harrisonburg VA), neither have a msp dealership within two hours so i have only seen one, and that person uses it for a pizza delivery car... (chair) (bang)

Best Handling Pizza Delivery Car EVER!!!!!!!!!

Donas64 said:
Best Handling Pizza Delivery Car EVER!!!!!!!!!

You should see the EVO pizza delivery car in the latest SCC.

I have seen about 3 MSPs in town that I can think of...two titanium and one black. I have never seen a MSM other than a red one at the dealership when they came out. Although, come to think of it I have not seen a MS3 or MS6 outside of the dealership. I have seen dozens of Porsche 911s, a few Ferraris, a few Lambos and a Detomaso Pantera.....go figure.

I have seen a used MSM in black at Kolosso Jeep in Appleton! I feel special!

I saw a Mazdaspeed Miata on the freeway. It's license plate said "TRCKSLT". No joke. :)

LASERBLUE135 said:
This is a hotly debated topic and I'm not sure anyone knows for sure. I've seen people say "Mazda only made yada yada yellow msp's for sure!" and be totally wrong, so here is a VERY CLOSE representation of how many are out there...

2003 1750 cars produced for USA sale ABOUT half black half orange although most people believe there are more black.

2003 250 cars produced for sale in Canada ONLY orange for Canada

2003.5 2750 cars for USA the first batch of 1750 was titanium and yellow about half and half I'm sure of course rumor has it there were more titanium

2003.5 USA second batch was 1000 silver and blue again most likely half and half

2003.5 for Canada was ONLY titanium and yellow this number is not available but I'd imagine 250 again...MAKING 5000 TOTAL CARS PRODUCED?
2003 models had 1150 black and 600 spicy. I've got a spicy so I hade to know. Not to sure about the 03.5 models.

My neighbor has MSP, a yellow one, he used to have an EVO7...dont know what happened to that...other than that i've never seen MSP around my area, seen some proteges, and some P5's now seen 4 or 5 MS6 no MS3 and a bunch of M6 and some M3's

Back