Mazda Motorsports has added some cool parts...

Has anyone noticed that Mazda Motorsports, or rather Mazdaspeed Motorsports, has added some interesting items to the list. Such as more gearing for the tranny from the World Challenge (WC) cars?? Not to mention rods and bearing from the WC cars???

Hmmm, looks like beefier motor and tranny parts are available for the 3rd gen Protege...This is good, and interesting.

Changing out the gearing might make for better off the line acceleration without having to do much in horsey department.

Check it out.

StuttersC said:
Here is the url:

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Catalog?storeId=10001

then search for the "Protege", "2.0 DOHC I-4", "2001" for the year and looky loo yourself...

i thought i only saw gears 3-4-5? which would be right if they were for a race car. swap out the final drive, and the top three gears, and you have a strong close ratio gear box. (something NOT for street use) i bet top speed with that set-up is only 100mph or so.

they alos added the ram air set-up that you see in all the pictures of the SWC protege's.

The Touring cars top out at 140 mph ,The spec sheet i have Shows that the engines have 215 hp . The trans is stock with a Quafie LSD .

njaremka said:

i thought i only saw gears 3-4-5? which would be right if they were for a race car. swap out the final drive, and the top three gears, and you have a strong close ratio gear box. (something NOT for street use) i bet top speed with that set-up is only 100mph or so.

they alos added the ram air set-up that you see in all the pictures of the SWC protege's.

Using the stock 6500 rpm redline, the top speed is only about 100 mph...However, after listening to those WC cars wing up, I'm sure they are up in the 8000 rpm range, which would keep them in the 140 mark.

And, yes those gears really would be a short box, but, who wants to go over 100 mph on the street anyways? Particularly if you can get there quick...

StuttersC said:

Using the stock 6500 rpm redline, the top speed is only about 100 mph...However, after listening to those WC cars wing up, I'm sure they are up in the 8000 rpm range, which would keep them in the 140 mark.

And, yes those gears really would be a short box, but, who wants to go over 100 mph on the street anyways? Particularly if you can get there quick...

yeah, BUT doing some quick math, you are turning 5000rpm at 70mph! and some people think 3500rpm at 70mph is too much!

njaremka said:

yeah, BUT doing some quick math, you are turning 5000rpm at 70mph! and some people think 3500rpm at 70mph is too much!

I know...I guess you just have to make some sacrifices along the way. Who needs economy gas mileage?

StuttersC said:

I know...I guess you just have to make some sacrifices along the way. Who needs economy gas mileage?

i guess if you live in the city and never enter an express way, GO FOR IT!

njaremka said:

i guess if you live in the city and never enter an express way, GO FOR IT!

I hit the highway all the time...So I guess I'm out. Although, just chanign the final drive out would make a nice difference and not sacrifice the top end to much.

Hmmm, 4.833 final drive, Quaiffe LSD, 15 lb fly wheel and ACT clutch...Maybe, just maybe...

8000rpm redline is actually what Shauna Marinus' info sheet for her Tripoint Mazda Protege stated. so a good call StuttersC!!!

and yeah, those gears are NOT good for street driving... WAY too short...

ZoomZoomH said:
8000rpm redline is actually what Shauna Marinus' info sheet for her Tripoint Mazda Protege stated. so a good call StuttersC!!!

and yeah, those gears are NOT good for street driving... WAY too short...

Shauna Marinus info sheet?? Is she cute? Is she single??

I was wanting to re gear my car 1st-4th and leave 5th for Street/Highway driving. Anyone know of anyone else selling gears for stock transmissions?

Back