OEM Future parts availability for Mazda 2.2L Skyactiv-D Engine

Hi all, I'm looking for some information on parts the 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.2 Skyactive-D (diesel) here in Canada/North America.

Seeing as though this engine was only available in North America for 1 year, auto parts stores confirmed with me there will be limited to no aftermarket options available in the coming years. My biggest question is how long will Mazda make engine parts for this specific Skyactive-D available in Canada? Its my understanding that Vehicle manufactures are obligated to have OEM parts available for a certain amount of time, and after that time availability varies with number of models sold and demand.

It seems like going to the dealership is the only way to get engine parts. Do people think Mazda will consider discontinuing engine parts for the 2.2 diesel in the near future? The Skyactive-D has been sold all the world since 2012, is it as simple as Mazda Canada getting parts from over seas if they are not in stock in Canada or is there a Canadian parts standardization that complicates that? I don't know where the parts come from and how things differ from country to country. If anyone could chime with some good info or their similar experience with with other vehicle models and situations it would be much appreciated

Thanks

I remember I read somewhere .. 10 yrs.
The article says the same.
However,
it might be there somewhere, but can you find it when you need it?

The article I linked to claimed there isn't any official requirement (US Market) and seems to be more of an urban legend at this point.

@Gulf_Island , first welcome to Mazda247 😁

What parts are you looking for to be available? The 2.2 diesel is a popular engine model all throughout the world except North American (hard to push certain agenda's if you have efficient powerful diesels around 😉). I'm not worried anymore about diesel parts than any other part.

Bought mine new in 2020 for 35% off since nobody wanted a powerful efficient diesel and have been enjoying it ever since. Bout 75k miles on it now.

the headlights are on constantly :)
Rest of the world is full of aftermarket parts for the Diesel. And Mazda US can backorder as well if something is missing and most of the body parts are not that different from the US gas engines.
Shipping to US for the Diesel is actually way easier (and no import tax) vs say if somebody has the Turbo Petrol in Europe and has to buy the parts from US. Sales tax 20+% and import taxes too.

What parts are you looking for to be available? The 2.2 diesel is a popular engine model all throughout the world except North American (hard to push certain agenda's if you have efficient powerful diesels around 😉). I'm not worried anymore about diesel parts than any other part.

Bought mine new in 2020 for 35% off since nobody wanted a powerful efficient diesel and have been enjoying it ever since. Bout 75k miles on it now.
Hey, Thanks! Well nothing now, I'm looking at one right now for sale that's mint with low km, but I'm worried about parts in the future. I've heard around that manufacturers are only obligated to make OEM parts for 3,5, and 10 years, but haven't gotten a solid answer on how many years it actually is. The guy at the local parts store said walk away from it because I'll never find aftermarket parts at stores here, and Mazda will most likely discontinue parts for it. He doesn't know much about the 2.2D being sold in the rest of the world, so I'm just trying to do the research to verify if what he is saying is true. I know it shares every component but the engine with the gassers, so its not like its an entirely different vehicle.
Would a North American Mazda dealership be able bring in parts intended for Australian or European vehicles, does it even work like that?

Hyflyer, Seems like you've had a pretty good experience with yours, have you done any carbon cleaning yet?

From what I've read it seems like every major issue with these stems from carbon build up, which is so preventable if proactively dealt with.

@HyFlyer: Is there anything unique to the diesel engine sold here in US compared to rest of the world?
The only thing that comes to mind is PCM itself. That is likely a different part number than other countries and is set/tuned differently for North America. (I'm just speculating ... I don't know for sure)

I'm looking at one right now for sale that's mint with low km,
To me, it seems the Mazda 2.2 diesel is more suited to folks who "stretch their legs" more so than say, a soccer mom grocery getter. Also, I have read stories of a Canadian owner having issues with the SCR system freezing up in sub zero temperatures out in the mountains and causing lots of problems for her. (That may have been related to the DEF pump harness recall. The car does have heating systems for that.)

Idunno what your experience level with diesel autos is. They're not for everyone. I really like the diesel powertrain and driving dynamics so the higher fuel cost and fiddling around with "diesel stuff" is worth it to me (and even enjoyable really). So if you put some km's on and don't mind the diesel stuff, it may be just the thing for you 😁.

The guy at the local parts store said
Well, pffffft. I wouldn't pay any attention to what that dude says really.

I know it shares every component but the engine with the gassers,
There are differences besides the engine ... Fuel filter, air filter, battery, alternator, exhaust off the top of my head.

Hyflyer, Seems like you've had a pretty good experience with yours, have you done any carbon cleaning yet?
I love my 2.2 diesel driving experience. Very satisfying. I have not done any type of internal cleaning. Just normal driving and maintenance. Oil, fuel filters, air filters and a set of tires. I may take a peek with an inspection camera sometime between 100,000-150,000 miles into the EGR, turbos, DPF to see how things looks and go from there.

My biggest suggestion would be to download the FORscan app for your phone (you may have to get it directly from their website vs the "app store") and a Bluetooth dongle to connect it to your OBDII port so you can monitor what's going on with your car's systems and reset faults. I make it a point to, as much as possible, let the car complete regeneration cycles and not turn it off in the middle of one. There's been a few times I've driven around a couple of extra miles while it finished and cooled down a bit rather than turn it off with the exhaust system up at 1400°F. Mazda says it's fine and the car will just do another Regen when it needs to but I'd rather not lol.

I use OEM oil, fuel and air filters (just buy them online several years worth at a time and sit on my shelf). The oil I like Mobil1 0w30 ESP in 5qt jugs. Walmart and O'Reilly's has had the best price on those for about $30.00

There have been a couple of recall campaigns ... An oil level sensor & dipstick /PCM change, an issue with some cars rubbing the wiring harness for the DEF pump/tank and one other one I can't think of.

Diesels are fun 😁 💕 lol.

I know you aren't entirely serious in your tone, but it rankles a little because I really wanted the torquey efficient diesel in 2017 and 2018. By 2019 Mazda was way late, tried to sell it for way too much, and had terrible EPA mileage numbers that were beyond underwhelming.

The clincher is that it was only available in the ugly brown on black interior. I still can't fathom how somebody in their design department sold that as the premium configuration.

Totally agree with you @murky about Mazdas' delivery of the diesel for North America. I don't think they could've botch'd that any worse! Total marketing miss to try to go "upscale" and think they were going to compete with luxury German brand diesel offerings.

Yeah I currently have a golf TDI, I throw Mobile 1 ESP in it too. I got a little box I installed that picks up data off the canbus and integrates it to the center screen in the cluster. reads out boost, all temperatures, soot loading in the DPF, and all the EGT sensor banks etc. Its so useful being able to predict regens, I'd be looking for something like that FORscan for sure if I buy. Diesels are great, once you get one its hard to go back to gas in my opinion

There are differences besides the engine ... Fuel filter, air filter, battery, alternator, exhaust off the top of my head.
And the 6-speed automatic transmission for the Mazda 2.2D is different than other gas engines if I remember it correctly. Hence the TCM is different too.

And the 6-speed automatic transmission for the Mazda 2.2D is different than other gas engines if I remember it correctly. Hence the TCM is different too.
I couldn't say for sure if the transmission itself is physically different from the one in the 2.5T (they have the same gearing ratio's anyway) but the TCM would likely be programmed specifically for the SkyActiv-D.

Yeah I currently have a golf TDI, ⋯
Diesels are great, once you get one its hard to go back to gas in my opinion
I like diesel engines but IMO Mazda’s unique SkyActiv-D 2.2D does have some major issues found in the rest of the world since it’s been introduced in 2012. Some may have been fixed along the way, but others only the time can tell.

The real red flag to me is when Mazda Taiwan been forced by the government giving the lifetime engine warranty to all 2.2D’s due to the sudden coolant “explosion” without any “overheating” warnings, Mazda simply stopped importing the diesel engine to Taiwan a couple of years ago even though that’s the most popular engine (like many other regions in the world) for all Mazda’s in Taiwan. The most recent problem exposed from the 2.2D is the broken oil pump chain, again without any warnings, and the engine is done. This series of problems on Mazda’s popular 2.2D has made Mazda becoming a problematic car brand in Asian market including China.

Diesels are still very popular there in Asia and Europe due to the better fuel economy and much lower diesel price at the pump. Here’s the diesel price I saw in Madrid, Spain just a few days ago during my road trip in Europe.

3C17C101-8D65-4F49-94E5-9267CE14260C.jpeg

Once while we’re walking up to a mountain top in Pyrenees Mountains on the French side following the sheep migration, we took a ride on a Mercedes GLC 350d 4Matic driven by a nice French couple. The 3.0L I6 diesel engine is very powerful and quiet, can’t tell it’s a diesel at all in the cabinet or standing near the hood!

1FC8ECDE-61D9-476C-8423-E92FDDA4FEA0.jpeg

nevertheless there are thousands diesel CX5s with more than 150000 miles still in service in Europe.
so it cant be that bad. Plus 45 mpg is pretty good given the lower diesel prices vs petrol mpg/prices.

IMG_4702.jpeg

IMG_4701.jpeg

IMG_4703.jpeg

Back