Loud road noise...Is that normal?

Took my CX5 2WD auto to the Mazda dealer today. They test drove it and said the road noise was normal. I asked them to check the door seals for fit and they refused. The rumble from the front tyres (Yoko Geolanders 17") is quite unbelievable. This is a brand new car, 2 months old, 1000 miles on the clock. Will be selling this car soon and will not be looking at another Mazda.

You will take a much larger financial hit on a new car than you would on new tires......

You will take a much larger financial hit on a new car than you would on new tires......

No kidding, many thousands of dollar later a Buick can be had (not to mention the high rate of depreciation in first couple years with that on top of it)....

I find that my 2015 CX-5 with 19" Grand Touring wheels is very smooth and quiet, even on the highway. If there are very strong cross winds I get some wind noise, but it seems to be on par or better than other SUV's I've driven in strong winds.

The road noise has been driving me nuts so I replaced the stock tires with new Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia (eco) tires because of there good noise rating. Slight improvement in road noise but not worth the $800 cost.

I test drove a new Santa Fe Sport yesterday. It has much less road noise in my opinion. Probably going to trade the CX-5 in for one.

I find that my 2015 CX-5 with 19" Grand Touring wheels is very smooth and quiet, even on the highway. If there are very strong cross winds I get some wind noise, but it seems to be on par or better than other SUV's I've driven in strong winds.

I find it smooth and quiet as well!! Maybe there are road surface types in some areas that make it noisier?

Last edited:
Has anyone else changed away from the Yokohama Geolander G98s ? I see Vanman79 has changed to Bridgestone Duelers. I'm thinking maybe a set of Michelin Latitudes might provide a quieter ride, but interested to hear of anyone else's experience as well.

Vanman79 - I notice the tyre rumble at all speeds above 40mph (60kph) and especially at motorway speeds where the din requires the radio to be cranked right up. Same for you ?

A weekend project (Dynamat). When I owned a Tacoma, I frequented a Tacoma forum where some of the guys used this stuff (floors, doors, roofs... every nook and cranny they could find, they covered it). They claimed it made the interior of the truck significantly quieter. And trust me, a Tacoma with AT or MT tires is definitely louder than the CX-5. Maybe that's why the CX-5's noise levels don't bother me that much. Anyway, if you're going to have the car for a while and the noise bugs you that much, it might be worth the investment.

Has anyone else changed away from the Yokohama Geolander G98s ? I see Vanman79 has changed to Bridgestone Duelers. I'm thinking maybe a set of Michelin Latitudes might provide a quieter ride, but interested to hear of anyone else's experience as well.

I switch the Geolanders out each winter for Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT's and surprisingly, while I don't find the Geo's particularly loud, the winter tires are even quieter. They also have a smoother ride and better corner grip (wet or dry). They have two winters and are wearing well (for winter tires).

I know it's not what you are looking for but the point is, there are quieter tires out there. The Geo's are practical budget tires. Inexpensive, last moderately well and not awful when you push them. Of course, that's relative, I've driven worse cheap tires but many quality tires will corner better although they might cost more and wear more quickly. I tend to drive more gently in the summer months so I'm not too anxious to replace them but you can bet I will not leave them on till the wear bars are flush.

I switch the Geolanders out each winter for Goodyear UltraGrip Ice WRT's and surprisingly, while I don't find the Geo's particularly loud, the winter tires are even quieter. They also have a smoother ride and better corner grip (wet or dry). They have two winters and are wearing well (for winter tires).

Similar experience. I have Michelin Xi2 on for winter and they are quieter than the Geolanders.

However, while the Xi2 are superb on ice, they are not quite as good as the Geolanders in the wet......

Drive a new top selling in the class CR-V and the noise is greater both wind and tire..

I do have both of em= 2012 crv Ex 2013 cx-5 GS, road noise Crv is much quieter but heavier to maneuver, when cx-5 on the other hand is a little bit louder than the CRV, but fun to drive. sometimes if I get tired of the cx-5 i just switched to crv but when I get bored using the Crv then I switch back to the cx-5.

but from time to time, if I want something more nimble I drive our hatch 3 haha.

Vanman79 - I notice the tyre rumble at all speeds above 40mph (60kph) and especially at motorway speeds where the din requires the radio to be cranked right up. Same for you ?

Yes, same problem.

I concur with loud noise assessment. I have a '13 Touring model 2.0L AWD with the 17" Yokohama Geolandars, and have found the tires to have loud rolling tread noise, even at low speeds 15-25 mph). I noticed the wind noise above 55 mph also, and that was both before and after I installed the rain vents on the windows. After these tired are worn I plan on replacing with Michelins. Speaking of which, a nice set of Michelins pre-mounted on new rims from TireRack.com sound nice, has anyone had luck selling the Mazda alloy rims for some pocket change?

Agreed with this. My '15 model is also quiet... maybe they improved it with the newer model? I dunno.

Many have reported tire noise with standard Yokohamas after signficant miles are accumulated.

Grand Touring 19's are different Toyo tires.

Gents, I replaced those awful Yoko Geos with a full set of Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2 winter tyres. What a difference ! Considerably quieter now, so all you hear is normal noise levels now, and it rides better as well. Thought you would like to know.

Gents, I replaced those awful Yoko Geos with a full set of Michelin Latitude Alpin LA2 winter tyres. What a difference ! Considerably quieter now, so all you hear is normal noise levels now, and it rides better as well. Thought you would like to know.

What size did you substitute?

Back