2023 CX-5 Turbo | Hitch Pitched Whining Noise

That’s exactly my concern. Dealer is giving me a hard time about it and says it’s good now. It’s not. Going to take it back.
Looking at your video you linked that is the classic center support bearing sound the transmissions can get. The bearing is machined into the center case and either can fail on its own or a piece of debris can get inside the cage and damage the balls.

Attachments

• 20231023_105842.mp4
    25.5 MB
  • 20231023_121518 (1).jpg
    20231023_121518 (1).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231023_121509 (1).jpg
    20231023_121509 (1).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 36
Looking at your video you linked that is the classic center support bearing sound the transmissions can get. The bearing is machined into the center case and either can fail on its own or a piece of debris can get inside the cage and damage the balls.
Thank you very much. Does this mean a full transmission replacement is needed? How would I prove this to the dealer?

Thank you very much. Does this mean a full transmission replacement is needed? How would I prove this to the dealer?
Mazda does not usually have a dealer open a transmission to repair it, it's easier for them to send a new unit and then Mazda will remanufacture it. The aftermarket can bore the case out and install a new bearing or what we usually do is replace the middle case half with a new one.

Mazda does not usually have a dealer open a transmission to repair it, it's easier for them to send a new unit and then Mazda will remanufacture it. The aftermarket can bore the case out and install a new bearing or what we usually do is replace the middle case half with a new one.
Thanks. My dealer thinks it’s fixed and there’s nothing wrong with it. What would you ask them to check to change their mind something is actually wrong? They just replaced the transfer case but I still hear it.

Thanks. My dealer thinks it’s fixed and there’s nothing wrong with it. What would you ask them to check to change their mind something is actually wrong? They just replaced the transfer case but I still hear it.
I would ask them if they have a new one on the lot you can drive with them to verify the noise your vehicle is making is present in one on the lot.

I would ask them if they have a new one on the lot you can drive with them to verify the noise your vehicle is making is present in one on the lot.
I was looking at the technical service bulletin below. Is the transaxle problem the same thing as the center support bearing failure?

What’s weird is my Mazda CX-5 is a 2021 model, produced in 9/2020. But, my VIN falls within the applicable model range. Yet the TSB says it’s only for engines produced before 2018. How is that possible?

Attachments

• IMG_2145.png
    IMG_2145.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 47
I was looking at the technical service bulletin below. Is the transaxle problem the same thing as the center support bearing failure?

What’s weird is my Mazda CX-5 is a 2021 model, produced in 9/2020. But, my VIN falls within the applicable model range. Yet the TSB says it’s only for engines produced before 2018. How is that possible?
Yes that will be the applicable TSB. It gets updated from time to time to include different VIN and production dates.

The dealer said Mazda approved the car for a new transmission. However, they said it’ll take 1-2 months for the parts to arrive. The dealer then said it’s likely not anything failing or will cause a breakdown so you can pick up the car and drive it until the parts arrive.

Does this sound normal to you guys? Almost sounds like a cop out of not having to have a loaner car tied up too long. Like: “hey there’s a problem with your transmission but it’s not that bad so you can drive on it until we get the parts in.”

The dealer said Mazda approved the car for a new transmission. However, they said it’ll take 1-2 months for the parts to arrive. The dealer then said it’s likely not anything failing or will cause a breakdown so you can pick up the car and drive it until the parts arrive.

Does this sound normal to you guys? Almost sounds like a cop out of not having to have a loaner car tied up too long. Like: “hey there’s a problem with your transmission but it’s not that bad so you can drive on it until we get the parts in.”
Sounds normal to me. I was offered a loaner but would have been OK driving my car if the loaner hadn't been offered. I was also quoted 1-2 months but the new transmission arrived and was installed much quicker, in 2-3 weeks time.

Back