2023 CX-5 Turbo | Hitch Pitched Whining Noise

An update from me on this frustrating whining noise. We took the car at the dealership for the 5th time and they can hear the noise, however Mazda is deeming it as normal operation of the vehicle. A service technician previously confirmed that the noise is coming from the transmission.

I've recorded some videos recently and you can clearly hear the whining on acceleration and deceleration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86uCFf850Gc&ab_channel=flmiata

At this point we don't know what to do as the noise makes driving the car unbearable without music on at a certain volume level.
Any resolution with this OP? I recently purchased a 2021 Mazda CX-5 GT with around 43K miles on it. Everything was fine until I started noticing this noise. For some reason I didn't pay attention to it first week of driving but now I can clearly hear it. It's exactly what you have in your video. Also when I accelerate around 40-50mph and higher. And when I decelerate it kinda goes down. I already scheduled an appointment for Jan 12 to get trans checked judging by multiple comments here and on Reddit claiming it's transmission. What happened to you, did you get any of that fixed?

I wanted to add today that as either my car ages past the 2,000 mile mark, or due to the cold temperatures, I'm hearing the transmission gear whine a lot more than I did when it was new during the summer and fall. Still doesn't bother me, though.

Guys, this is NOT a problem with the transmission and there is NO fix for it. I'm sorry if it bothers you, but they all do it. It's just an aspect of how it was designed.

I wanted to add today that as either my car ages past the 2,000 mile mark, or due to the cold temperatures, I'm hearing the transmission gear whine a lot more than I did when it was new during the summer and fall. Still doesn't bother me, though.

Guys, this is NOT a problem with the transmission and there is NO fix for it. I'm sorry if it bothers you, but they all do it. It's just an aspect of how it was designed.
Well... few cents from me - that sound I hear does sounds very electrical. I don't know if you ever ridden an e-bike but honestly it sounds like electrical current whine when you accelerate/decelerate. So another reason could be alternator issues. What's more important, another person on Reddit with exact same whine noise managed to get the transmission replaced under warranty. And the noise was gone! It took him 2 trips to dealership, calling corporate and another trip to a third dealership to get it replaced. Soo... I'll get back to this thread after my trip to dealership in January.

ps: funny, I have N7 tag on my CX5

Well... few cents from me - that sound I hear does sounds very electrical. I don't know if you ever ridden an e-bike but honestly it sounds like electrical current whine when you accelerate/decelerate. So another reason could be alternator issues. What's more important, another person on Reddit with exact same whine noise managed to get the transmission replaced under warranty. And the noise was gone! It took him 2 trips to dealership, calling corporate and another trip to a third dealership to get it replaced. Soo... I'll get back to this thread after my trip to dealership in January.

All of my CX-5s have done it from 2014-on. Hard to believe they all had a problem.

Show me the N7!

Attachments

• 20231221_101317.jpg
    20231221_101317.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 48

I have ~15000 miles on my 2023 cx5turbo and I don't have that sound. So while it might be completely normal they all don't have it, at least mine does not so far.

Hello, I have an update regarding my 2021 CX5 Grand Touring. As I mentioned above I noticed the similar subtle whining noise around 40-60mph when accelerating. I was finally able to take it to local Mazda dealership. They revved it and located the source of the noise - the transmission. They contacted corporate and recommended full transmission replacement under warranty. It'll take couple of months to get it shipped to them, but nevertheless I think it's important to let y'all know how things turned out. So it's not normal, it definitely is a transmission noise and yes, Mazda agrees to replace it under warranty.

Hello, I have an update regarding my 2021 CX5 Grand Touring. As I mentioned above I noticed the similar subtle whining noise around 40-60mph when accelerating. I was finally able to take it to local Mazda dealership. They revved it and located the source of the noise - the transmission. They contacted corporate and recommended full transmission replacement under warranty. It'll take couple of months to get it shipped to them, but nevertheless I think it's important to let y'all know how things turned out. So it's not normal, it definitely is a transmission noise and yes, Mazda agrees to replace it under warranty.
That can't be the same noise then. The gear whine noise normally can't be heard just from revving the engine in park.

That can't be the same noise then. The gear whine noise normally can't be heard just from revving the engine in park.
Dunno, but it's a similar story to what others mentioned here and on reddit when it comes to transmission replacement. In fact I think I saved the dealership some time mentioning that it's either trans or alternator according to online complaints lol. They told me they revved it with the hood open and located the source of it at 6th gear.

Dunno, but it's a similar story to what others mentioned here and on reddit when it comes to transmission replacement. In fact I think I saved the dealership some time mentioning that it's either trans or alternator according to online complaints lol. They told me they revved it with the hood open and located the source of it at 6th gear.
Confused...how are they hearing it in 6th gear with the hood open? Do they have a Dyno? Not common at a dealership.

I recently got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the PTO (transfer case I think). They said they check the transmission thoroughly and it should be all set. Unfortunately, I still hear the sound. It is quieter than it was, but it is definitely still there. The dealer said that they can't hear anything after they replaced it. Would you guys bring it back and have them check again? Before, the whirring sound was extremely noticeable (could hear it over the radio). Now its definitely noticeable, but not as loud as it was. I'm just concerned that because the sound is still there, it might still have something to do with the transmission and not just the transfer case.

I recently got the car back from the dealer. They replaced the PTO (transfer case I think). They said they check the transmission thoroughly and it should be all set. Unfortunately, I still hear the sound. It is quieter than it was, but it is definitely still there. The dealer said that they can't hear anything after they replaced it. Would you guys bring it back and have them check again? Before, the whirring sound was extremely noticeable (could hear it over the radio). Now its definitely noticeable, but not as loud as it was. I'm just concerned that because the sound is still there, it might still have something to do with the transmission and not just the transfer case.
Most of us have heard it in our rigs so it sounds like you are now in line with others’ experiences. Monitor to see if it gets worse.

Judging by dozens and dozens experiences online including myself it is transmission. But also sounds like some dealerships refuse to acknowledge that. Is there another one near you you could go to?

Judging by dozens and dozens experiences online including myself it is transmission. But also sounds like some dealerships refuse to acknowledge that. Is there another one near you you could go to?
Thanks. Yeah there is, just means I have to pay a diagnosis fee though.

Also, I have the high pitched whistle at 50+mph which I think some here have said is normal. Not sure if it is or not. But, the sound I am talking about is different. It's almost like a wooing (see my post below). The wooing turns into a whistle at 50+mph lol.

The dealer did nothing about the whistle. They were trying to address the wooing, which I still hear, but it's quieter.

Back