Loud road noise...Is that normal?

vanman79

:
2013 Mazda CX-5
I recently bought a 2013 CX-5 2wd auto and I'm shocked by how loud the road noise is when driving on anything other than perfectly smooth asphalt. I'm really disappointed. Is this common for cx-5's?

A main factor also has to do with tires
My winter tires are noticeably quieter than the ones that came with the car

I recently bought a 2013 CX-5 2wd auto and I'm shocked by how loud the road noise is when driving on anything other than perfectly smooth asphalt. I'm really disappointed. Is this common for cx-5's?

That's not normal (and if it were, it would be noted in all the professional reviews of the CX-5, which it's not).

Road noise in mine is really good, however I am getting some creeks and rattles now (esp if the car was left out in the cold).

Are they the 17" Geolanders?

Many tires can become very noisy midway, or toward the end of their life.
The Geolanders on my Touring are getting down there in tread depth (horrendous tread wear rating), and became very noisy at 18K miles or so.

So, they're new? You bought a pre-owned CX-5 w/ relatively newish OE tires? Kinda odd.
2,000 miles? Do you have a tread depth measurement?

Anyway, I noticed they were noisy from the get-go. But certainly not obstructively so until they were well worn.

I bought a brand new 2.2L 2WD Auto and it makes a lot of road noise that certainly wasn't present in the identical test drive vehicle. Nice to drive, but the road noise is excessive. Sounds like a seal or a some sound deadening is missing somewhere. Actually quite disappointed, but am reluctant to take it to the dealer as I fully expect to get the "cannot replicate issue" response which I've since read that Mazda main dealers are somewhat famous for. Any tips ?

It's unfortunately normal. " Small SUV's tend to have high road and wind noise for the class but the CX5 is even worse". That is a direct quote from Consumer Reports review of the CX5. I also own a Mazda 5 and even though I get a high reading with my sound meter in the 5, the perceived noise seems less. I think the noise seems less in the 5 because the 5 has less wind noise. As one member stated tires play a big part in road noise. The engine noise is also high thanks to minimal sound insulation and direct injection.

At least everything else about the CX5 is great!

The tyres supplied were Yokohama Geolander G98As (225 / 65 / R17). I generally prefer Michelin or Continental. Any one tried either a Mich or a Conti and are they quieter ? Thanks in advance.

I generally prefer Michelin or Continental. Any one tried either a Mich or a Conti and are they quieter ? Thanks in advance.

Modern tire companies make a wide range of sizes and models with different tread patterns, rubber compounds and carcass constructions. It's silly to discuss the quietness of a brand of tire without specifying a particular size and model.

It's unfortunately normal. " Small SUV's tend to have high road and wind noise for the class but the CX5 is even worse". That is a direct quote from Consumer Reports review of the CX5. I also own a Mazda 5 and even though I get a high reading with my sound meter in the 5, the perceived noise seems less. I think the noise seems less in the 5 because the 5 has less wind noise. As one member stated tires play a big part in road noise. The engine noise is also high thanks to minimal sound insulation and direct injection.

At least everything else about the CX5 is great!

I disagree.

Consumer Reports has rarely released reviews that match with my real world experience. Many auto reviewers have commented on the quiet and pleasant cabin.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/2014-mazda-cx-5-week-long-rental-review-family-style-1584461265 :
"The doors closed with a nice thump and when driving it was as close to silent as you could get. We had normal conversation volume during the drive and the baby's crying was much louder than expected because there was almost zero wind noise.
Tire noise is very limited, that was a very nice thing to find on an entry level small SUV."

I have found that road noise is very subjective. It is also very dependent on tires and pavement. On some pavement the CX-5 is whisper quiet, on others, it sounds almost like a roar. In reality, the tire noise is not that much louder, but with very little wind noise, more tire noise is very noticeable. I have also found an acclimation period. I had a 2006 Subaru Forester which wasn't the worlds quietest car, but wasn't bad either. Until I got the CX-5 and drove it for a while and then back to the Subaru - it now sounded like a tank. Overall I find the CX-5 and the Mazda 3 to be fairly quiet but not the quietest vehicles around. But they are definitely competitive for their classes.

I have 28K miles on my GT with Toyo 19" tires, road noise is not objectionable and easily competitive with compact premium SUV like GLK and compact premium sport sedans (C-class, 3 series, A4, IS) from road noise standpoint. The tire noise now is only slightly higher than when the tires were new, but still relatively quiet on most surfaces.

I disagree.

Consumer Reports has rarely released reviews that match with my real world experience. Many auto reviewers have commented on the quiet and pleasant cabin.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/2014-mazda-cx-5-week-long-rental-review-family-style-1584461265 :
"The doors closed with a nice thump and when driving it was as close to silent as you could get. We had normal conversation volume during the drive and the baby's crying was much louder than expected because there was almost zero wind noise.
Tire noise is very limited, that was a very nice thing to find on an entry level small SUV."

You know the first person to comment at the end of that authors opinion says the Jeep Cherokee is quieter! I did some tests with a fairly accurate radio shack sound meter on the highway with my CX5. The sound meter had two settings. One used a frequency range from 500 hz to 10,000 hz, which is the range that the human ear is most sensitive. The other setting changed the range to 32 hz and up to 10,000 hz. With the meter set to the 500-10,000 hz range I got a very respectable 70 db on the highway with somewhat course pavement. This is fairly quiet and someone could easily hold a conversation with a passenger with that reading. When I put the setting to include the lower frequency range the reading jumped to an astonishing 85 decibels. 85 decibels is as loud as a circular saw (with disregard to frequency range). This could explain why some people find the CX5 to be quiet while others find it noisy. Most of the noise entering the cabin of the CX5 is in the lower bass frequencies.

Now we are all entitled to our opinions and I respect anyone's subjective opinion or impressions on how they perceive their own vehicle. Unlike the author of that article CR does a barricade of objective tests to accurately measure one vehicles performance/measurements against another's of the same class and they also give their driving impressions as well. In my own experience (and this is just my own opinion) I have found CR's ratings to be very accurate when I have bought products based on their reviews and tests. To close this so that we do not hijack vanmans thread lets just agree to disagree. :D

Thanks

To close this so that we do not hijack vanmans thread lets just agree to disagree. :D

Thanks

I fail to see how discussing CX-5 road noise is "hijacking" a thread that asked for feedback on CX-5 road noise.

But if it's important for you to have the last word, I'll grant you that.

Took my CX5 2WD auto to the Mazda dealer today. They test drove it and said the road noise was normal. I asked them to check the door seals for fit and they refused. The rumble from the front tyres (Yoko Geolanders 17") is quite unbelievable. This is a brand new car, 2 months old, 1000 miles on the clock. Will be selling this car soon and will not be looking at another Mazda.

And for those who say the motoring press praise the CX5's quiet cabin, you should check out the UK motoring press & journalists who post very mixed reviews about it. WhatCar magazine (a UK favourite) says "... the overabundance of wind and road noise ruins the car’s refinement.". I couldn't agree more.

Took my CX5 2WD auto to the Mazda dealer today. They test drove it and said the road noise was normal. I asked them to check the door seals for fit and they refused. The rumble from the front tyres (Yoko Geolanders 17") is quite unbelievable. This is a brand new car, 2 months old, 1000 miles on the clock. Will be selling this car soon and will not be looking at another Mazda.

And for those who say the motoring press praise the CX5's quiet cabin, you should check out the UK motoring press & journalists who post very mixed reviews about it. WhatCar magazine (a UK favourite) says "... the overabundance of wind and road noise ruins the car’s refinement.". I couldn't agree more.

Drive a new top selling in the class CR-V and the noise is greater both wind and tire..

Back