Loud road noise...Is that normal?

I might as well report back as well - I kissed the noisiest tires (OE 17" Geolandars) I've ever owned goodbye a few months ago, replaced with another set of Yokos - YK580. Not my immediate choice for replacement, but it was a bargain after rebates and such, so I pulled the trigger. Really, the OE Geolandars weren't a bad tire overall, save for the unbelievable noise, after about 10K miles use. They still had a little life, but I finally had enough.

After the YK580s were installed, it was like a different car. Restored so much sorely missed refinement. They're about due for their first rotation. With the YK580, there was a trade off however - definitely lost some sidewall strength. But, a good tire, and especially for what I paid for them.

Man, that looks rough! And I thought the roads were bad around here!

But I imagine you have the 19" wheels. Maybe trade them out for some 17's.

What are you driving on, concrete blocks? It sounds a bit like the old German freeways... not good IMHO.

That is actually with 17" Blizzak tires on and they have been quieter than the 19" stock Toyo tires.
Haha yes, the Michigan highways are definitely some of the roughest, if not the roughest, in the country. That video above was actually one of the smoothest parts of my commute but it was easier to hear because I didn't have music on and the air was off. I know the roads suck so I don't expect the car to be silent, but I did expect it to be a little bit quieter. I'm surprised by how loud passing traffic sounds; almost as if the windows were down.
Jev, yes that whole road is made of concrete slabs.

I still have stock tires and normally go 65-70 on the freeways. I haven't had any complaints as far as road noise, but I took a sample 20 second video of how it sounds like to me with no music on, etc, while on I-405 North.

Last edited:
Back