just ordered a megan catback....

jamesk

:
mazda protege 2002
hey i just ordered a megan catback for my mp5 from protegegarage. im a little excited and i am curious on the sound. what i own now is
obx headers
mp3 ecu
unorthodox udp
awr motormount inserts
aem sri
ms axleback ( will take off and sell, any offers for it would be nice)

is there anything i should be expecting or prepare for when i get the catback? any opinions or sujestiions on my set up? i heard that you need a gasket that doesnt come with it. does anybody have a picture of the gasket so i can pick it up ahead of time? thanks guys.

catless?

it's going to be loud. it may still sound godd but it'll definitly be loud

i have a similar setup only i'm using a Vibrant Muffler. it sounds mean as hell at idle and slow speeds. but boy once i open her up. everybody knows i'm flooring it

yea its pretty loud right now. i dont mind it at all. i still have the stock midpipe so. i guess wtih taking off the ms axleback and replacing it with the megan catback it is going to be a little deeper. idk though, im also doing it for a peformance gain.

With a stock midpipe it should sound good. If you ever go catless, it will be loud as hell. My cattless setup with magnaflow and obx headers was very loud until I turboed it. The turbo quietened it out a bit. If you do anything with your midpipe just change the stock cat out with a highflow.

jamesk said:
hey i just ordered a megan catback for my mp5 from protegegarage. im a little excited and i am curious on the sound. what i own now is
obx headers
mp3 ecu
unorthodox udp
awr motormount inserts
aem sri
ms axleback ( will take off and sell, any offers for it would be nice)

is there anything i should be expecting or prepare for when i get the catback? any opinions or sujestiions on my set up? i heard that you need a gasket that doesnt come with it. does anybody have a picture of the gasket so i can pick it up ahead of time? thanks guys.

Loud as hell and drone like a b**** at highway speeds. Cool if that's your thing, but as far as daily drivability I don't know how anyone could stand it.

Mine with the stock midpipe and header sounds nice but yes it does drone like crazy on the highway. And you also get to look forward to the exhaust hitting the underside of your car near the rear passenger seat. As for the gasket you'll need, it's pretty much like the ones on the midpipe so if you changed yours out you know what it looks like.

I purchased one and modified it for my MSP. I run a Hi-Flo cat on the J-Pipe. I get NO drone what-so-ever at any speed. It does come alive when punched in boost however....

how about peformance gain? and is the gasket that round dount gasket, the same one that connects to the headers?

The "performance gain" your likely to see with any of the aftermarket systems available for our cars is nominal at best. That's with any system on any car though. They are good when used in conjunction with OTHER mods, but on their own they won't really boost performance. Now it will look and sound a hell of a lot better than stock, that's for sure. That's the only reason I've run systems on almost all the vehicles I've owned. On the 350 in my truck it just sounded awesome with a Flowmaster. The RB on my P5 sounds good, doesn't drone, and doesn't look like a straw sticking out from under the bumper...

The gasket is flat oval shaped one like oOo except the outer holes will be cenetered on the middle hole. hope you understand that technical description.lol

gasket.jpg

like this???

jamesk said:
how about peformance gain? and is the gasket that round dount gasket, the same one that connects to the headers?

No...It will connect to the mid-pipe, which comes after the header...and uses a gasket as shown below...

Back