Official Protege5 engine/performance upgrade database (READ BEFORE POSTING ?'s)

Figure this is the best place to ask, I'm looking at getting an intake, preferrably a cold air intake. I was just curious as to what is the best "bang for your buck" so to speak. I'm not looking for the most horsepower, nor do I want the highest price. I'm looking for a solid, reliable intake for a moderately inexpensive price. What do you guys think? The Mazda is a DD, just looking for a couple extra HP and some better mileage and feel like it's not worth spending the money on a nice air filter when I can spend a little more and get a whole new intake.

intake wont give you noticeable gains, only sounds. so ebay. and matt, i think there should also be a second that answers such questions as FusionGT's

FS-ZE higher compression pistons, ported, polished and gasket matched head, Iridium spark plugs, FS-ZE intake manifold, M-factory LSD ++ the list goes on.

Also, I son't see why not a bit more extreme items should be added; like a KL (and maybe RF-TDI) swap or Mazdaspeed/Hiboost turbo kits with or without forged internals be added to the list, just my O2

intake wont give you noticeable gains, only sounds. so ebay. and matt, i think there should also be a second that answers such questions as FusionGT's

I understand that there won't be much for gains, I have one on the Grand Am and it doesn't do much, but I did notice about a 1-2 MPG difference in mileage...

Thanks for the link.

okay thanks guys. i was always curious about twiggys, i had only seen little posts here and there about them.

IIRC there are 20 total sets of Twiggy cams in existence, 10 N/A and 10 for Turbo setup.

You should also include the link for modifying the stock intake, TB coolant bypass, VTCS removal, and 1.8L coilpack swap.

Last edited:
VTCS removal, and technically, the Corksport Power Series Exhaust is a header-back design.

This is a great thread, Matt. But the newbs will still create a thread called "what headers shood I buy, yO?"

Matt, great idea and hopefully this grows into a good thread. The suggestions Flash made are exactly what I was thinking. We could also do a quick explanation of how much each mod will help. Lots of stuff could be done with the thread. I can actually update it as well from time to time if that is cool with you.

Sorry guys, I was out for a good part of the day today. I updated the first post. Mods, please also feel free to update this as I may miss some posts also.

And second, Toms Motorsports made an exhaust? I'd like to get my hands on that. (iagree)

Sorry guys, I was out for a good part of the day today. I updated the first post. Mods, please also feel free to update this as I may miss some posts also.

And second, Toms Motorsports made an exhaust? I'd like to get my hands on that. (iagree)

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

2003-Mazda-Protege5-2436.jpg

Mfactory diff
Quaif Diff
ARP Headstuds
ARP Ex Mani Studs
ARP Main Studs
Pauter Rods
K1 Rods
Wiesco Pistons
Arias Pistons
ACL Bearings
Cometic Gaskets
PAR Gears
GTX Gears
Walbro Fuel Pump

Might also wanna list available body parts and limited run stuff(iSport, Medievil, etc)
lots of stuff can be found in ppls mod lists
i totally agree with this thread and it was a good idea, still links would be awesome... cuz you know the next question will be where do i get it
i'll list more when they pop in my head

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back