Official Protege5 engine/performance upgrade database (READ BEFORE POSTING ?'s)

Thunder header

+1, one of the better ones out there

There is also the Ractive short ram intake, although it does suck really bad... so maybe it might help if we put something on the list to say if some of the parts aren't that good, because I wouldn't want someone to go out and buy a ractive intake, especially after mine fell apart in the engine bay.

AWR Header (super rare)
MP3 Intake Manifold (no vcts)

Mazdaspeed Flywheel (16lb vs 19lb stock)
Fidanza Flywheel (7lb?)
Spec Flywheel (6.8lb?)
NSN 5th gear swap (626 5th gear?)

Last edited:
How about full standalone
1) Micortech
2) Haltech
3) AEM ( Rare need for someone to tune )
4) Emerald
5) Megasquirt ( least expensive of the lot )

Last edited:
Got any links? I'm not really finding anything on Google...

I think they discontinued it. its not on their site, but i do have it on my car. Sounds sexy with a ractive header. heres a pic before i put it on.
*it is a catback, only axleback shown in picture**Bought from a forum member*
P1010572.jpg

M2 performance header don't know much about it but I saw it on google so I figured I'd post it

Engine
Arias 8.5:1 Forged Pistons
Pauter Rods
ARP Studs( Head, Mains, Rod, Intake, Exhaust, Manifold, DP)
Full Engine Rebuild (Balance, Knife Edge, Alignhone)
Mezire Remote Electric Water Pump (Pump speed controlled by Haltech, replaces the thermostat)
AWR 95 Duro Poly U Motor Mounts (All 4)

Transmission
Spec Stage IIIr Clutch Disk and Pressure Plate
Spec 6.8 Lb Flywheel
Quaife ATB LSD
TWM Short Shifter
TWM Shift Ball
PAR Engineering Custom Straight Cut Gears
-1st (2.500. 48mph@7000 RPM)
-2nd ( 1.550. 78mph@7000 RPM)
-3rd (1.100. 110mph@7000 RPM)
- 4th (0.725. 164mph@7000 RPM)
-5th (0.625 201mph@7000 PRM)
-Final( 4.105)

Note: The engine would not likely survive full load in 5th gear at 7000 RPM to be able to go 200+ MPH, These number are here to represent the gear ratios. The fastest to date that this car has gone that was confirmed by GPS was 282 Km/h (175.2 MPH)

Engine Management
Haltech Platinum Sport 1000 (Full Standalone, there is no factory ECU or modules in the car)
RacePac IQ3 Digital Dash (Networked to the Haltech, It is configured to display what you need to see)
AEM Twin Fire CDI Ignition (Multi strike capacitance discharge Ignition)
Haltech RA-10 Hall Effect Converter ( Cam and Crank Position Sensor)
Sequential Injection (Fuel is delivered in milliseconds rather than duty cycle on an open intake valve)
Sequential Ignition (This engine normally operates "Wasted Spark" but has been converted)

Engine Bay
Mezire 45 Gal/min Electric Coolant Pump (Speed controlled through a Solid State Relay by the Haltech)
AN16 Stainless Rad Hoses
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
Mishimoto Double Fan with Shroud (Speed controlled through a Solid State Relay by the Haltech)

Turbo
Steed Speed T3 Manifold
Garrett GT3071 .63
Tial 38mm Wastegate (V-Band flanges)
Tial 50mm Blow Off (Q Valve)
3.5"thick Plate/Bar FMIC
2.5" 304 Stainless DP (Three WB02 sensors, two are used by the Haltech to hold target AFR)
3" 304 Stainless Cat Back
Poly U Hangers

Fuel System
550cc Injectors (Changing out to 1000cc to allow for E85 tuning on a dual map)
Walbro 225L/Min Fuel Pump
AN6 Stainless Fuel Lines
Perrin Fuel Rail
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

Small world...this is same catback I bought back in middle of 2004. It became donor piping for the Magnaflow muffler. Also had Magnaflow hi flow catted flex fitted midpipe made to go with catback. Still runnin that exhaust today. Has held up beautifully. Have only replaced donut gaskets on it once so far and they coulda used it but weren't even leaking or anything like that.

1) Sticky this thread.

2) There should be a mention of resulting power gains...I think a lot of young people or people new to performance tuning might have false expectations. The N/A dyno thread only has 2 names in it - and they were both in the 120's for WHP with full bolt-ons. It should at least be mentioned. Don't expect 14 second quarter miles! Ours only *looks* zoom zoom. ;)

hello all im new here and still not used to the site..but i do have some questions.there is a huge amount of old info and i was wondeing if anyone has new info.....question??????? i want to use the obx header and perhaps an injun air intake...will my .."stock" computer handle the changes and will it be worth the cost..im only after a little more performance not huge amounts..any info will help...i ahve read the protege faq thing and although it is helpful it dpoesnt answer the question about the computer,,,any info will be helpfull thanks guys ....

Your stock ECU (computer) will handle those mods just fine. Mazdas run rich anyway. Something to look into later down the road would be a Mazda MP3 ECU or reflashed ECU, if you don't mind running 93 octane and have a manual trans. That ECU will really wake up your P5 and is the best mod for the money, IMHO.

Welcome to 247, btw! (2thumbs)

This thread seems to be the one to post this question.

Intake Mani- the 626, Any year specifically? or as long as its from the 2.0L?
Cam's and cam gears, any certain brand stick out over the rest?

I'm looking to get some more power out of my engine without throwing in a turbo, any in sight as to what I could do would be great :)

This thread seems to be the one to post this question.

Intake Mani- the 626, Any year specifically? or as long as its from the 2.0L?
Cam's and cam gears, any certain brand stick out over the rest?

I'm looking to get some more power out of my engine without throwing in a turbo, any in sight as to what I could do would be great :)

fsze!

^

I wish, but I don't really have all that much faith in doing an engine swap to my daily driver.
Also, from what I've read.. way to hard to find one of those?

^

I wish, but I don't really have all that much faith in doing an engine swap to my daily driver.
Also, from what I've read.. way to hard to find one of those?

you could use the fsze cams, cam gears with a great increase over stock, but you wont have the high compression ratio internals the FSZE has. definitively something to consider!

you could use the fsze cams, cam gears with a great increase over stock, but you wont have the high compression ratio internals the FSZE has. definitively something to consider!

That is something I may have to look into..

With those cams and gears matched with either the 626 Mani or a modified stock intake manifold and a CAI perhaps I'll be able to get 140HP? LOL :(

Back