Official Protege5 engine/performance upgrade database (READ BEFORE POSTING ?'s)

Matt V

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Tired of seeing new threads everyday where people ask what mods they should do? So am I. Finally, here is an official P5 upgrade database thread to make it easy for everyone to see what is available for our car all in one convenient thread. Please note that this is a user updated thread and your contributions help. Let's move on:

- Intakes
* AEM short ram intake
* AutoEXE ram-air intake
* HKS Super Mega Flow intake
* WeaponR secret weapon intake
* WeaponR dragon intake
* Simota cold air intake
* K&N drop-in filter
* Injen cold-air intake
* ARC intake

- Exhausts
* Corksport catback exhaust
* Racing Beat catback exhaust
* Thermal catback exhaust
* Mazdaspeed "sport" axleback exhaust
* Ractive axleback exhaust
* Bosal stainless steel catback exhaust
* Magnaflow catback exhaust
* JIC Magic SUS DE Type 1 catback exhaust
* Vibrant Performance catback exhaust
* Megan Racing catback exhaust
* Mazdaspeed3 catback exhaust
* Toms Motorsports catback exhaust
* SLS midpipe
* ProtegeGarage midpipe
* MAM midpipe

- Exhaust manifolds
* Auto-EXE header
* OBX header
* SpooledUp Racing header
* Ractive header
* Wagner shorty header
* Tsudo header (OBX replica)
* Thunder header

- Intake manifolds
* 505 Zoom intake manifold
* Mazda 626 intake manifold
* FS-ZE intake manifold

- Cams
* JDM camshafts (Corksport exhaust cam, also)
* Integral camshafts
* Twiggy camshafts

- Engine components
* FS-ZE high compression pistons

- Electronics/spark
* Nology spark plug wires
* NGK spark plug wires
* MP3 ECU (manual only)
* "SpicyorangeMSP" MP3 ECU flash (manual only)
* AFC SS

- Oiling system
* AWR oil pan
* DocB Racing coated oil pump rebuild
* DocB Racing external bypass valve

- Differentials
* MSP LSD differential

- Fuel delivery
* Walbro fuel pump
* Perrin fuel rail

Can I get a sticky?

Last edited:
VERY good idea!(rockon)

I know you said ENGINE but -- might be a good idea to add suspension / springs / struts?

EDIT: my bad, thanks!

Last edited:
Integral cams. Probably cool to post up what links are allowed to be postd do you don't get a hundred (where do I buy this stuff from) questions.

Last edited:
medieval light weight power steer, alternator, water pump pulleys and light weight crank pulley...

rr-racing underdriven crank pulley

unorthodox under driven crank pulley
OBX under driven crank pulley

Last edited:
@ beej well i wouldnt call it a brand, they were made through a group buy on here but yea, those should def be added to the list

A lot needs to be added. I say we just keep posting as we think of it and add links to the sites to buy from. Some stuff obviously not... Like twiggys sine they aren't made anymore but do pop up for sale from time to time.

okay thanks guys. i was always curious about twiggys, i had only seen little posts here and there about them.

i was thinking that exact thing, except that we could only really link to PG couldnt we? since the other sites arent sponsoring the forums..not sure how all that works

that would be a great idea though

Idk I think they should be linked anyway since were all here yo spread word about our cars. But I doubt that will be allowed. You got speedcircuit.

Great idea Matt! Here's what I can do. Lets keep adding to the list and get it as complete as possible and once we reach a decent point I will bring this thread to Antoine attention and see what I can do about making it a sticky. He might see it before I would PM him about it but that is not likely since he is so busy.

Only problems I see is that Antoine is busy and sometimes PMs sent to him go overlooked, and that there is already a thread similar to this in the P5 lounge area:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123624739

While this thread is not as good as this one could POTENTIALLY be, Antoine is picky with having too many sticky threads.

As for links, justanotherp5 has it right when saying that would not be able to put up some of the links, but in all honesty, Google is all that people need to find these parts. Plus some parts can be found on over 20 sites, that's a lot of links which is too much clutter.

What might be good is possibly linking the How-To's for certain items, that would not only give the people an idea of what they might want, but show them the work involved.

We can take that idea even a step further and any member who has one of the modifications done, put their forum name next to the item so people could potentially PM them with any questions. Only maybe one or two names per modification and of course we would only put their name there if they consent to it. That might be a bit much but I am just throwing out ideas to make this thread better.

No matter what though good start, this thread has lots of potential and can become something special. Lets see where this can go and Matt if you want any help organizing the list as people add just let me know, moderators can edit threads as well :)

great idea, maybe some things to add

Injen CAI
Ractive Header
Wagner Shorty Header
Tsudo Header (obx knock-off)
Ebay Catback (supposedly a TC Sporline Replica? or debadged)
Corksport powerseries cams
mp3 Ecu
and maybe ddmtuning HID's since a majority of the people have them on the protege forums

Back